Quantcast
Trying ADAMS- what model should I try? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Trying ADAMS- what model should I try?
Old 12th February 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Trying ADAMS- what model should I try?

I'm going to try out some ADAM monitors. They would be to replace my Mackie HR824s.

What's the cheapest model that can get as loud as the HR824s?

I also need a model that has a bass as big as the Mackies cus that's how I like it when mixing.
Old 12th February 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
The size of my room is 180sq ft 10x18. So anything TOO big would be silly. I'm considering the 2.5 and 3 dual speaker models.
Old 12th February 2003
Gear Guru

7 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by faeflora
The size of my room is 180sq ft 10x18. So anything TOO big would be silly. I'm considering the 2.5 and 3 dual speaker models.
Hey Fae,

The 2.5's and 3's are your best bet IMO. Remember, don't expect the ADAM's to be 'pretty' or hyped in the lows. The are dead on accurate, and will reveal every little flaw in your mix that you didn't know existed. But I think that's the way to get a perfect mix. I always hear people talking about 'learning' their monitors...but it's a lot easier to concentrate on everything else when stark reality is staring you in the face, that way you KNOW what's going on without any guessing. If you want big bass, you will need a sub. Good Luck!
Old 12th February 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
i had S2A's and 824's side by side for a number of weeks...i felt the low end in the S2A's was not only tighter, but just as deep, regardless what the specs say. maybe it's something perceptual with that nice port blowing in your face vs. the back firing passive radiator....but i certainly don't feel i'm lacking any low end compared to the Mackies.....but, they're still missing the lowest part of a bass gtr/BD etc, which you find out when checking on genuine speakers of size...which is why i wish i could have afforded at least S3A's. i bet anything bigger than 3A's wouldn't fit well in your room anyway.

the S2A's definitely cannot get anywhere near as loud as the Mackies...i dunno if the 2.5's or 3's get significantly louder...???
Old 12th February 2003
Rab
KMR Audio

🎧 15 years
If they're to replace HR824's, maybe also look at the P22's. As Nathan mentioned, you won't get a "big" bottom end, but what low-frequency content you do get seems accurate and I'd rather have that than a load of flappy nonsense.
Old 12th February 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Re: Trying ADAMS- what model should I try?

>>What's the cheapest model that can get as loud as the HR824s?

if it's fairly accurate, you'll be able to live without the "loud".
Old 12th February 2003
Gear Guru

7 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Kent,

Sometimes you just gotta leave MDonald's poopburgers for a good fillet.
Old 13th February 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Fae,
definitely report back if you try the Adams....
I'm in the same situation with the Mackies...it has taken me about a year to "learn" the Mackies low end and I still struggle at times.
I've been real interested in the Adams as well.

I don't regret getting the Mackies cause for the price(1k/pair)I don't think much else compares...

What are the Adams 3s now like 3800/pair?
But if they are worth I guess they are worth it.
Old 13th February 2003
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
just trying to get higher without knowing what it is about? If so, I'm on the same boat ;-). There is no dealer of ADAMs in my country, so I'm going to listen to them abroad this friday, I'm very curious about the sound, because the I don't really know what to expect ;-), since I know well only events 20/20 and tannoy reveals ;-))))). I'm really taken by the "hype" around ADAMs, but I have to hear it before taking any action of ruining my student account....

good luck
Old 13th February 2003
Gear Guru

7 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Saucyjack
What are the Adams 3s now like 3800/pair?
$4400 shipping included (a big deal considering they are heavy as hell). Everyone has them for the same price as far as I can tell.
Old 13th February 2003
They can be heard on the trade show floor at London's Sound Expo show at Wembley Conference centre, London UK. Last day tomorrow?
Old 13th February 2003
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
you can find them for around 3600 euros (for pair) in germany
Old 13th February 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Kent
faeflora,

You've already mentioned two things that you like about the Mackies that you would like to see replicated (or similar) in a potential new set of speakers.

Out of curiosity; why switch speakers? What are the reasons and is there something in specific that you are looking for? Or perhaps there is something that you feel is lacking. Name brand, quality of sound, anything. It's all valid in my book.

I think that these should be answered (for us, the responding Gearslutters) before we can comment appropriately.

