What monitors are the new ns-10m?
Old 15th April 2005 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
AR18's anyone?
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
I use a pair of AR18's, but I've replaced the woofers with a pair from PSB. It works for me...
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by thethrillfactor
One word...Ebay!!!

I bought a pair for $75.
model number or name please? thank you.
Gear Guru

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by raal

No model number that i can tell.

They are just the older off gray Macintosh powered monitors.

Go to Bob C's website and he has a picture.

And don't tell me you are going to do the "sheep" thing and look for a pair?
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
No model number that i can tell.

They are just the older off gray Macintosh powered monitors.

Go to Bob C's website and he has a picture.

baaaaa baaaaa!!! it's not like they cost 4 grand or something - could be interesting.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
The Genelecs are too 'scoopy' for me.
The opposite of the Yamahas.

On the Yamahas I don't add enough middle (because everything sounds pinchy and nasal)... and I don't add the low bottom i like because it claps out the lousy woofer.
I DO enjoy drawing smiley faces on the white dust covers with a Sharpie.

on the Genelecs I add way too MUCH middle because everything sounds too smooth and hi-fi and un-rocking.

I PREFER to find studios where I can trust and use the big speakers (a dying breed)

But I otherwise bring JBL LSR-28p's with me.
They go LOUD without objection and they work well for me.
I find if I trust them it holds up.

I also like the ATC monitors, but they are quite pricey.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by wwittman
I DO enjoy drawing smiley faces on the white dust covers with a Sharpie.
Ahh, so that was you, huh??...
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
raal: the pic I posted is the model BC uses. When I bought mine, it came with no power supply. Bob was kind enough to send me a power supply for the one's you see in my previous post. Apparently he had an extra. Nice guy!

Model # m6082
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by xaos
raal: the pic I posted is the model BC uses. When I bought mine, it came with no power supply. Bob was kind enough to send me a power supply for the one's you see in my previous post. Apparently he had an extra. Nice guy!

Model # m6082
thank you for the model # sir. yes, he and betty are very nice people indeed.
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
NHTPro A-20 rocks!!!!!!!
no ssl yet
Emes

I got a pair of mackies 8s (that I hardly turn on), NS10s,Wharfdales,Realistic minimus7s

But NONE of these translate like my EMES mini owl
I dont think even the Owl translates as good. but THe MINI owl has me happy
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by djui5
Personally I hate the 1031's. The sound like hell in a hand basket. The low end isn't right, there's no mid's at all..there's a hole in the mid range, the high's are ****ty and unpleasant, the stereo imaging is screwey, and the ear fatigue hit's me within 10 min's. I did spend some time flipping the switches on the back trying to get them to sound better..and with the treble tilt set to -4 they seem better..but whatever. We've got a sub also..the 1092A or something like that. Worst sounding sub I've ever heard. This is what we have at the studio now and it's really annoying.

I'd rather use the 824's, which don't sound a hell of a lot better, but do sound better.

I like the ns-10's...and find them to be very usefull.

My current fav's are the Adam S2.5A's and we've got a pair of Dynaudio Air15's at the studio right now that a producer left till he get's his room build. These monitors sound awesome. I'd like to compare them to the Adam's...but not yet.

Don't forget we are all listening with our own, individual frequency response for each person's ear too! The highs on 1031s are extremely smooth to me, though I don't like the bass much in my room, a little wompy. OTOH, the NS10s sound like a transistor radio to me, and the only I did like them for was judging vocal levels against the track. Otherwise, you would leave a control room, walk back in, and if the playback was on the NS10s, it felt like your ears were popping in an elevator.

You use what works...for you. Whatever the standard is, there will be a new one next year, and the year after...

Remember JBL4313?s
Old 16th April 2005 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Gawd damn right I am. Was listening to someone who used to assist for Bob C talk about him doing balances at really low levels while eating a bowl of cereal. My question: What kind of cereal?

If I thought smearing chicken blood on the console would help my mixes, I'd carry a couple live ones and a bucket with me to the studio. I'm shameless like that.

For the record, as a relative amateur, I *love* NS-10s. It's about trust.
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Don't forget the amp!!!

Yes, NS-10's can sound like crap...

BUT that is if they are driven by a bad amp. Powered up properly the NS10's becomes a great speaker! I use them with a Bryston 4B-ST and I love it. The NS10's are unarguable a great tool for any mix or recording engineer, but if it's the only speaker in the studio your mixes will end up with no midrange OR/AND you will get a permanent headache.

