Quantcast
Telefunken V76 48 volt pantom power supply? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Telefunken V76 48 volt pantom power supply?
Old 3rd March 2003
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Telefunken V76 48 volt pantom power supply?

Hey V76 users... I was wondering what you use for a phantom power supply?

I spoke with oliver at TAB Funkenwerk in seattle and he cautioned me not to use a stock power supply with my V76's as it will fry the input transformer in the V76. He said I need a supply with a "soft start", 5 second ramp up / ramp down feature. I checked everywhere and nobody makes one.

Could this really be a problem? Does anyone have a plan to modify a stock power supply with a "soft start"?

I really love these pre's and dont want to damage them. I just re-capped them and built a rack for them myself. They sound absolutely incredible. I have named them the "buxom German twins", Heidi and Helga.

Thanks for the help,
Dyno
Old 3rd March 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I have a ****load of gear as well as two V76s that were racked up by Oliver, He got his training and career start at Telefunken back in the day.
he knows his ****.
Did you ask him where to get them?
I wouldn't know, as all of my gear has floated past him first.
give him a call.
Old 3rd March 2003
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Re: Telefunken V76 48 volt pantom power supply?

Quote:
Originally posted by Dynodawg
Hey V76 users... I was wondering what you use for a phantom power supply?

I spoke with oliver at TAB Funkenwerk in seattle and he cautioned me not to use a stock power supply with my V76's as it will fry the input transformer in the V76. He said I need a supply with a "soft start", 5 second ramp up / ramp down feature. I checked everywhere and nobody makes one.
hi dyno,

i use a stock phantom power supply. there was nothing fried (yet). iΒ΄m wondering about ... but interessted in a phantom power supply as you describe.

jagarinec
Old 3rd March 2003
SC
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Dynodawg,

Are you sure you understood what Oliver was saying?

I could be wrong, but I would think that the soft-start is for the tubes, to prevent cathode stripping, not the phantom power. I've seen this on a few modern-production tube mics, and Pendulum Audio incorporates this into their pre-amps.

It's really not so critical with pre-amp tubes, though. Oliver isn't wrong, (and yes he definitely knows his stuff) but I wouldn't lose sleep over this.

I agree that if you can find such a supply, it's certainly a good idea as your tubes will last a little longer, but don't sweat it too much.

The warning about frying your input trannies is a completely seperate issue: Since the V's were made to run in Europe, you need a step-down or step-down ac tranny, depending upon where you live.

I've been running my V76's HARD for about ten years with a pretty standard supply. they're fine, and the tubes still test almost new.

If you get further info or clarification from Oliver, please let us know.
===========================================

BTW: does anyone have a strong opinion on the difference between the V76 and a Tab-modified V72 and/ or the Tab V72s?
Old 3rd March 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I'm also loving my dual V 76 rig.
I use a soft starter at the main powersupply. I noticed if you power up a step up (or step down in my case) trafo, you have a very high voltage rise for a split second. In my case from 240 volt to 300 volt and then to normal 220volt.

euhh, I hope you understand my explanation.
Old 4th March 2003
SC
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Andre, that's a good observation, however:

1: shouldn't the caps in the first stage of the V take care of that?

2: how could this possibly damage the input tranny?

3: what does either have to do with the phantom supply, which is regulated?

-That's why I think DynoDawg must have gotten the info slightly wrong.

Hoping for some clarifiaction....
Old 4th March 2003
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
V76 48v power supply

Speerchucker...

I agree with you but Oliver told me they see many input trannys fried because of this. He also said he would send me one but that was a month ago. I have called him 3 times and he says "I'll send one right away", but still no cigar. He quit answering e-mail, so I pretty much gave up on. I think I'll try to modify a stock supply with a soft start feature.

I also have another problem with my best sounding V76, it drops about 7db of gain after it is used for an hour or so. I swapped tubes, cleaned the tube sockets, cleaned the gain switch and replaced all the electrolytic caps. It still drops out.
Has anyone had this happen?

I have Ingo at shinrock in Germany trying to help me figure it out. He seems to be full of knowledge and eager to help.

I love these pre's to death. IMHO I believe they are the best pre ever made, even if they are a pain in the rear at times!

I don't know about the new TAB V72. It is suppossed to sound like the original, but they are months out to order one. I figured I would rather have a 57 chevrolet rather than a 03. At least I own the real deals and I know they are getting real scarce.