GOOD QUESTION!!! WHY THE **** WOULD I WANT GEAR TO REPLACE SOMETHING THAT I CAN ALREADY WORK WELL WITH?

Well I can work well with Mackies, but I'm also pretty sure that I could work well with NS10s or any monitors if I was able to listen to them first and learn how they sound.

My problem with the mackies is the dynamics. Quiet tracks don't sound much quieter than louder tracks. My Mackies sound are dynamically flat. Maybe that's because I monitor at 95db often.

I also dislike that the mids are not as loud as the bass or the top. When I mix I strain when I need to work on the mids. Mids meaning 300-2000hz. This does not make me happy.

I do like the big bass, but the subbass is actually too loud. Sometimes when I check a mix elsewhere, I find that my bass balances (kick, subkick, beater, bass synth/geetar) are all fudgled up. The Mackies are NOT flat and I know that NO MONITOR IS, but there's some strange bumps and curves and peaks on the Mackies ass. Not good!

Basically, I don't want to have to tweak my mix as much after checking it elsewhere. I'd rather hear what's really in that AIFF file the first time.

Everyone has sullied themselves all over these ADAMS so I'm curious about "the ADAM sound".

Even if I don't change monitors, I'm gonna have to go ultra low fi and pick up one Auratone. What should I power that little cube with? Please reccomend something cheap! yuktyy
Old 13th February 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
what is the price and model of the cheapest ones?
Thanks
BTW... I know very well my old cheap and good Monitor Ones. They are ugly but translate well, better than the guessing games with the 824´s which were a disappointment to me.

Nice week!
Old 13th February 2003
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
Fae, the ADAM 3A's very nice and the others you might want to listen to in that category are the Earthworks Sigma 6.2's and the Quested 2108's.

All different but very sweet.

Lee
Old 13th February 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
No doubt the ADAMs are a step up from your Mackies, but in the price range of the S3-A, you're opening up some very nice options, and it would behoove you to try a few different things in your studio. Lee has some good suggestions, and I'll add to them the monitors I ended up with: the Klein + Hummel O300D. I had the ADAMs here, and the K+H, and a pair of Genelec S30D's. I liked the ADAMs, and the Gens had nice bottom, but the K+Hs were far and away the most neutral, detailed, and best in terms of true "reference"... for me.

In any case, do treat yourself to a careful auditioning process and check a few different things out. If nothing else, you'll learn a lot about what you like and dislike in monitors and what your room is adding to/removing from the equation.

-dave
Old 13th February 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
hey, how many US dollars for the cheapest price of ADAMs?
Thanks
rollz
Old 13th February 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Thanks Lee! What about the passive models? Is it difficult to find separate amps to match it?

Thanks again
I will look and try to listen to them, which is quite difficult here in Brazil!
Old 13th February 2003
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
To get a passive model you have to go into the S-series such as the S1's. The S1's are $1400 a pair and they actually have a woofer that is a little smaller than the P11-A's.

I don't think its hard to find good quality amps. You can go with a Halfer a Carver or a QSC. Not sure I would recommend the Bryston, it sounds a little bright on the top end.

Separate amps ensures you get a high quality amp so that is a good way to go with many different monitors.

Lee
Old 13th February 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Thanks friend!
Of course you will burn me if I use them with PA-150 ( Tascam) or with the budget RA-150 Alesis, right:?
LOL
Old 13th February 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by dave-G
e Klein + Hummel O300D. I had the ADAMs here, and the K+H, and a pair of Genelec S30D's. I liked the ADAMs, and the Gens had nice bottom, but the K+Hs were far and away the most neutral, detailed, and best in terms of true "reference"... for me.
Whoa your avatr picture made me puke all over my keyboard. I can't stand rotating images. That one is like a strobe light.

Anyways, thanks for the suggestions. Do you know of any K+H US dealers? I searched the net and only found german pages and no prices or dealers. How much are those 300's? Are they internally or externally amped?
Old 13th February 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by 20db.com
Fae, the ADAM 3A's very nice and the others you might want to listen to in that category are the Earthworks Sigma 6.2's and the Quested 2108's.
Hi Lee, thanks for the reply.

