Quantcast
Focusrite ISA 428 Pre? Opinions... - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Focusrite ISA 428 Pre? Opinions...
Old 13th February 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Focusrite ISA 428 Pre? Opinions...

This is more out of curiosity,but I just noticed the release of the new 4 channel ISA Pre-amp... It's the Pre from the ISA 110, and it lists for $1999... not to shabby if you ask me since street prices will be sharply below that.. What do you guys think about the high end focusrite pre's? My only experience is with the control 24.....

thanks,
Jon
Old 14th February 2003
One with big hooves

🎧 15 years
I don't know, something doesn't seem quite right to me about that. $500 a channel list means it'll probably street for about $400 a channel or $1600 (give or take). The ISA110 reissue is/was $1900 street. What's up with that? I smell corner cutting and blue paint. The Focusrite of today isn't the same Focusrite that existed 10 years ago. Still, I hope it's cool because if it is I'd be interested in one (eventually). Still, I have my doubts about it being "the real thing."
Old 14th February 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Well you loose the nice EQ with the 110.
With the ISA430, again meant to be a ISA110 pre, the eq/comp is a bigger draw card then the pre. Which is none to shabby.
How much these new ISA's compare to older ones that had the orginal name I do not know.
Old 17th February 2003
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Focusrite pres

IMHO the new FR mic pres are overrated. Too many switches to go bad (I have had it happen), and they are generally too expensive for the value. The "green series", which I think are in the Protools Control 24, have had problems and I experienced it during a remote session with a brand-new unit. I have also used the Producer Packs and had intermittant issues with the A/D stages.
Sorry, just some bad experience personally but I think there are better values out there.
📝 Reply