The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Trying ADAMS- what model should I try?
Old 13th February 2003
Gear Guru

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by faeflora
How's the sweet spot with the dual woofer design? Is there any wierd phasing sound?

It depends who you ask. I think a dual woofer when done right can yield excellent results.

The biggest thing to get use to is the foldback ribbon tweeter.

There are other choices out there in the revealing category that are just as good(and in my opinion even better),passive and much cheaper.

Two speakers i might suggest are the Dunlavy SM1( my main mix monitor,no longer in production but can be found at closeout prices from some dealers) and the ProAc Studio 100(not like other ProAc speakers, very neutral and well balanced. You may need a sub though for the bottomn octave, but they can be found used for around $675).
Old 13th February 2003
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
Fletcher,

I'm pretty sure you have access to whichever ADAM's you'd like to use...I'm curious why the 3A's and not the larger ones? (4A's or A5's)

Thanks for the help,

-J

Old 13th February 2003
member no 666

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by jritchie
Fletcher,

I'm pretty sure you have access to whichever ADAM's you'd like to use...I'm curious why the 3A's and not the larger ones? (4A's or A5's)
Two reasons... the most important reason: The S3-A's are about as good a reference monitor for the way I want to hear things as exists in any form, anywhere, at any price.

The second reason is because I use these speakers with them sitting on a console meter bridge like 3-4 ft. in front of my face... anything larger and I'd have to put them farther away.... which isn't all that pragmatic for my world.
Old 13th February 2003
Founder

I have the 4's in collumn form.

They are my 'mains' in a small control room.

They are midfield, but close to the front wall as they can go.

I use a ghetto blaster as my 'alt' speakers

Old 13th February 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Radio Snack carries a version of Auratones (by RCA; an inch smaller, and even boxier, but at least shielded), if you can't find originals...and fer christsakes get 2...they're not just about mono compatability.
Old 14th February 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Rader Ranch
Radio Snack carries a version of Auratones (by RCA; an inch smaller, and even boxier, but at least shielded), if you can't find originals...and fer christsakes get 2...they're not just about mono compatability.
WTF??? Two speakers? Screw all of this, I'm going to sell my mackies and just track and mix on an auratone. No, no, wait, I'll just set my 7509s up on the desk in front of me. They get REAL loud so it'll work just fine.

BTW I measured the SPL on my 7509s 1 inch distant, a few db before audible distortion and they were putting out well over 100db! AYIEEEEEEE.rollz

BTW someone asked why aren't interested in the 4a or 5a models. THOSE THINGS ARE $6000 and UP! Momma my wallet! It hurts it hurts! I could buy a good U47 for that much!!!!
Old 14th February 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:

BTW I measured the SPL on my 7509s 1 inch distant, a few db before audible distortion and they were putting out well over 100db! AYIEEEEEEE.rollz
i heard the other day....i'm pretty sure it was an NPR story...an interview with the winner in the latest "loudest car stereo" event or whatever they call it wherever it was etc.......they must have mean it, 'cause it was repeated multiple times, but the winning volume was 174dB.........174?!?!?!?!!!!!!!! how in ****ing hell any glass stayed together in that vehicle is beyond me. i remember hearing a score of 150something for a winner, say, 7-10 years ago (i'm pretty sure he was playing "what a feeling", that flashdance song).

it's hard to believe that , even with the cumulative effect of numerous drivers and tons of power in a very small area, levels could reach that amount for any even briefly sustained period. i mean, isn't it like 200dB that, when focused, can drill through concrete???
Old 14th February 2003
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
ps22

Hi
I got the ps22's. i had tried the mackies before but didnt like the brutal behaviour and i chose to replace my K-ROK's with the ps22's . the adams are easy to listen to and much nicer to work with(with a great result) . i recommend them . M.
Old 14th February 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
do dynaudio acoustics figure in here at all?

i use a pair as well as the trusty ole ns10's. neither are in the same price range as some of the adams, but i thought they were pretty respectable.
Old 15th February 2003
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
I finally heard S3A and I must say it was really a pleasure... balanced sweet sound... I'm beggining to realize what I am missing. Before hearing it we tried mackies, events and tannoy reveals... this category is dead for me now ;-)))) Thanks everyone for suggesting adams here so often...
Old 15th February 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Would anyone care to comment on how ATCs might compare to the Adams? I'm using Meyer HD1 and am considering a change when the control room gets a revamp .

DW
Old 15th February 2003
Gear Guru

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Daire Winston
Would anyone care to comment on how ATCs might compare to the Adams? I'm using Meyer HD1 and am considering a change when the control room gets a revamp .