I do most of my work on ADAM S3's, but I always reference with the NS10's. The S3(a) are probably the best choice of any studio-monitor, and they have the greatest transient response ever. If you can't adjust your compressors attack time with those, you never will... I also have a pair of Dynaudio BM6 who sound totally different again, and gives me a third perspective on where my mix is headed. All powered by the 4B-ST.

I recently bought a pair of NHT M-00, and if you are looking for a substitute for NS10 i recommend this pair. They got the same kind of down-to-earth feel as the NS10's. They are powered too, so you don't need to sell your favorite mic to get an amp like the Bryston or so. And they are really cheap. A great solid monitor, not lying to your ears as every other powered monitor in the same price range. Did I mention that they are really tiny and easy to bring with you as well?

If you have more than one setup of monitors you should also try to place them in another spot in your room. At your left, or maybe even rear. It can give you a whole other perspective of what you are working on if you turn your ass around and hear your mix from another angle.

I should mention as well that the NS10's sound very different on a speaker stand than from the top of a mixing console. I've heard somewhere that they originally were designed for being positioned from the meter bridge, and if you put them on a stand with just air below it kinda confirms that theory. Try to put some kind of diffusion, (tilt your preamp rack or whatever), angled like a SSL desk below the speaker and you'll see what i mean.

Well, all in all - to me it's not like it's just one type of monitors that knocks out everything else and does the job perfectly. I would love to see more ADAM S3's around though. But sometimes you need to touch base and hear your mix as the rest of the world eventually will. And for that the NS10's still are, and will always be, the king.
Old 16th April 2005
urumita

🎧 15 years
My initial answer for here (Italy) where I read the studio description sheet is NS10M, it seems that most places have a pair of these. second is the genelec 1031 which most places have and is widely used in broadcast.
I have 1030s (1994) which I like better and new 8050s which are bigger and different, I have a feeling that most 10 series lovers would hate these.
I originally bought 1030s because they sounded just like 1032s which I had been working with and thought that they were the most convenient HQ monitors around.
The fact of having a speaker amp combination that doesn't change can tell you a lot about a place you take it to or new music recorded outside of your jurisdiction.
I use a panasonic boombox with a cd input that I mix on for 90% of everything. I've heard just about everything and have worked extensively on Auspergers with TAD, UREI 813 with Cerwin Vega, Big Reds (favorites), LGM 12, DMT15 and thedouble woofer tannoys, all types of nears, mids and minis
I've been working between the boombox and the 1030s for ten years and together they're my NS10s, everyone has to find theirs.
My problem with the 1030 is that they're too forgiving, they'll let you hear something that shouldn't be heard on most systems. I have to limit my brain instead of letting the monitor do it for me, the boombox doesn't hurt!
It's fuuny that ADAMs would be considered a new NS10 in relation to the price (10 times) are we that much richer?
Gear Guru

1031s and Mackies are in a lot of the post rooms, but that's been going on for a while.

What's the new trend? ... hopefully it's everyone thinking for themselves!

Quote:
Originally Posted by no ssl yet
I got a pair of mackies 8s (that I hardly turn on), NS10s,Wharfdales,Realistic minimus7s

But NONE of these translate like my EMES mini owl
I dont think even the Owl translates as good. but THe MINI owl has me happy
Is the MINI the one for a laptop? that looked good to me ...
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eide
Yes, NS-10's can sound like crap...
Yes, if they're on.

Quote:
BUT that is if they are driven by a bad amp. Powered up properly the NS10's becomes a great speaker! I use them with a Bryston 4B-ST and I love it. The NS10's are unarguable a great tool for any mix or recording engineer,
No.
That's just not true.
If you LIKE them and they WORK for you, then great.
But I've heard them with Bryston 4B's numerous times (it's what we had in all the Record Plant rooms on the small speakers) and with other great amps in world-class studios all over the world.
They consistently sound like crap to me.
I don't care if you power them with cold fusion.

They are a tool for thsoe who relate to them.
For others they are not.
An they are CERTAINLY not for EVERYONE.

