Quantcast
Tube-Tech CL-1B + CL-1A differences??? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Tube-Tech CL-1B + CL-1A differences???
Old 6th February 2003
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
Tube-Tech CL-1B + CL-1A differences???

Anyone know the differences between the Tube-Tech CL-1B and the CL-1A?

Thanks in advance,

Mark
Old 6th February 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
The 1A is point to point, hand wired while the 1B uses more "modern" construction techniques, IIRC.

I own 2 CL-1Bs. I consider them the ideal transparent vocal compressor. People who have ears tell me the 1As sound a little "tougher" and just a bit more aggressive. Being hand wired, that could vary from unit to unit.

I bet Dave Martin might know more than I about this, though.

Regards,
Brian T
Old 6th February 2003
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Hey Brian, you consider the 1 b to be the ultimate vocal compressor? HUm,,, I've been singing into it for the last 10 years. Maybe it needs new tubes? My friend Greg at Pendulum thinks not though. I don't know? I sang through Ben Fowlers Neve compressor a few years ago and loved it. It was deffinately less transparent but I liked that. It seemed to help me. It was fun sort of interacting with the gear whereas the Tubtech seems like it's not there. Maybe I'm just so used to it that the interactioin with my voice is 2nd nature? Maybe I was just noticing the Neve so much as I wasn't used to the way it reacts and it reats more then the Tube tech? Not sure but would like to hear a Neve again to check it out. Have you heard the RNC? Is it for real?

Mitch
Old 6th February 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Hey Mitch, if you're friend with the guy who designs the pendulum gear, you should give their compressors a try. They're supposed to be quite good... FWIW, I too like the LA-3A on vocals. I also have a Neve 2254 (don't know if the model you used...) and while it's often good on vocals it's definitely not a "transparent" compressor... However when it's right, it's freakin' right on!
Old 6th February 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
I also have a Neve 2254 (don't know if the model you used...) and while it's often good on vocals it's definitely not a "transparent" compressor... However when it's right, it's freakin' right on!
Ground....

If u dig the 2254....definately try the 2264 and or the 32264.. its even better imho..

PEACE
Wiggy
Old 6th February 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Re: Tube-Tech CL-1B + CL-1A differences???

Quote:
Originally posted by dumbleator
Anyone know the differences between the Tube-Tech CL-1B and the CL-1A?
I have 2 CL-1As. Someone said something regarding one being hand wired. I thought they simply put the tubes on the inside on the 'B' to protect them, as opposed to the 'A''s tubes being on the outside. (I learn something every day). I thought they were both hand wired.

Most Nashville guys like them for vocals and bass. (Nashville guys (that do country, all have the exact same studio! AND use the same 6 players and the same techniques . . . It's a law there . . . except Steve Earle and Lucinda Williams, and I don't think she lives there) . . . . * joking w/ Dave and Brian.
Michael Wagener does not count. Plus, he's got a strange Nashville accent.

Old 6th February 2003
Gear Guru

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Ianneve
Hey Brian, you consider the 1 b to be the ultimate vocal compressor? HUm,,, I've been singing into it for the last 10 years. Maybe it needs new tubes? My friend Greg at Pendulum thinks not though. I don't know? I sang through Ben Fowlers Neve compressor a few years ago and loved it. It was deffinately less transparent but I liked that. It seemed to help me. It was fun sort of interacting with the gear whereas the Tubtech seems like it's not there. Maybe I'm just so used to it that the interactioin with my voice is 2nd nature? Maybe I was just noticing the Neve so much as I wasn't used to the way it reacts and it reats more then the Tube tech? Not sure but would like to hear a Neve again to check it out. Have you heard the RNC? Is it for real?

Mitch
Right now pound for pound the best tracking vocal comp around in my opinion is the EAR 660. It made me stop using the CL1B(and consequently sell it) 2 years ago. It has all the elements for a great vocal, the right balance of color and transparency plus a little touch of magic.

Its also double the price of the CL1B.

Neve comps can be great for tracking vocals(even though I prefer the "iron"on vocal mixdowns). Sometimes its too much, it depends on the vocalist and mic.
Old 6th February 2003
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Ear 660... Nevah hoid of it. Sound like it's too much $ for me at the moment anyway. I just dropped a ton of dough. Thanks I'll keep it in mind for my next go round. Anyone heard Pendulums new quad thing?
Old 6th February 2003
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
And Greg at Pendulum doesn't give deals to even his friends. Of which I am one. I think? LOL.
Old 7th February 2003
Moderator emeritus

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by BrianT
The 1A is point to point, hand wired while the 1B uses more "modern" construction techniques, IIRC.

I bet Dave Martin might know more than I about this, though.

Nope - you know what I know. Except that I have 3 CL-1B's...
Old 7th February 2003
Moderator emeritus

🎧 15 years
Re: Re: Tube-Tech CL-1B + CL-1A differences???

Quote:
Originally posted by Knox

Most Nashville guys like them for vocals and bass. (Nashville guys (that do country, all have the exact same studio! AND use the same 6 players and the same techniques . . . It's a law there . . . except Steve Earle and Lucinda Williams, and I don't think she lives there) . . . . * joking w/ Dave and Brian.
No, you're right. And every studio has two 1176's, neither of which have had the knobs moved from 10:00 and 2:00 in 20 years.

And did I mention the Master Room reverb?
Old 21st January 2004
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
So would you guys mix through a Neve 32264 Compressor or Shep SNDC6?
Old 21st January 2004
Moderator emeritus

🎧 15 years
Quote:
I wouldn't - I don't own either one of them. But if I had one here, I might.
Old 21st January 2004
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Wow. There's about a 1 year lapse in the middle of the thread, but you wouldn't notice unless you tried. The internet is weird.

