Is Apogee next? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Is Apogee next?
Old 10th February 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Is Apogee next?

Hi

I've read that Prism are direct to HD now, are Apogee going to follow, doing away with the need for the Digi boxes? Any timescale? Will it mean new cards to buy for the current range (ie Trak2)? No complaint against the Digi 192 it's a matter of being happy with the Trak2 and saving money on a HD upgrade.

I've heard rumours about Digi being able to outwit any moves in this dept, making external unauthorized convertors reduntant as they pop up. Is there any truth in this? Is it legal, or morally unsound to go down this route if Digi officially do not want us to?

Thanks
Old 10th February 2003
jon
Capitol Studios Paris

🎧 15 years
Re: Is Apogee next?

Quote:
Originally posted by Renie
I've read that Prism are direct to HD now, are Apogee going to follow, doing away with the need for the Digi boxes?
Hi Renie,

I don't know, but I sure hope so!

I'm not sure folks will be at liberty to discuss that kind of info here publicly, but one can always hope.
Old 11th February 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Digi's point of view up to date is that third party interfaces can be used when going through the legacy ports.

I wish they would change their policy on that but it is very unlikely that they will imho.

As for rumours .... when there's smoke .... bla bla ...
Old 11th February 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Thanks Jon and Chris, wait and see then...

Quote:
Originally posted by jslator
To the contrary. It's a moral imperative to go down any route that Digi officially does not want you to.
What are the legalities? and what are Digi's and our rights?
and importantly is it going to be a battle with Digi foxing the process, (how) could they do that with software?
Old 12th February 2003
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Digi's point of view up to date is that third party interfaces can be used when going through the legacy ports.
You don't have to go through the legacy ports with the new Prism. Renie is right, its direct to the card with full digilink connectivity. This is what Apogee and Digi could've done a year ago - but they just couldn't play ball. And, it was probably a good move on Digi's part not to. They wouldn't have sold nearly as many 192's. In their defence, I think if an Apogee box was compatible right of the bat - a lot of people wouldn't have bothered giving the 192 a listen - and they should have - its a pretty good box.

I digress. The Prism costs a lot more than the 192 - maybe that's why digi feels safe letting them do it know - either that or Apogee is the one holding out. I don't know I'm just guessing.

Anyone from Apogee want to comment on the prospect of putting Digilink connectors on Apogee converters ? Its clearly possible for a third party now that Prism has done it.
Old 12th February 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Paul Turpin
You don't have to go through the legacy ports with the new Prism. Renie is right, its direct to the card with full digilink connectivity.

I know, Prism reversed engeneered it. But without digi's permission as far as I know. and that 's what the rumours are about. Kinda curious if ProTools 6.0 will still recorgnise them. That would be an indication of wether digi is going to allow it or not.
Old 12th February 2003
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
Welcome to the world of software development. This is a typical move in the computer industry and one of the unspoken venerabilities of the single box studio and becoming too dependent on a single vendor.

The buying and selling of companies and support for different OS's and platforms was some thing we dealt with every day in the software industry. Digi is simply the Microsoft of the audio industry and I predict you will see a lot more of this type of behavior. With more and more Mac's becoming the preferred PT platform I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to wake up one day and read MS has purchased Digidesign.

Again this is NOT a slam against Digi or daws it is simply a concern that basing an entire studio on a single box solution and vendor can be very dangerous. The more we become dependent on general purpose desktop software products the more vulnerable I feel. The life span of the entire platform could be as little as 36-48 months and that is if you get in early.

Microsoft is famous in the software development world for making changes that break your applications. As a developer our entire business was based on being compatible, otherwise we were hosed. Digi will play this same card because in some sense they have no competition. When a company has no competition they get arrogant and self-serving.

Its hard some times when I step back and look at the industry from a distance. The so called "old school" gear keeps going up in price and all software based stuff is like watching the DOW index.

Lee
πŸ“ Reply