DW
ATC's makes excellent monitors. Their best one's are ATCSC50.

They sound different than the ADAM's but just as useful.

Monitors/speakers are such a personal thing. You should listen to both in your new place and decide for yourself.
Old 16th February 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
...how are the little brothers the P11A's? Just as accurate with a little less horsepower or a different animal altogether? I've been entertaining getting a pair as the 2.5's etc are out of my p range till I win the lottery.

tks,
Steve
Old 16th February 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Fletcher and other ADAM users,
have any of you tried the passive versions of the ADAM speakers? I can afford the S2.5 actives or the S3 passives. I have a UREI 6260 power amp, which would be the one I'd use if I chose the passives.

I will of course not buy anything without listening for myself, but I'd much appreciate any input.

Cheers
/Henrik
Old 16th February 2003
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
ADAM AIRMOTION TWEETER

Personally, I have a hard time with the Mackies. I think they are worthless as far as imaging is concerned, but I still cannot put my finger on it exactly why even though I have tried a lot of other models (Dynaudio, ATC, Westlakes, ADAM, MEYER, Genelec etc.).

The sound of the ADAMs comes from the new tweater and the hexacone woofers: This tweeter is SUBSTANTIALLY different from any softdome tweeter (whatever material) because going high in terms of frequencies means being able to transmit impulses accurately in the time domain (short = high). Also, I think the MTM configuration (whether in a D'Appolito configuration or not) also contributes to the sound of the monitors (S3A) even though in the S3A, I think, one of the two midwoofers actually receives a different spectrum (not paralleled).
BTW: It might be worth experimenting with different tweeters. The company ETON (www.etongmbh.de) makes those and the hexacone drivers, perhaps even the same that the ADAMs use (same manufacturer?). The Eton AIRMOTION tweeters are $ 285 each at Madisound, the woofers are around $ 100 each. Add to that some decent amplifiers and the ADAMs are not even that expensive....
B.G.
Old 16th February 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Original question:

What's your room size...and your budget?
Old 16th February 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by NYC Drew
Original question:

What's your room size...and your budget?
200 sq feet, $4000 budget. That's for speakers, and amp.
Old 16th February 2003
There is only one

🎧 15 years
personally, i would try and find another $400 and go with the S3-A's.
Old 16th February 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Re: ADAM AIRMOTION TWEETER

Quote:
Originally posted by Bernd G
... even though in the S3A, I think, one of the two midwoofers actually receives a different spectrum (not paralleled)...
In the S3A, One of the 7 1/2" woofers goes from the crossover point (1.6k?- whatever it is), down to 31Hz. The other woofer (really a sub), driven by a separate amp, goes from 150 Hz. down to 31 Hz. This overlap is absolutely seamless to my ear. It's a great concept, as from 150Hz. down, you're effectively doubling the speaker area. That is why one does not need a sub with S3A's, and one of the big reasons I have 5 of them. I have the ADAM sub too, but I only use it for surround work - I never use a sub for stereo.

R
Old 16th February 2003
Gear Guru

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Re: ADAM AIRMOTION TWEETER

Quote:
Originally posted by Bernd G
Personally, I have a hard time with the Mackies. I think they are worthless as far as imaging is concerned, but I still cannot put my finger on it exactly why even though I have tried a lot of other models (Dynaudio, ATC, Westlakes, ADAM, MEYER, Genelec etc.).

The sound of the ADAMs comes from the new tweater and the hexacone woofers: This tweeter is SUBSTANTIALLY different from any softdome tweeter (whatever material) because going high in terms of frequencies means being able to transmit impulses accurately in the time domain (short = high). Also, I think the MTM configuration (whether in a D'Appolito configuration or not) also contributes to the sound of the monitors (S3A) even though in the S3A, I think, one of the two midwoofers actually receives a different spectrum (not paralleled).
BTW: It might be worth experimenting with different tweeters. The company ETON (www.etongmbh.de) makes those and the hexacone drivers, perhaps even the same that the ADAMs use (same manufacturer?). The Eton AIRMOTION tweeters are $ 285 each at Madisound, the woofers are around $ 100 each. Add to that some decent amplifiers and the ADAMs are not even that expensive....
B.G.
The Tweeter is an adaptation of the Oskar Heil tweeter.

There are other speaker designs out there that use them(besides Oskar's own speaker design).

I wouldn't screw around with the tweeters though. If you are not crazy about them(they take some to get used to) than I would suggest to switch monitors.

