Quantcast
Guitar cable extentions - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Guitar cable extentions
Old 11th February 2003
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
Guitar cable extentions

I know that guitar cables should only be 20' max and connecting 2 of them together is better than one long one (been using George L's-very cool sounding). What's the best way to connect them? My amps in the amp booth are about 30' from the control room (where I have to play guitar from, since I'm engineering also). The cheezy little 1/4 inch cable connectors haven't sounded so good. Do you ever use a stompbox "bypassed" as a connector? Any tricks?
Thanks.
-Marty
Old 11th February 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I'm not sure where you got the idea that connecting 2 guitar cables together will be better than a single cable of the same length, because it's just not true. The way to avoid noise, level & high frequency loss that's inherant in long unbalanced guitar cables is to use a direct box. This will convert it to a low impedence balanced signal. If you need to revert (re-convert) at the other end, you can either use another direct box in reverse, or an impedence converting transformer (but try to avoid the ones from Radio Shack).

Scott
Old 11th February 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
or, use a pedal of some sort (on or off, your choice) that has a buffered output. These give the signal a good clean 'kick in tha pants' that drives long effects chains or signals a long distance..

There are lots of very good, commercially available buffers... upper ends include Kendrick, THD, Voodoo...lower end includes Boss, Ibanez, etc...or just use a decent wireless unit.

As far as cord length: conventional wisdom confirms your suspicions, but 20' is a bit short for many things...remember Albert Collins used a 150 foot cord...
Old 11th February 2003
member no 666

🎧 15 years
Psssssssst... don't tell anyone... but there's this guy who's a guest moderator this month that makes a couple of boxes that will allow you to run a guitar signal for long lengths at 'low impedance' so you'll get minimal degradation to the tone...
Old 11th February 2003
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
shhhhhhhhhh.... they BOTH could probably "hook you up".
Old 11th February 2003
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
Thanks, folks. I'll definitely look into one of the boxes you mentioned.
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…