Quote:
The S3(a) are probably the best choice of any studio-monitor, and they have the greatest transient response ever.
You like that absolute hyperbole don't you? {g}
Again they're great for YOU.
Not for EVERYONE.
There's no such thing as "the BEST choice" period.
no ssl yet
emes mini owl

If I wasnt on dialup I'd post a pic. But its not a laptop model it is a speaker with a freq resps that doesnt go as far down as the Emes owl. I never really used the big owl. I know Ecue has one and he says he wouldnt mix on it, so I figure they must be diff
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
I should mention as well that the NS10's sound very different on a speaker stand than from the top of a mixing console. I've heard somewhere that they originally were for being positioned from the meter bridge, and if you put them on a stand with just air below it kinda confirms that theory. Try to put some kind of diffusion, (tilt your preamp rack or whatever), angled like a SSL desk below the speaker and you'll see what i mean.
have a hard time believing they were designed for on-board positioning. if i remember correctly, they were intended as home 'hi fi' spkrs. when they came out -- they were discovered for studio use, then they became a craze. of course i could be wrong - anyone know the actual history of these little guys?
Quote:
Well, all in all - to me it's not like it's just one type of monitors that knocks out everything else and does the job perfectly. I would love to see more ADAM S3's around though. But sometimes you need to touch base and hear your mix as the rest of the world eventually will. And for that the NS10's still are, and will always be, the king.
still have a pair in my living room -- must admit i still play my mixes through those when everything is said and done just to make sure -- maybe i'll sneek 'em back into the studio and see... + dynaudio sub heh - back to the future?
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
If you LIKE them and they WORK for you, then great.
They are a tool for thsoe who relate to them.
For others they are not.
An they are CERTAINLY not for EVERYONE.
Again they're great for YOU.
Not for EVERYONE.
Sorry Wittman, I must have forgotten to write for me at the very end of my post. I didn't intend to sound so didactical and make you all that fuzzy...
Quote:
There's no such thing as "the BEST choice" period.
Quote:
Well, all in all - to me it's not like it's just one type of monitors that knocks out everything else and does the job perfectly.
Well, I guess we agree on that one. What kind of monitoring do you favor by the way?
Quote:
Originally Posted by borau
The 10's still sounded like ****.
Quote:
They consistently sound like crap to me.
The NS10's doesn't sound nice at all. Neither does the little mac speakers or a boombox. They are a tool, and if you ask me - a very good one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by borau
Well, I used to use them with an Electrocompagniet(sorry to hear they don't exist anymore BTW.) amp. You know them, right? from your very location.
Yeah borau, spot on. I think the main guy is still making some amps on his own, not in the same scale of production as before obviously.
Quote:
have a hard time believing they were designed for on-board positioning. if i remember correctly, they were intended as home 'hi fi' spkrs. when they came out -- they were discovered for studio use, then they became a craze. of course i could be wrong
raal, you are probably right. It's just something I picked up somewhere on a forum like this if I remember it right. However, a pair of NS10's placed on the meter bridge sounds very different compared to what comes out of it when put on a speaker stand. But so does every monitor I guess.
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
aren't the new passive Adam ANF-10's supposed to be the NS-10 killer?

wonder if it's true it stands for AINT NO ****IN 10's
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Yeah, that's what I heard about the ANF-10 too. I swear by ATC-20's. They don't seem so expensive once you use them a few times. With 20's and my Fostex 6301B's, I hardly have to check the bass on my car stereo anymore

OK, so how many of you guys are over at Ebay looking for little beige Apple speakers right now? Sheesh.
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
NS-10's sound like work.
Clinical, harsh high mids which force you to clean it up. They are not fun, but they can be useful.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by max cooper
OK, so how many of you guys are over at Ebay looking for little beige Apple speakers right now? Sheesh.
who, me? nah... wouldn't be caught dead looking for Model # m6082 apple speakers!!!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
i was talking to a few ppl last week about the same thing.. what are the new ns10m's.. quite a few ppl said passive 20/20's.......
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Any speaker will work as long as you know that speaker.... I think people act like drama queens when they say they "Get Lost" and other phrases like that. If you can use the speaker, hear what things sound like in your car, and you no the difference, then that is all you need. It doesn't matter how expensive they are or cheap. Speakers are relative to the listener. Some people act like babies.... excuses for poor productivity

dfegad

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
another vote for Emes (black tv active)
very clear in the low mids
very spacious image
you can work with them for hours
(highs are pleasant lows are precise)
if the track sucks you can hear where it sucks
heh
also got me a pair of those apple speakers