Quantcast
Question on the 1176 sound - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Question on the 1176 sound
Old 8th February 2003
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
Question on the 1176 sound

Being somewhat new to this and having never worked in a studio with an 1176, I am wondering what it is about the unit that makes it a legend. What does it do to the signal which makes it such a necessity? What famous recordings have used the 1176 in such a drastic way as to make it stand out as "the 1176 sound". This way I can hear the unit at work. What instruments does the 1176 work best on? Lastly, are there major differences between the new UA units and purple audio units. If I ever consider buying one, I would love to get the purple so as to support my local economy. Thanks!!
Old 8th February 2003
Gear Guru

7 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
They've got a really nice fast attack time but it doesn't sound like it's sucking the life out of the dynamic. They are solid sounding, leaning on the slightly airy side. The Purple Audio MC77/76 sounds a lot the same to me as the UA's....but the Purple has more headroom and more of a hi-fi vibe though, which is what I personally want. The signal gets plenty gunked up from mic to CD, so the larger and wider sounding the piece is the from the start the better it is to my ears. If you are near Purple in NY, definitely make the trip to go visit them. I'm sure they would be happy to give you the red (uh...or Purple) carpet treatment and let you hear the piece. And everybody knows I'm all for supporting the little guy. Let's take it back right!?!
Old 8th February 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I had a reissue 1176 at my place for a month or so recently....In my limited experience I thought it was great on Bass and some Gtrs....I tried to make it work for vocals and sometimes it sounded right but often I felt it was too "grungy" and imparted it's "sound" a little too much..... at least for me(But what the hell do I know).

I ended up with a Cranesong Trakker which had the versatility I needed....a perfect match for the Distressor.

Still would love to try a Purple Audio though.
Old 9th February 2003
One with big hooves

🎧 15 years
I'd say that it's a bit agressive sounding and can make things sound a bit thinner as opposed to thicker. What are they good on? I can't think of many things they sound bad on. Common uses for the pair I have bass, vocals, kick, snare, drum mults, room mics, guitar solos, acoustic guitar, and horns. Sometimes I'll run one in bypass and vary the input gain for the magic that it does.

There isn't a huge difference in tone between the UA's and the Purple. No more then say, the difference between two original 1176's.
Old 9th February 2003
Motown legend

🎧 15 years
I have to admit that I was never all that crazy about an 1176. Virtually every studio in California had at least four of them in 1972. It was better than an old Fairchild but not nearly as useful as an LA-2a, my LA-3as or maybe a Compex limiter. The only vintage limiter that ever got me really excited was an RCA BA-6.
Old 9th February 2003
Gear Guru

7 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Bob Olhsson
but not nearly as useful as an LA-2a, my LA-3as

Hi Bob,

Do you find La's useful on percussion and very dynamic sources?
Old 11th February 2003
Motown legend

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by NathanEldred

Do you find La's useful on percussion and very dynamic sources?
To quote Glynn Johns in LA a few years ago when somebody asked what limiter he had used on drums: "Why the [email protected]# would you ever want to do THAT!"

Seriously the only percussion most people ever used to limit was a bass drum and an LA-2a works great for it. Before 1975 it was pretty unusual to see more than two or three channels of compression in a studio. EMI Studios in London had one built into every console input but that was very unusual.
Old 12th February 2003
One with big hooves

🎧 15 years
Yeah, I see other studios that boast about 30+ channels of compression and limiting. I've got 14 and I don't think I've ever used all of them at once but I still want more flavors. I've always found an LA-2a to be a bit slow on kick or snare. They're great to even things out a bit but if the player needs dynamic control then the 1176 or 160VU is the way to go IMHO. I use slower compressors like the LA-2a on the outside kick and room mics.
Old 13th February 2003
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
these days i compared the 1176 with 1178, api 2500 and distressor on drums.

the ureis sounded very cool on snare. neither of the other compared compressors made this PUNCH with long attack and short release.

on kick drum the api 2500 sounded best to my ears. really deep and dry.

i use the 1178 on bass and guitar too. i love this punchy click in the attack VERY MUCH!!!
πŸ“ Reply