Quantcast
AKG C418 is humming (I think 60 hz) - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
AKG C418 is humming (I think 60 hz)
Old 12th February 2003
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
AKG C418 is humming (I think 60 hz)

I'm working with my patchbays and have come to this. In my live room, I have my wall-mount box that goes to my preamp. I was performing test to make sure the phantom power was flowing.

With my TLM-103 and my AT4050 and Shure SM81, I have no hum. But I'm getting a hum from my AKG C418's. I think it's at 60hz, but I have no means of testing that.

Any ideas why?

Thanks,
Thomas
Old 12th February 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
If it's humming only in that circuit, it's gotta be a ground issue. You've flipped, dropped, looped, or otherwise messed up the ground on either the mic or the circuit. The way to test is to take it out of that circuit and try it in a simpler, more verifiable circuit. If the hum goes away, you have your answer.
Old 23rd July 2010
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
My AKG is humming too

I'm using the most simple rig. I'm connecting it directly to a YAMAHA 02r desk. Trying a C1000 mic, a SM58 mic i get clean signal. When i connect the AKG418 it is humming at unreasonable level. The thing is that this issue always happened with that mics but i thought it was a AC current problem, now i'm running with a power suply and the same problem........

Help!!
Old 23rd July 2010
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterRae ➡️
I'm working with my patchbays and have come to this. In my live room, I have my wall-mount box that goes to my preamp. I was performing test to make sure the phantom power was flowing.

With my TLM-103 and my AT4050 and Shure SM81, I have no hum. But I'm getting a hum from my AKG C418's. I think it's at 60hz, but I have no means of testing that.

Any ideas why?

Thanks,
Thomas
It's a mic with flimsy cord/cable and it's connectors: it has known issues WRT performance over time.

If the other mics exhibit no problems WRT hum, I suspect the mic/cable connector is at fault...
📝 Reply