Lawson, Brauner, Soundelux, Korby? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Lawson, Brauner, Soundelux, Korby?
Old 10th February 2003
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Lawson, Brauner, Soundelux, Korby?

Hi All-

I'm looking into getting a nice mic for vocals and Front of Kit/vintage drums. My choices seem to be:

Lawson 47MP
Brauner Phantom
Soundelux 195 or iFET
Tracy Korby 47 FET

I'd love the SoundeluxE 47, but have no budget for that. 2K is the ceiling. Opinions? Specifically the Brauner and the Korby, as I haven't heard anything on these in relation to the others. Relative comparisons are welcome. Thanks in advance!
Old 11th February 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Why not a Blue Kiwi......?!grggt
Old 11th February 2003
jho
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Soundelux U99 instead of the U195 IMHO
Old 11th February 2003
Jr. Gear Slut 2nd class

🎧 15 years
If you're not in rush, you may also want to compare the Stephen Paul designed microphones for Studio Projects when they come out. The street price is supposed to be under $2K.
Just a thought.

Chris
Old 11th February 2003
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
The Blue Kiwi and the Studio Projects are considerations, but I'm more inclined to go with the mics mentioned due to name recognition with clients as well as resale value. You just don't hear about people using the Blue stuff that often. Maybe that's a reason to look into it though! I'm just thinking about getting my money out of it if I (gasp!) have to sell it for some reason.

I'm really interested in the Brauner and Korby stuff, because I just don't hear that much about the sound of these.
Old 11th February 2003
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Well, I guess you're right. I'm really looking for a vintage neumann-like sound with more versatility, and a cheaper price tag than a vintage U-47!
Old 11th February 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
i like soundelux

all i can say is that whjen faced with a similar quandry i got a soundelux and its fantastik
Old 12th February 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Just to throw into this discussion.... Tracy Korby's microphones are outstanding. They're not as well known or marketed, but they are very fine mics indeed.

-dave
Old 12th February 2003
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Dave G-

Which ones have you used, and how do they compare tonally with some of the stuff I've listed here? How's his service? I know he does a great job restoring and modding, just wondering about tone versus the others mentioned and how much he'll work with you if something goes wrong/demo stuff, etc. Thanks!
Old 12th February 2003
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Hi, I've used Tracy Korby mics before. A friend of mine has a "U67" type clone. I didn't have a real U67 then to make critical adjustments, but felt that it was close enough with the bottom line being it suited what I was after then (with other microphone options at hand)........I had a Neumann 269 (number may be wrong) at the same time, which is esentially a U67 with a AC701 tube. The Neumann was a bit brighter, which is what it's supposed to be.

I may be wrong, but I think the Korby U67 has some kind of mod/improvement/change over the real U67 design, something he does when he mods real U67's.

I talked to Mr. Korby once about possibly demo'ing a new modular mic, but couldn't arrnage a mutually convenient time to do it. But he seemed to be very cooperative.
Old 12th February 2003
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Brauner Phantom

I have worked with a Brauner Phantom for the last month or so. I also have used aU67, a Microtech Gefell 990 (tube, large diaphragm) and a Studio Projects C3 on the same airy female voice. In addition, I experimented with a combination of preamps/compressors for vocals such as the Sytek (Neotek) Tube preamp, Sytek Class A no transformers, Daking pre/comp. (lots of trannies) and the Focusrite Producer Packs.
I find that most new microphones have a "hyped" top that is very attractive at first, but gets tiring after some prolonged listening. Ultimately I chose the U 67 for the solo voice because it seemed subjectively less hyped and rounder. The Brauner Phantom is a close second, a bit cleaner due to the transistors I suppose. The Brauner of course is simply impressive as an artwork. I love the shockmount, it looks as if it came out of some 1920s silent film. The Brauner, similar to the U67 in its days is a terrific allround mic. It does particularly well on strings (solo), accepts incredibly high SPLs (142 dB!) and it is certainly more reliable than a 35-year old tube microphone. Hope this helps

BG
Old 12th February 2003
urumita

🎧 15 years
I would listen less to advice given to you from others than the microphones themselves. Unless you'd like to make a comparison from a mike that you miss (you don't have any more or have lost access to)
Old 12th February 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by mml
Dave G-

Which ones have you used, and how do they compare tonally with some of the stuff I've listed here? How's his service? I know he does a great job restoring and modding, just wondering about tone versus the others mentioned and how much he'll work with you if something goes wrong/demo stuff, etc. Thanks!
The Korby mics I'm most familiar with are two different CM3s (from when he called them Empyrian). They're certainly Neumann-esque sounding.. like a long-lost brother somewhere in the tone-spectrum between the 47 and 67, but with a more open top than either. Tracy has always been very attentive and responsive about his babies. I spoke to him at length about the CM3 we had at one particular studio; I felt it was a little brighter than I liked and a little bit sibilance-enhancing (really just a little bit on both counts). After discussing my tastes and applications for the mic a bit he had me send it back for some tweaks and an upgrade; he swapped out the backplate, and "tuned" the capsule towards a response he thought I'd be happier with. I was.

In further discussions, he's offered that he can make one of his mics and tune it specifically to sound like another mic; ie: send him a 47 you like and he'll tune one of his to sound like it. I haven't tried this yet, but it sits in the back of my mind, and I'm sure I will sometime.