I'll try to find someone who has the Sigmas and the questeds.

I know there's a lot of options in the 3-4K price range. The problem is, Wa****on Muzac Center AKA HELL doesn't have anything better than Tannoy 800s. Neither does Guitar Center. And I don't know of any high end dealers in Maryland/Washington/DC. Kinda sucks.

So any other reccomendations for my audition list? I've already tried out KRKs (don't like) Genelecs (not for me).
Old 13th February 2003
There is only one

🎧 15 years
does WPS behind levins not carry any higher end speakers? its been a while since i have been there.

its best just to try some out in your CR.
Old 13th February 2003
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
here´s a dealer from germany

don´t know if they ship to USA

http://www.netzmarkt.de/thomann/artikel-145582.html

another. think they do export

http://www.musicstorekoeln.de/englis...r=adam%20audio

ALL PRICES INCLUDING 16% VAT. YOU´LL GET THIS BACK!!!

means 1.595 eur ex VAT = 1709 $ + 160 $ shipping (one piece 16kg incl. insurance) + duty

if you like i can post some 24kbps audio examplesheh
Old 13th February 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Whoa your avatr picture made me puke all over my keyboard. I can't stand rotating images. That one is like a strobe light.
I know, I know... I hate it too. Seemed like a cute idea at the time but it's frickin' obnoxious. When I get a few minutes, I'll put something more pastoral up there.

Quote:
Anyways, thanks for the suggestions. Do you know of any K+H US dealers? I searched the net and only found german pages and no prices or dealers. How much are those 300's? Are they internally or externally amped?
Although the company has been around for some 60 years, they're just starting to import them to the States, so the dealer network is just getting started. If you're in California, call Jeff Briss at Cutting Edge Audio in San Francisco, otherwise PM me and I'll get you connected.

To your other questions, they're internally tri-amped, with transformer balanced analog and AES/EBU digital inputs up to 24/96. They list for a little over $5100/pair but should sell for somewhere around $4500/pair

-dave
Old 13th February 2003
member no 666

🎧 15 years
Quote:
FWIW... the size of the room really doesn't matter that much. I've used my S3-A's in tiny control rooms, and control rooms where you could probably play a game of softball without worrying about hitting anything... they work the same for me in both environments.

What I found was that I prefer the S3-A's to the S2.5-A's. The S3-A (to me) is a no bull**** speaker that gives me the information I require... the S2.5-A's are a better version (as in one where I still find it easier to determine problems within my work) of the "happy guy" monitors... like the 824's and the 1031's [or is it 1033's... the Genelecs that lie to me all the time and tell ****'s great when it ain't].

Best of luck with your search.
Old 13th February 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I think fletcher and the rest of the guys nailed it
I had a set of genelec 1031's for a year or so and then bought my adam S3'A's and my mixes seem to be more honest and transfer better to other listening enviroments. The question is:
Can you handle the truth
daniel
Old 13th February 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
How's the sweet spot with the dual woofer design? Is there any wierd phasing sound?
Old 13th February 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
How's the sweet spot with the dual woofer design? Is there any wierd phasing sound?
I only had both sets of speakers in my studio for a short time but it seems to me that the sweet spot is wider, than with the genelecs. Its a pain in the ass but can you hold on to your current speakers and ab them with another set in your studio?
I've never been all that good a making a judgment outside of my studio about gear. I'm not sure if they still do it but when I bought mine ADAM would let you try them for 10 days or so and if you didn't like 'em you could send them back, just pay for shipping.
Good luck,
daniel
Old 13th February 2003
Gear Guru

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by 20db.com
I don't think its hard to find good quality amps. You can go with a Halfer a Carver or a QSC. Not sure I would recommend the Bryston, it sounds a little bright on the top end.

Separate amps ensures you get a high quality amp so that is a good way to go with many different monitors.

Lee

Lee first of all to compare a Bryston to a Hafler, Carver or QSC is doing Bryston a disservice.tutt

Secondly, the Brystons are far from bright. They are actually pretty colored in the mids. They make the mids more uniformed and the highs less clear. I guess the words people use is "warm"(which is very subjective). Its not as focused as a Classe or Parasound(amps more comparable) but they are useful.
📝 Reply