Quantcast
Daking Compressors! And other socially avoidant comps - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Daking Compressors! And other socially avoidant comps
Old 1st March 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Daking Compressors! And other socially avoidant comps

Well well, so I hear of this Daking Compressor on the 1176/MC76 thread. Interessssting.rollz

So what's some other not so popular and reclusive compressors you all know ofand respect? Come on, tell your secrets!

I'll start.

Everyone seems to say that the L1/L2 is a ugly corrupting piece of code. I find that when I drop the threshold real low, and set the release to fastest, it can densify a track with a lot of dynamic depth (quiet sounds underlying loud sounds) like nothing else. That effect is often very very useful to control where a sound sits in the mix. Sometimes tracks have all sorts of unrelated quiet harmonics that detract from the aural point. It helps to crush them down so they blend with the loud material. The track then is much cleaner in the mix and doesn't "bleed" unimportant frequencies into other parts of the mix reserved for other tracks.

Anyways,
your turn slutzz.
Old 1st March 2003
Jax
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I hear ya. I like the L1 for the same reasons. I also like the C1, starting out from the "classic compressor" preset. It has a vibe to it... it's own sound that I don't get from my RenComp or any outboard comps of mine. Can't really explain the sound, but I like it.

I also really dig TC Master X. You can go hog wild with it and whatever needs to have its face pressed to the glass GETS IT. I like how it sounds kinda crunchy and edgy too. Great for anything that shouldn't have any dynamic range. Kick drum in super dense hard rock tracks is my favorite use of it.

C1 lives under a tree stump and TC Master X lives in a smelly tent just off the public square, hardly ever seeing the daylight on audio discussion forums!
Old 1st March 2003
One with big hooves

🎧 15 years
The Dakings are pretty cool. I wish I had a pair of 'em around. Maybe later this year. I've used them while mixing a few times, kick, snare, vocals, and bass and always been happy. They don't sound like anything else but they sound classic if that makes any sense. Other things I like are cheap odd-ball compressors. I won't get too specific but the Alesis Microlimiter is pretty cool for some things and I have an Orban that I like a lot on guitars and some vocals.
Old 1st March 2003
Rab
KMR Audio

🎧 15 years
For ProTools, I'm surprised CompressorBank doesn't get more of an airing - I reckon it's the most natural sounding comp plug-in. Also nobody seems to mention the modest LX20 anymore - still useful for crunchy/dirty snares.
Old 2nd March 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I always skip the Waves non rennaisance comp. I'll check it out.
Old 2nd March 2003
Jax
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Rab
For ProTools, I'm surprised CompressorBank doesn't get more of an airing - I reckon it's the most natural sounding comp plug-in. Also nobody seems to mention the modest LX20 anymore - still useful for crunchy/dirty snares.
I like CompressorBank too, I didn't mention it because people talk about McDSP often. It's very useful. The bite control does just what it says, puts some edge into the track... sounds kinda like it expands the HF, but not in an Aural Exciter type of way. The knee control gets as "hard right angle" bump as you could ever want. You've got a PreFilter control with which you can shelf, bell, HP or LP very effectively (with Q and boost/cut), and there's a Release 2 control which I don't understand how it works, but it sounds good to dial in a longer release than the first slider's setting. Plus static and dynamic compression (or off), with a tuneable range and Q adjustment. And you can use the comp in any one of three forms with all these features or just simple compression. Sounds very clear too!

Old 3rd March 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Jax
I like CompressorBank too, I didn't mention it because people talk about McDSP often. It's very useful. The bite control does just what it says, puts some edge into the track... sounds kinda like it expands the HF, but not in an Aural Exciter type of way. The knee control gets as "hard right angle" bump as you could ever want. You've got a PreFilter control with which you can shelf, bell, HP or LP very effectively (with Q and boost/cut), and there's a Release 2 control which I don't understand how it works, but it sounds good to dial in a longer release than the first slider's setting. Plus static and dynamic compression (or off), with a tuneable range and Q adjustment. And you can use the comp in any one of three forms with all these features or just simple compression. Sounds very clear too!

I hear the CompBank as more coloured and find it freaks if pushed hard...unlike the Sony which is clearer and can be pushed much harder without breaking up...I like them both a lot.
Old 3rd March 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Yeah, I like the Sony Compressor a lot, too. For me, it is the most impressive Plug In Comp that I've heard up to date.
Lately, I've found a pretty interesting Freeware-Compressor VST Plugin, that I like a lot, you can download it here:

http://www.digitalfishphones.com/

It's called "fishfillet". (klik on VST Plugins to get there)

Bon appetit, kosi
πŸ“ Reply