I've also used a pair of C12A's that he's modded and like those a lot too, and he's done excellent work on my C37A's. He's a rare breed, and a superb craftsman, but not much of a secret any more. They seem to be very busy these days in that shop, and for good reason.

As to direct comparisons to the Lawson, Soundelux or Brauners, I haven't actually done so, but these are all fine mics, each of which would probably excel over the others in specific applications. I strongly suggest you try a few of them out for yourself and see what best fits your needs and tastes.

-dave
Old 12th February 2003
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Thanks guys! I know I have to listen to these things, I just wanted to get some opinions and basic tonal differences. The Korby mics in particular because no one has them around here, that I know of. I'm in LA, so we have pretty much everything here except Lawsons and Korbys to demo. I guess I could really research around and find a studio to rent time in that has some of these. Might be a good time investment when I'm actually ready to buy financially. Thanks again. Keep em comin'!
Old 12th February 2003
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Great thread as I'll be going down this road sooner or later.
I was thinking about Lawson or Soundelux. I had kind of discounted Korby assuming they were too expensive.
Quote:
Originally posted by 7rojo7
I would listen less to advice given to you from others than the microphones themselves.
It's a fair comment, but how realistic a prospect is it to borrow mics?
I would think it would be easier if you lived in a big music area (Nashville or LA for example) and if you were known as a regular customer by the dealer.
I don't think half of these mics are available in the UK anyway. Also, if I was a dealer I'd worry about shipping a $2,000 microphone to anybody that phoned up and asked to hear it.
To cut to the chase....
I'm enjoying reading everybody's experiences and comments.yuktyy
Old 12th February 2003
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Well, I can't afford a Korby tube model, but his Fet version is around $1300. You can check out his mics at vintageloop.com

I'm not sure about UK buyers, but you can always look into it on:

http://www.transaudiogroup.com (Soundelux, Brauner)

and

http://www.lawsonmicrophones.com/

I'm sure you'd have no problem getting any of these, but demoing them is a different story!
Old 12th February 2003
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
A friend of mine and I just got a good chance to compare the E47 and the L47 last night. Going through a Grace, Great River NV, and Chandler preamp into a Radar system. The results that we heard were that they are two great mics. Neither of us had a opinion that one was better than the other. They are close sounding but to us in cardoid mode, the SD had slight more low end width and the Lawson had slight more presence and sheen. When I say slight I am talking slight. Both I'd classify as warm and tube sounding, and I don't think if you had one you would sell it to get the other. There were times when we prefered the Lawson but it was very minimally preferable. They don't sound identical but both are very pleasing sounding.
Old 12th February 2003
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
Man, being in L.A., you can probably find and hear any mic that has ever been made. Like the other posters have noted, picking a mic is extremely subjective and only your ears can tell you which way to go. You didn't ask about the Neumann M149 in your post, but you may find my comparison between the M149 and the Lawson L47MP useful. Can't offer opinions about the other mics listed, have not used them.

My primary goal was to choose one great vocal mic that could do double duty on acoustic guitar. I was no longer satisfied with the TLM103 for those applications and figured it was time to try a mic in a different league. I was chiefly looking for a mic that allows the vocal to be clearly heard, have weight and sit in the mix. Can't help you with how these mics sound on drums because am currently using v-drums (gasp) for writing/recording in my apartment.

I wound up choosing the Lawson, I feel it lives up to manufacturer's claims, really delivers the full-bodied sound I had been looking for. A warm or rich presentation, with just enough high end detail on my baritone vocals. Doesn't have the top end rise/extension of the M149, but I wasn't looking for that attribute for my main vocal mic. To be honest, I wanted a flattering mic, not ruler-straight accurate. On the acoustic guitar, I did not have a clear preference, both L47MP and M149 are superb. FWIW, the Lawson requires significantly more gain then the M149 which has a very high output and low noise floor. I reluctantly sold the M149, couldn't justify the budget to keep both.

Both mics were used with a Pendulum pre, which I consider a very detailed and open sounding unit. With a darker pre, such as a 1272, my opinion may have been somewhat different.

After working with the above mics, I didn't feel it necessary to check out the Soundelux mics which certainly have many fans on these boards. My search, at least for the moment, was over. In case you don't know, Lawson has a ten day trial period so you may as well try one. Good luck.
Old 12th February 2003
Gear Guru

7 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by zenfreud
Lawson has a ten day trial period so you may as well try one. Good luck.
Any Soundelux dealer should be able to provide you with a trial of a microphone also.

http://www.soundeluxmics.com/default.asp
Old 12th February 2003
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by dave-G
I've also used a pair of C12A's that he's modded and like those a lot too, and he's done excellent work on my C37A's.
I've been thinking of having my C-37A looked at. If you don't mind me asking...what sort of work did he do on yours?

-Moze
Old 13th February 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Moze
I've been thinking of having my C-37A looked at. If you don't mind me asking...what sort of work did he do on yours?
Re-skinned one capsule, cleaned and sealed the other, checked/tweaked power supplies, replaced all cables with Gotham, replaced some missing screws, some internal wiring etc. Made 'em real nice!

He does meticulous work, and cares a lot about the results. Outside of Klaus Heyne (who doesn't work on old Sonys), Tracy is the only person I'll send my mics to.

-dave
πŸ“ Reply