🎧 15 years
Will it fit in my S4C-As?

Scott
Old 23rd September 2003
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Bryce
The S2.5As now have a 300W amp on the bass driver.

dB
ADAM Audio USA
Thanks Bryce, that is good news. How do you tell if the 2.5's have the 300 watt amp. From which serial numbers did this change take place?

Also what differences are there between the active and passive models (S2.5, S3) other than the amp. Are the boxes different dimensions, do they still have the EQ controls etc.

Finally, what power amps are recommended for the passive S2.5 and S3?
Old 23rd September 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by DigitMus
Will it fit in my S4C-As?
I don't know. I'll ask Klaus.

dB
ADAM Audio USA
Old 23rd September 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by denial
How do you tell if the 2.5's have the 300 watt amp. From which serial numbers did this change take place?
I don't know exactly. The change is fairly recent - it happened in July. It shouldn't be too difficult to find out, though...

Quote:
Also what differences are there between the active and passive models (S2.5, S3) other than the amp. Are the boxes different dimensions, do they still have the EQ controls etc.
Box dimensions are identical. I believe only the active versions have the control panel.

Quote:
Finally, what power amps are recommended for the passive S2.5 and S3?
I'm not sure, and I hate providing inaccurate info. I'll check all of this, and post my findings.

dB
ADAM Audio USA
Old 23rd September 2003
There is only one

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Bryce
I don't think so.

dB
ADAM Audio USA
ouch! hasnt this been what i have been stating for like 3 years now? 300/150/75 is what i said. but 300/150/150 is fine. actually, it should be like 300/200/75.
Old 23rd September 2003
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
S5A-V... seen it in Audiomedia special (black cover: the european guide to pro audio equipment.
Attached Thumbnails
Trying ADAMS- what model should I try?-adam_ad.jpg  
Old 23rd September 2003
There is only one

🎧 15 years
that IS ugly.
Old 23rd September 2003
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
Hey Bryce... Is there any way to upgrade the 300w bass amp. on my older (as in April old) 2.5A's?
Old 23rd September 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Okay, here's the answers to the questions I promised I'd research:

1) There are no thermal problems with the current S3As. There were some on units with the 150W amps that do not have the heat sinks (not surprising), but if you have a pair of those and they're not shutting down, you should be okay. ADAM Germany says they have not seen thermal problems in the units with heat sinks.

As mentioned earlier, the older 150 W units without heat sinks can be retrofitted with them.

2) None of the S4 units with older amps can be upgraded to the new amps easily - the electronics are too different. Doing so would require a pretty decent bit of surgery by someone who is fairly well trained - field replacement is not recommended.

3) Regarding the S2.5As - I was mistaken about what ADAM Germany did to them. While it is true that they were talking about upgrading the bass driver's amp to 300 W (which is what I had believed was the final solution), that did not happen. Instead, they changed the impedance of the woofer from 8 ohms to 4 ohms, changed to a newer power supply, and increased the power supply voltage. That is why the newer S2.5As are louder. Sorry for any confusion - my error.

Klaus says that he's pretty sure that if the pair of S2.5As you are listening to/own have heat sinks, then they have the latest mods in them.

I was, however, correct about the configuration of the S4V-As.

4) Regarding passive units - Klaus says that the S2/S2.5/S3 can be used with amps as small as 50 W per side, but for optimum performance, he recommends more like 100 - 200 W per side (at 4 ohms).

Please let me know if there are any other questions...

Thanks!

dB
ADAM Audio USA
Old 24th September 2003
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
So if I was to upgrade my stereo pair of 2.5A's right now (pre-heatsink/4ohm woofer/new powersupply) to a 5.1 (considering adding 3 to my rig... w/sub) I'd actually have to purchase 3 new ones and then repurchase 2 more, just so that they would be matched and not be overdriving one another?
Meaning the newer 2.5A's that I'd but now, would most likely overpower my old ones then wouldn't they?

<--I'm now going to party with this guy, c-ya!

Thanks for you help Bryce
Old 24th September 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by HypocritePro.
So if I was to upgrade my stereo pair of 2.5A's right now (pre-heatsink/4ohm woofer/new powersupply) to a 5.1 (considering adding 3 to my rig... w/sub) I'd actually have to purchase 3 new ones and then repurchase 2 more, just so that they would be matched and not be overdriving one another?
Meaning the newer 2.5A's that I'd but now, would most likely overpower my old ones then wouldn't they?
The mod only adds a few dB - you should be able to match them pretty easily using the input gain trim pots. Michael W has some of the older 100 W S3-As and some of the newer 150 W S3-As in his 5.1 rig. He was able to balance them with the front panel controls.

BTW - I took a pair of S2-As over to Bernie Kirsch at Mad Hatter Studios today. OMG - talk about Gearslut heaven! I'm still drooling...

dB
ADAM Audio USA
Old 24th September 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
dave, REALLY liking our S2-As....
Old 24th September 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I'm really glad that you guys are pleased...

BTW - I'm planning on making you and Michelle a CD of some of the Renaissance stuff as soon as my #$&*&^% Masterlink is back from being fixed...it should show up in your mailbox next week.

Thanks, Doug!

dB
πŸ“ Reply