Quantcast
PT6 reports from the field? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
PT6 reports from the field?
Old 12th March 2003
Capitol Studios Paris

🎧 15 years
PT6 reports from the field?

So, have any of you upgraded to PT 6 under OS X?

Good or bad experiences to share?

Added features versus potential slowdown?

Plug-in availability issues?
Old 12th March 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
We've had our upgrade lying around for several weeks now but haven't gotten around installing it yet. A full album mix and a 2 week studio lockout booking are preventing messing around with a perfectly good operational system for now. Hell I can't even get into my own studio during the day .

2 Clients of ours have istalled it though (1 I installed myself).

Both are running 'dual boot' ... meaning their system can run either under OS9 or OSX.

- Instalation is as easy as ever under OSX ... few to no messing around with the operation system.

- Audio part was up and running in no time. Available plugin upgrades tricky (don't do it while you're drunk) but any experienced mac user can do it. Ilok authorisations are no big deal.

- Midi ... same story ... needs some configuring and for the ones used to the OMS environment it is only a 3 minute adaption process before you get the hang of it.

- So far I hear nothing but good things ... one of those clients has his system up and running like 10 hours a day and often running backups at night. He hasn't had one single crash in the 10 days he's running it now.

- Digibase ... had a closer look at it the other day. Very nice feature BUT .... you need well organised / well categorised / and especially convenient and uniform file names to realy pull the best out of it. I predict that for most standard users it will be nothing but a much better looking audio import window. Shame ... because it can do so much more.

- speed vs slowing down ... would have to test that myself ... personally I am a little bit sceptic about this background operation / plugin on the fly inserting stuff. Immediately makes me go like 'yea ... but how does it weigh on screenredraws / start - stop / etc etc ... Usually they show you those things in a 6 track demo with virtually no edits. So how about the real world ... 48 tracks with zillions of edits / crossfades / ....

From what I've seen so far ... that stuff does actually work ... for the real world ... I'll have to find that out in due time myself I guess.

What else .... oh plugins ... well ... the most important ones are there .. for me at least ... so I'm ready and set to go .....

Old 12th March 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
The studio I intern/engineer at also has the dual boot thing going on right now with 6.0 on OSX and 5.3.1 on OS9. We haven't used 6.0 for any sessions yet, but it sure looks cool. I think the only thing that is keeping us from going with it is the lack of plugins. I *think* it's autotune that we are waiting for, but if it is, I'm sure we won't be waiting long...

Ian
Old 12th March 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Autotune OSX has been there for 5 days or so ... upgrades from HD are free.
Old 12th March 2003
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
i have been using pt6 for about 2 weeks now..i have a dual boot system...protools 6 has run without a hitch and is so much more elegant to work with...the only problem i have seen is with the midi patch names..none are really available and if you work with a lot of sound modules it really slows down the process..as for os10 it rocks....everything is just faster and actually easier than the old pro tools.......
Old 13th March 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by C.Lambrechts

Both are running 'dual boot' ... meaning their system can run either under OS9 or OSX.

-
A Didgi rep I spoke to recommended getting a dedicated external harddrive and putting OSX and PT6 on that and leaving your current setup alone. Seemed sensible.

-R
Old 13th March 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Seperate drives are definately recomended but it doesn't have to be an external one. The systems I've intalled have seperate internal drives.

That said .. a well installed system on seperate partitions on the same drive should not cause any problems either.

The idea is to keep both operating systems away from each other ... seperate drives is the best way to do that.
Old 17th March 2003
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
have been running pt6 and os10 on the same drive ..not partitions with no problem..use the startup disk utility to switch...all the plugs work in both versions..have had not one problem,
πŸ“ Reply