Brian T
Old 21st January 2004
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
You made me laugh. :>) Your saying if you had one you would mix through it. I'm just buying one is why I asked. I'm hoping to use it for everything. We will see. How could i not love it? It's a Neve. I LOVE Neve. I love the color. Sounds like music to me.
Old 21st January 2004
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Indeed, as are computers. BUt the wierdest thing is that 1 year went by and you didn't reply till now and it's still not really a reply. :>) And i jsut bought the Neve so I gueess i'll find out for myself if the Tube Tech gets replaced. If it does you wanna buy it? :>)
Old 21st January 2004
Gear Guru

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
I own a pair(32264a) from Ocean Way.

I have mixed vocals through them in the past. They are normally not my first choice though. I normally use them where either i want to hear the compressionon on the vocal or i just need a different color(on males that were tracked to thin). I do the same on females(except i switch to the 2254e).

Its a grear compressor on bass(both synth and live).

In general its a cool all around compressor(my favorite along with the Distressor).
Old 21st January 2004
Moderator emeritus

🎧 15 years
Quote:
You made me laugh. :>) Your saying if you had one you would mix through it.
Actually, I'm saying that if I had one I would TRY it, not that I WOULD mix through it. Big difference.
Old 22nd January 2004
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Ah ha! I see! Hum,,,, Well I think I just bought one so I'm biting off a bit more then I can chew at the moment so I'm hoping I love it. I guess with Shep/Neve you can't really go wrong as it will always be worth what it's worth. I wanted one since I sang through it a few years back. I liked it more then the Tubetech CL1b that I've been useing the last 10 years and was hoping I would get double duty out of it by mixing through it. The way my mind thinks is that if I'm mixing through a vintage Neve it's almost like I'm mixing through a vintage Neve. :>) If ya know what I mean.. > I just thought, how could it be bad? I'm mixing through the D2 Buss in Samplitude. Which is the punchiest of all DAW's and I thought a bit of Neve couldn't hurt. Fingers crossed. I might be selling the Tubetech if all goes well. That will be hard but that's life..
Thanks fellas.
Old 22nd January 2004
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Indeed, as are computers. BUt the wierdest thing is that 1 year went by and you didn't reply till now and it's still not really a reply. :>) And i jsut bought the Neve so I gueess i'll find out for myself if the Tube Tech gets replaced. If it does you wanna buy it? :>)

Ahh, but mine was the first response in the thread, which exhausted my meager knowledge on the difference between the 1A and 1B. Touche'.

Regards,
Brian T
Old 22nd January 2004
Moderator emeritus

🎧 15 years
Quote:
I guess with Shep/Neve you can't really go wrong as it will always be worth what it's worth.
Careful - you CAN go wrong with Neve and with Shep gear. If they're not appropriate for a given application, they'll just be something else to take up rack space. (Just trying to cheer you up...).
Old 22nd January 2004
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
LOL. Man, you guys are really bumming me out. The aplication is music. (hopefully) It can't be bad. :>) I always pick my Neve pre's over any others I've tried, and I've tried um, so I guess I just love that sound. .... I'm a Neve slut. It's a big club. I'm gonna love it. I just know it. Wanna buy an RNC? Can't believe I actually bought one of those. Plugged it in, heard it, never used it. Sitting there for a year. I'll hold on to the tube tech most likely. But will sell the NS 10's and the crown microtech 1200 and a few other things I never use. The NS 10's are 2 years old and plugged in once. BUt that's another topic....
Old 28th January 2006 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Does anyone know what the street price is for a CL-1A? Someone I know is offering one for $1,800 and I'd like to try it out. The B's sell new for $2,500, but is there some reason the A's would hold less value than a B?

- Justin
Old 4th February 2006 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
Justin, id say that the CL1A is worth more than the current CL1B on the A model you have the chance to swap tubes faster, if your into more flavours. 1800$ sounds like a good deal.

Eirik
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Cool. Thanks!
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Re: 1176's in Nashville
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Martin
No, you're right. And every studio has two 1176's, neither of which have had the knobs moved from 10:00 and 2:00 in 20 years.
Wow, old thread.

But that's so funny... heh

Must be a universal thing?!

R.
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
"What is the difference between CL 1A and CL 1B?"

The circuit and functions are exactly the same. The amplifier section in the CL 1A is hardwired. In the CL 1B the transformers and the tubes were brought into the unit and placed on a printed circuit board. The control circuit is on a PCB in both units.
Old 5th February 2006 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
That cracks me up. I can't tell you how many 1176's I have used that have scratchy pots except in the 10 and 2 range. Talk about set and forget!!!!

Great old thread.
Old 5th February 2006 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
I would love to love the joke about the knobs staying in the two positions but I don't know which knobs the values refer to. If someone could just help me out here.....
Old 6th February 2006 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by amathie
I would love to love the joke about the knobs staying in the two positions but I don't know which knobs the values refer to. If someone could just help me out here.....
Basically on the 1176 you have input and output and then attack and release. Some people call it the Dr-Pepper setting after the old adds that said drink one in the morning and afternoon and had a sign pointed to 10 and 2.

Quite a few people never take the input off the 10 Oclock position and the output off the 2 Oclock position. It goes the same for the attack and release.

Hell I was guilty of it for years. 10 and 2 on all and 4:1. Always sounded great but that box is much more than a one trick pony especially if you start messing with the controls.

Sorry to drag off topic so far. Maybe I should say how much I love the Tube Tech Cl1b's.

Michael Greene
πŸ“ Reply