The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
API 2500 hardware vs API 2500 plugin
Old 24th May 2021 | Show parent
Gear Guru

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by djrustycans ➡️
Presumably because of the colour, or lack of?
Yes.
Old 25th May 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyeguy ➡️
Plugin $125.00 Hardware $2500.00

You get what you pay for...I'm guessing.
Not at all, you pay less with the plugin because there are no casing materials, nor parts, nor individual instance testing. So while there is far higher cost to build the software version due to higher complexity, then you have infinite free copies after the initial build which allow profit even while selling for so much cheaper.

I love the plugin. And workflow wise id pick the plugin over the hardware any day.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyandres ➡️
Not at all, you pay less with the plugin because there are no casing materials, nor parts, nor individual instance testing. So while there is far higher cost to build the software version due to higher complexity, then you have infinite free copies after the initial build which allow profit even while selling for so much cheaper.

I love the plugin. And workflow wise id pick the plugin over the hardware any day.
Which plug are you referring to nyandres? Waves? Thanks
Gear Guru

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by raal ➡️
Which plug are you referring to nyandres? Waves? Thanks
The UA version was actually a disappointment IMO.
Tries too hard to sound like the analog version.

The Waves biggest advantage is the compression characteristic itself. Its footprint is really slight( especially when you bypass the analog enhancement which I pretty much do with all of their plug ins).
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Own the HW, use the Waves plug all the time. Dig it. Hardware seems to widen things more than SW (I use it across the drums), but both great tools.
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyandres ➡️

I guess it's just me, but I haven't heard a plugin compressor that I like since they came out!
Lives for gear

42 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by thethrillfactor ➡️

The Waves biggest advantage is the compression characteristic itself. Its footprint is really slight( especially when you bypass the analog enhancement which I pretty much do with all of their plug ins).
UA tried to hard to sound like analog? So sounding close to the analog unit is not a good thing? I can't see that being a bad thing unless you don't like sound and character of the hardware
Gear Guru

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Bucci ➡️
UA tried to hard to sound like analog? So sounding close to the analog unit is not a good thing?
If its not executed to its best...then yes it's not a good thing.

Don't get me wrong, I use alot of the UA plugs and some of the other analog emulations were home runs.

This one was a bit of a let down. Along with the 550A and 550b. The API vision strip is useful though.

Quote:
I can't see that being a bad thing unless you don't like sound and character of the hardware
It's this as well.
Old 26th May 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear
Surprising that anyone would like the plugin more than the hardware! Feedback or Feed-Forward for your uses, Thrill?

I wonder if the hardware responds to stereo signal the same way the plugin does. I find it interesting running a test tone into a certain amount of compression and then panning the test tone hard right or left and seeing if the GR changes or not. Some SSL plugins (and hw clones) for example will maintain the same amount of GR with the signal hard panned and some will compress more when the signal is present in both L & R channels. The Waves API is giving me the same amount of GR regardless. Waves SSL comp does this, too.
Old 29th May 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Kind of on this topic... have you guys tried the recently release Lindell 50 plugin by PluginAlliance... It as an API2500 compressor.
Old 14th August 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
and what about the Acustica Audio Pink 4 plugin ?
Might be the closest emulation to the real hardware?
What do you guys think of it ?
Thanks for sharing your experience
Cheers
Sergio
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
UA tried to hard to sound like analog? So sounding close to the analog unit is not a good thing? I can't see that being a bad thing unless you don't like sound and character of the hardware
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by thethrillfactor ➡️

I agree it sounds a bit cartoony analogue. Too heavy Co pared to the hardware. Like they were trying to hard to make it sound warm. Hardware one is tighter and crisper
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I think the UA plugin sounds great. I compared it to my hardware the other day quite extensively. I use it on drum bus, and the plugin was quite comparable.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
I guess it's just me, but I haven't heard a plugin compressor that I like since they came out!
I’m with you on this and that goes for any plugin.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
I have UA and the real deal and no comparison. I personally think all UA plugins are terrible. Waste of money in my opinion.
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looneytune ➡️
I’m with you on this and that goes for any plugin.
Actually I shouldn't be too critical on plugins. I use eq and limiting plugins, and I think they sound ok. I mostly rely on analog compression.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Actually I shouldn't be too critical on plugins. I use eq and limiting plugins, and I think they sound ok. I mostly rely on analog compression.
It’s ok you can be, I am.

My preference is zero plugins, my music sounds better for it too.

Last edited by Looneytune; 4 weeks ago at 09:13 AM.. Reason: iPhone issues
Lives for gear
Quote:
It’s ok you can be, I am.

My preference is zero plugins, my music sounds better for it too.
Not to derail this too much, but I hear it with compression and saturation and tape. I've yet to hear it with EQ.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Churlish ➡️
Not to derail this too much, but I hear it with compression and saturation and tape. I've yet to hear it with EQ.
Are you saying you like EQ plugins?
Gear Guru

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
I have UA and the real deal and no comparison. I personally think all UA plugins are terrible. Waste of money in my opinion.
UA makes some of the best and useful plugins around.
Especially when running at the higher sampling rates.

Only problem is you need at least 2 Octo cards to run them.
SRS
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
While this thread is not about UA and UAD specifically, I also believe they make some of the best suite of plugins overall of any company out there. There are also other companies that make excellent plugin/software.

I own the UAD 2500 plugin, and also the 2500 hardware, as well as a fair amount of outboard gear. My 2500 hardware unit is not going anywhere, but the plugin is also useful for certain things and does what it is (for the most part) intended to do.
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by sergioelectro ➡️
and what about the Acustica Audio Pink 4 plugin ?
Might be the closest emulation to the real hardware?
What do you guys think of it ?
Thanks for sharing your experience
Cheers
Sergio
I like the EQ from Pink quite a bit. I use it along with my hardware with no problems. The Pink 2500 Comp is hit or miss. If it works well, I'm thrilled and can get great sounds. If it doesn't, an alternative 2500 emu may be tried, or another model entirely.

I've found that Acustica comps to be meh most of the time. When they work, it's great, but they don't always work. I'm not invested in the UAD world.
📝 Reply