Fazioli pianos... - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Fazioli pianos...
Old 11th March 2003
Capitol Studios Paris

🎧 15 years
Fazioli pianos...

Hi guys,

Anyone have any experiences, good or bad, with Fazioli pianos?

How would they compare to a Steinway B for studio use?
Old 12th March 2003
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Hi,

I've heard them at Metropolis in London. I thought they sounded better than Yamaha's and more suited to pop/rock than Steinway. However, that was quite a few years ago and I haven't recorded with them, so can't comment on a serious level.
Old 12th March 2003
Han
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I've had the pleasure to play a Fazioli concert grand of 3.10 mtr.

I never heard any grand that sounded as good as this beast!

http://www.fazioli-piano.com/sequoia.html

Peace, Han
Old 12th March 2003
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
I've been recording concerts with a Fazioli 9ft concert grand over the last two years. The piano is good, little on the bright side. Probably quite well suited to rock and pop music. My only reservation is that it has a very noticable change of tone on the break and if tuned sharp becomes extremely bright. They are without doubt good instruments and I have heard many people rave about them, personally I still think there is still no better instrument than a Steinway (thats if its a good one, well maintained).

Steinways are cheaper and they have the name too. I think its unlikely you will ever have someone complain that you have a Steinway in your studio not a Fazioli, but would your customers be the same if the situation was reversed?

Regards

Roland
Old 12th March 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Uh, mmh ...

I thing they are the best, I mean, I prefer this kinda sound as any other piano ...

It might not suit every situation as a steinway, but the character is amazing.

I find it good on solo applications, it is agressive without harshness, I love it.

Very expensive ****

but wada I know, I'm a bass player heh

malice
Old 12th March 2003
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by malice
Uh, mmh ...

but wada I know, I'm a bass player heh

malice
You said it! lol

Regards

Roland
Old 12th March 2003
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
I have never had experience with a Fazolli piano but a studio here in Salt Lake City, UT has one. They talk it up like it is the ultimate piano. When I hear the tracks I am not that impressed. I know it is most likely the engineers that are not capturing this instrument correctly. Sure does turn me off though when I have a piano session to record and need another studio.

Also I do not think that having a Fazolli has brought them any extra work.

Mike
Old 12th March 2003
Mindreader

🎧 15 years
The ones I've played have sounded good to great. I've never played a bad one.

However, they are slightly brighter sounding. Beethoven is better on a Steinway. On the other hand, Chopin would sound quite good on a Fazioli. Fazioli's can 'cut' and react differently to Steinways when bashed hard. For instance, on extremely complicated Chopin with lots of chords I think the Fazioli could become a little harsh.

On the other hand, it's still a great make.

If you're going to buy a piano make sure that you play (or get the best pianists you know) to play every one that you might buy. They'll all chose the same one. That's the difference between buying a world class piano or not. And if no one gets excited by any particular piano, then it isn't there, wait till some more arrive in the country and repeat.

One of my favourite pianos in London is at Angel Studios in the organ room (can't remember if its called B or 2) It's a Groatan Steinweg. I think that was Steinway's grandson. I have sat there for 10 minutes playing only middle C with one finger quite happily 'cos it sounds so nice.

(yeah yeah I can play with the rest of my fingers ha ha)

Good luck anyway. What are you looking for specifically, to buy or just use/hire in etc?
Old 13th March 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I spent a bunch of time on three different Faziolis at the Messe last week - the 228, 278 and 308.

I thought the 228 had an awful action - way too light - and a brittle top end. The 278, on the other hand, was overly dark and difficult to get good dynamics out of - I disliked it the most out of the three.

The 308, however, was without a doubt one of the finest pianos I've ever played - I stayed on the thing for waaaay too long. I find it really hard to believe that all three pianos are made by the same company - especially the 278 and the 308 (which were right next to each other).

Geez...sounds like Goldilocks - this one's too bright, this one's too dark, but this big sucker is juuuust right...

dB
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…