Quantcast
Tube Tech "Pultec" Mid-EQ anyone? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Tube Tech "Pultec" Mid-EQ anyone?
Old 3rd February 2003
One with big hooves

๐ŸŽง 15 years
Tube Tech "Pultec" Mid-EQ anyone?

I've got a guy who's offering to trade his TT "Pultec" mid-eq and a bit of cash for my pair of 160VU's. Now, my love hate relationship with the 160VU's aside how is the EQ in question? I've never used one but I have used the Tube Tech EQP-1A (or 1B) and an original Pultec mid-EQ but the Pultec was a few years ago and I don't remember much abou it. What do you usually use them on? Also, what's a used one actually worth? We were figuring about $1K.
Old 3rd February 2003
Gear Guru

4 Reviews written
๐ŸŽง 15 years
Re: Tube Tech "Pultec" Mid-EQ anyone?

Quote:
Originally posted by Jay Kahrs
I've got a guy who's offering to trade his TT "Pultec" mid-eq and a bit of cash for my pair of 160VU's. Now, my love hate relationship with the 160VU's aside how is the EQ in question? I've never used one but I have used the Tube Tech EQP-1A (or 1B) and an original Pultec mid-EQ but the Pultec was a few years ago and I don't remember much abou it. What do you usually use them on? Also, what's a used one actually worth? We were figuring about $1K.

$1k?

I ditched mine two years ago for around $750.

I thought it was useless(I think all of the TT Pultec ripoffs are all cheesy). But i came up in the NYC studios that kinda gave TT's there reputation. I always felt they were overated(except for the CL1B and maybe the MEP preamp).

I would take the real thing anyday, but they are way overpriced.

I think I would look or ask for something a little more useful.

Just an opinion.
Old 4th February 2003
One with big hooves

๐ŸŽง 15 years
Well, I guess I'm not all that concerned with how similar or dis-similar it is to the real deal, it's more about how useful it is in day to day use. I'm not dying to have a Pultec style mid EQ in my rack. At this point I'd like some API 550's or 554's, and maybe a GML or Cranesong IBIS if I ever find the money for it. Funny though, I've used the TT EQP-1a deal a few times and like them. It's not a Pultec but at this point I can't afford the real deal and I thought the TT was among the better of the knock-off's with the Manley also being pretty cool. The Summit isn't bad either IMHO.

Anyway, thanks for the tips. I think I'll pass on this deal unless he drops his asking price. Even still, I'd have to give up my 160VU's....
Old 4th February 2003
Gear Head

๐ŸŽง 15 years
It seems like some of the great thing about having a pultec is being able to just use them for the transfmormer fatness thing running them without the EQ on. the tube tech just doesnt compare for that. Id say keep your 160s if your using them plus do you find yourself needing another EQ more then another compressor?
Old 4th February 2003
jon
Capitol Studios Paris

๐ŸŽง 15 years
The 2 Tubetech units that are worth buying IMO are the CL1 mono comp and the SMC2 stereo 3-band comp.

Jon
๐Ÿ“ Reply