All propylene,Morel and Hexacone woofers have a pointed sound. Some guys like that sound, others don't.
Old 17th February 2003
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
the crossovers are at 150Hz and at 1800Hz, but I don't think there is something doubled. What I think is:

tweeter plays 1.8-~35kHz
woofer #1 plays 150-1800Hz
woofer #2 plays ~32-150Hz

is this true?
Old 17th February 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
matucha, I lifted this from the Mercenary Audio site:

...The S3 is the choice for demanding recording engineers who need to monitor deep bass in mid sized control rooms. One woofer acts as a full-range driver with the second woofer joining it only below 150Hz. This unusual approach effectively doubles the area and power of the woofer when it needs to respond to deeper frequencies, resulting in an exceptionally tight and punchy low end without compromising midrange performance...

R
Old 18th February 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
being that the p11 and p22s have the same tweeter as the s series, is there a major compromise? Also, isn't the p11's a paper cone, what some people would argue to be less fatiguing or more accurate?
Old 18th February 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I would also love to hear from peeps who have heard the "lower end"(dare I say cheaper?)Adams...particularly in comparision to the Dynaudios and Mackies.
I'm fairly sure most would agree the Adam 2 and 3s are a better monitor than the Mackies but at the end of the day that's not really a fair comparision(at least cost wise....1K vs 4.5K).
Old 18th February 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Saucyjack
I would also love to hear from peeps who have heard the "lower end"(dare I say cheaper?)Adams...particularly in comparision to the Dynaudios and Mackies.
I had a pair of the active event 20/20's I thought they were pretty good for the money. I think they were a good move up from the yamaha ns10m's but I made some good mixes with the yammys so what do I know?
daniel
Old 18th February 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Hmm... Pretty depressing reading the negative comments on the Mackies as these are my main monitors.

Although most if it just seems to confirm my suspicions.

What i have experienced with the mackies (it might be the room or positioning of the speakers) is first of all some strange imaging or a very narrow sweet spot?

It just seems that all panning and imaging is always giving me second thoughts.

I maybe move an inch and then im not happy with the image i just set up ?

To my ear they are not very revealing, details seem to get lost especially in the upper range of the speaker.

The bottom end gave me trouble but i think i have learned to live with it but thats after i got a a Genelec 1092A Subwoofer.

They are loud though....hehe.
Old 18th February 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
The imaging on my Mackies seem ok,but my monitoring sweet spot is fairly dead/treated with Auralex.
The low end on the Mackies is still hard for me to deal with at times and there does seem to be something off about the upper mids....Gtrs in particular sound quite a bit different in my car and other systems...not really worse...just different.All in all I think they are a decent set of monitors for the price but their shortcomings are starting to annoy me.

I'm thinking of upgrading to another set of monitors but I can't afford the upper end Adams(budget is around 1.5K).May can swing the lower end models but I seem to hear less rave reviews on these.Looking pretty seriously at the Dynaudio bm6a's.
Old 18th February 2003
Gear Guru

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Saucyjack
The imaging on my Mackies seem ok,but my monitoring sweet spot is fairly dead/treated with Auralex.
The low end on the Mackies is still hard for me to deal with at times and there does seem to be something off about the upper mids....Gtrs in particular sound quite a bit different in my car and other systems...not really worse...just different.All in all I think they are a decent set of monitors for the price but their shortcomings are starting to annoy me.

I'm thinking of upgrading to another set of monitors but I can't afford the upper end Adams(budget is around 1.5K).May can swing the lower end models but I seem to hear less rave reviews on these.Looking pretty seriously at the Dynaudio bm6a's.

The secret to the Mackies is not to position them as a nearfield, but as a midfield.

At least a distance of 5'-6' from the mixing area.

I know this is a problem in a lot of small rooms, but its the only way to get true imaging an frequency balance on them.

Of course Mackie doesn't tell you that!!!grudge
Old 18th February 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by thethrillfactor
The secret to the Mackies is not to position them as a nearfield, but as a midfield.

At least a distance of 5'-6' from the mixing area.

I know this is a problem in a lot of small rooms, but its the only way to get true imaging an frequency balance on them.

Of course Mackie doesn't tell you that!!!grudge

I've noticed this also thrill. Things sound much better when sitting beyond 3ft. They sound much less distorted and fuggered.
Old 18th February 2003
Gear Guru

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
I've noticed this also thrill. Things sound much better when sitting beyond 3ft. They sound much less distorted and fuggered.
The only way around this for nearfield use is to roll off the bottomn(back switch 75hz).

Actually after the roll off, they end up sounding like NS10's. I wouldn't be surprised if Mackie copied the characteristic(because everyone is use to it) and it would be something that an experienced ear could recognize quickly and adjust.

Of course the bottomn is gone at this point.
πŸ“ Reply