Mic level signals - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Mic level signals
Old 11th March 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Mic level signals

Hi all,

What are your thoughts on max distance between mics and pres? I have my pres in their own portable racks right now but for ease of use I would like to put them in the Control Room. I'm using Mogami multicore throughout and the farthest mic panel is 75' away. Is this too far for mic level signals? If so, what are the ramifications? Thanks for the help.

Ted.
Old 11th March 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Re: Mic level signals

Quote:
Originally posted by Ted
Hi all,

What are your thoughts on max distance between mics and pres? I have my pres in their own portable racks right now but for ease of use I would like to put them in the Control Room. I'm using Mogami multicore throughout and the farthest mic panel is 75' away. Is this too far for mic level signals? If so, what are the ramifications? Thanks for the help.

Ted.
From my experience, you can hit 200-300' without any major degradation of the signal. 75' should be within reasonable standards.
Old 12th March 2003
jon
Capitol Studios Paris

🎧 15 years
I'd agree with NYC Drew, for freelancers working at your place 75' shouldn't bother anyone.

For your own work, you'll probably end up still wanting to put your pres next to the mics in the live room. Youknowhatimean...trying to get that extra 5%, that extra inch or edge to your recording.
Old 12th March 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I think 75' is a non issue.. access to the pres would be a bigger deal to me personally, I want those knobs close by!

Is the room up and running? do we get pics?
Old 12th March 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Thanks guys,

We'll I'm about up, man what a job! We just finished tuning the room and final commissioning of the console(it sounds great by the way). I've been doing the 18+ hour days. I also have another restaurant opening in less than 60 days that I've had to design and do all the plans for. This is crazy! Anyway, there is still a bit to do and A LOT to learn. I'm doing the drum thing tomorrow. The piano sounds great. I have one of those new Soundfield mics on demo and from what I can tell so far it is great on the piano. I had the first Calrec Soundfield in 82 and the've come a long ways. I have some pics but I don't know how to get the damn things up here. Jon went over it with me a couple of months a go and I still am having problems. If I can figure out how to do it I'm ready to post some. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jon, I now know what you were going through recently. I'm glad it's about over...

Thanks,
Ted.
Old 16th March 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I'm using Mogami multicore throughout and the farthest mic panel is 75' away.

In any studio that I have ever worked, 75ft would take you at least two buildings away from the studio, sometimes three (30ft wide row houses in NYC or Boston.) You must be doing things in a BIG way. Those of us who have always lived/worked in "downtown" locations are very jealous......

steve
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…