Here's the pair I racked myself...
Attached Thumbnails
Telefunken V76 48 volt pantom power supply?-my-racked-v76-s-002.jpg  
Old 4th March 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
The new V72s' that Ollie makes are the ****...I'll be damned if they don't give my V76s' a run for thier money!
and it's one ****ing rack space! with all the bells and whistles.
sucks about the wait, but you must realize that EVERY part of it's construction happens in Ollie's hands. even winding the flippin' transformer.
give him another shot, he's just VERY busy right now.
Old 4th March 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I use some beyerdynamic external phantom power units for this. They are cheap & work. can't see any gain from using anything more esoteric..and besides, I'd rather spend the money on something else..
Old 4th March 2003
SC
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Mike,

what does "run for the money" mean? I would assume that the 72's sound similar, due to having the same input trannies and tubes, but slightly cleaner / faster due to having only half the tubes. I would also assume that they have more distortion and / or compression at higher gain, since the original design was meant for 40 db max.

Even if my assumptions are right, I still have no idea which would be preferrable for a given application. Any thoughts?

I'm looking for 4 channels of primarily drum-pres, to replace a fried API 3124. I'm leaning towards the transistor thing (Vintech, API, Old School Audio, etc) but then again, the early Beatles stuff doesn't exactly suck. Do I want clarity or harmonic coloration?

Also, for applications like vocals, do you prefer the 72's clarity or the 76's richness?

Your thoughts would be most appreciated.
Old 5th March 2003
SC
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
"I also have another problem with my best sounding V76, it drops about 7db of gain after it is used for an hour or so"

Dyno, just a guess, but that sure sounds like a bad tube. -or maybe an intermittent resistor? or a resistor that's cracked and opens up when it gets hot enough.

I would suggest running tone through the thing, and then poking around each resistor with a non-metallic stick or rod. work each one mechanically while watching the level passing through it.

Next, swap the tubes between two units, and see if the problem follows the tubes.

After that, it's time for a trip to TAB. (or Purple Audio)
Old 5th March 2003
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
V76

Speerchucker,

I have swapped the tubes, no difference. I'll try out your idea with the resistors. Does Purple Audio work on these? BTW, Oliver just e-mailed me and says he has a 48v power supply on the way. He just reedemed himself.

Dyno
Old 6th March 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I'll second adam w, I do'nt use ANY phontom from pres in the control all phantom is located in tracking room from a racked phantom power unit.
this is very safe (u know exactly which mic getting the phantom make sure it's not you old rca ribbon... Phantom power also not going through the multicore between the two rooms) and cheep solution (if i had to send each tele or siemens i have to tab I would go bankropt)
Old 6th March 2003
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
"Phantom power also not going through the multicore between the two rooms) "

I'm havin' trouble de-cyphering part of that last response. Can someone translate it for me?
Old 7th March 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by speerchucker
Mike,

what does "run for the money" mean?
Your thoughts would be most appreciated.
well let's see here: a couple of V76's rebuilt, racked, all bells-whisltes added (DI-phase-48v-HPF-internal PSU) would cost you at least 3,000 USD, AT LEAST.
a new V72 costs about 2,300.00 USD.
they both have a wonderful, rich, warm and fuzzy tone.
ones 1 rack space high the other about 4.
does that give you any idea of what "run for the money" means?
Old 8th March 2003
SC
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Nope.

I want to know how they differ sonically. I already know what the price difference is (more like $4,000 + for a racked, rebuilt pair of V76's.)

There must be a difference, becuase Tab is soon going to introduce a new-production V76 type as well as their V72s.

I'm on the4 fence about getting a V72s, hence the question. C'mon, Mike. don't leave me hangin' here!
Old 8th March 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
well I have no clean and fast answer to describe their similarities and differences.
I have found the V76 to be faster and more detailed than the V72. YMMV.
I also think the V76 has a smoother high end.
I really like the V72 on electric guitar.
the V72 may seem to be a bit chunky where as the V76 seems to be more open than chunky...never tubby though.heh
Old 8th March 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
There is a sonic difference from v72 and v76(I like the v72 more) the big advance of the v76 is in it electric design that can produce more than 70db of gain while the v72 can only 34db and 55 after modification.
πŸ“ Reply