Quantcast
EMT Clone? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
EMT Clone?
Old 8th February 2003
  #1
Gear Guru
 
chrisso's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
EMT Clone?

Has anyone had any hands on experience with The Dynatron?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=23790

It looks good. I like the idea, but I'm almost inevitably disappointed by emulations of vintage gear.
It still ain't cheap either.
Old 8th February 2003
  #2
Gear Guru
 
NathanEldred's Avatar
 
7 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
The review seemed somewhat favorable, but it apparently didn't measure up to the original 250 in a lot of people's opinions. I wonder how it sounds compared to the Kurzweils plate emulations...


http://www.audiomedia.com/archive/re...0-dynatron.htm
Old 8th February 2003
  #3
Gear Guru
 
chrisso's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Thanks for the pointer to the review.
Interestingly, the two things people seemed to find lacking were 'low end' and 'smoothness'. The two things I would want guaranteed in a $4k+ EMT emulation.
Old 9th February 2003
  #4
One with big hooves
 
Jay Kahrs's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
That looks pretty cool. Now why can't anyone make something like that with a $1500 or $2K tag on it?

Also, what are the decay times on the EMT 140? I know it's short and long but what does that translate to in seconds?
Old 9th February 2003
  #5
member no 666
 
Fletcher's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Jay Kahrs
That looks pretty cool. Now why can't anyone make something like that with a $1500 or $2K tag on it?
The Kurzweil KSP-8 has the richness of tone and fullness I've found in things like the EMT-250 [and even pretty damn close to a good 140!]... we found out last week that they're making 1 RU boxes of like the 'under $1k' variety, that they say has a similar tone [but limited function set] to the KSP-8... needless to say we'll give them a try and see if it's bull**** or not.

As for the "decay times" on an EMT-140... they can range from about a second to several seconds. There is a movable "damper" that can be set for longer and shorter decay times... some are changable my remote control from the CR... others need to be changed by hand.
Old 10th February 2003
  #6
One with big hooves
 
Jay Kahrs's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Fletcher
The Kurzweil KSP-8 has the richness of tone and fullness I've found in things like the EMT-250 [and even pretty damn close to a good 140!]... we found out last week that they're making 1 RU boxes of like the 'under $1k' variety, that they say has a similar tone [but limited function set] to the KSP-8... needless to say we'll give them a try and see if it's bull**** or not.
Sounds interesting. Got any idea of when those might be available to the general public?
Old 10th February 2003
  #7
Gear Head
 
agentthumb's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Fletcher
As for the "decay times" on an EMT-140... they can range from about a second to several seconds. There is a movable "damper" that can be set for longer and shorter decay times... some are changable my remote control from the CR... others need to be changed by hand.
I believe our damper moves from short -> roughly 4 seconds...

Kind of off topic, but...Fletcher, do you know of a good place to find documentation on the 140s? I have one that needs some love (been sitting in a closet for years), but I dont have schematics or anything to support it. Any crack technicians I might be able to speak to? Anybody? Bueller? Bueller?

chris
Old 11th February 2003
  #8
One with big hooves
 
Jay Kahrs's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Yeah, James Cunningham. I don't have the contact info handy but a search of R.A.P. on google should pull it up.
πŸ“ Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 324 views: 48923
Avatar for bugscoe
bugscoe 22nd May 2012
replies: 15929 views: 1528404
Avatar for Ragan
Ragan 11th January 2019
replies: 191 views: 28434
Avatar for loudscape
loudscape 4th April 2021
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…

Forum Jump
Forum Jump