Quantcast
i am as addicted to buying gear as the next guy - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
i am as addicted to buying gear as the next guy
Old 14th February 2003
Gear Nut

๐ŸŽง 15 years
i am as addicted to buying gear as the next guy

this might not be the place for such a post....

sure i am as addicted to buying and coveting nice gear as the next guy, but when it comes down to making the music (as a musician, producer, or engineer) often people will find those special pieces of gear that inspires them, a piece of gear that they use and master as a creative tool.

i would love to hear discussions on anything, be it guitar, vox, loops or not loops, keayboards....
it would be good to hear from those who have a passion for making beats and drum programming, what samplers do they prefer to use and why.

anyway i love making music!
Old 14th February 2003
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 15 years
Better monitors, I just stepped up a month back and they make a hell of a difference. Just mixing instead of thinking how the mix will be real world. Only problem now is trusting the speakers and not dipping the mids a little as the V6's used to do this.

What I would love is something they had years ago:-
Bands that could play songs with out you editing the sucker.
Pre-DAW I enjoyed recording a hell of a lot more.
Old 14th February 2003
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 15 years
the most interresting part is if somebodys at your place and doing total different stuff youve never thought of with exactly the same kinda gear .

the most exciting stuff for my ears are effects , a nice sounding delay can change a " dead " sounding source into something real interresting . same for most other fx like distortion etc. a comp used as a fx is a cool tool as well . reverb ??? hmmm ... its good to have sometimes .

dumprogramming & synths :

i still like to chop of some live drums . the old roland boxes are worth every cent too . even if i dont have one . i end up most times looking for that vintage type of sound ... moogs , ... damn i wish i had one . if theres nothing else available than sample cd sounds or modules , i am looking for something natural like hihats etc . best some played loops . i cut em and mix em together to the programmed hihat , same with the bass drums , etc . layering plays a big part in here . audiosounds from cds are in most cases stereo , even if they are just mono . to create some space it helps sometimes to erase the l or r track and place the mono sample in the middle or pan it the way you want it .
i use direct outs to fed effects for the particular sounds . out 1 f.ex is snare dry , out 2 is the same source sound on another output feeding f.ex a spx 90 delay etcetc . first i dont cut anything on the computer , i bring up some stuff and let it play , then i start muting things on my desk . some hours later i know what i like and automate the mutes or cut the tracks .

muting stuff is a nice thing to do anyway . especially if you are working with delays . on any mix usualy u use some . if you have setted up your final mixdown , just go in some different parts of the song and press play and stop it again a like 1/2 bar later , you create those unprogrammable hits of a " hughe track counting " session .

i stop here

Old 14th February 2003
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 15 years
Always interesting with Mic placements and plug selection with other people.
Funny how many guys just use the digi eq/comps as they do work for a lot of things. Also how people rout things is interesting.

Gear wise it really depends on what your doing.
The vibe of the place is cool, I enjoy watching DVD's during sessions lately with the sound off.
๐Ÿ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…