Quantcast
question about an audio dealer?? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
question about an audio dealer??
Old 2nd February 2003
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
question about an audio dealer??

Has anybody seen or dealt with this guy. His prices on Coles are pretty low, he doesn't take CC's and he is in England. Is this to be trusted. Anybody??
http://www.oneastroman.com/forsale.htm
Old 2nd February 2003
Gear Guru

7 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
$1850 for a pair of 4038's is really low, even considering they are made in the UK where he is. I don't know if this has anything to do with the particular mics he has, but there were a large run of 4038's that were sold directly from the BBC a couple of years back, and the mics were in "new" condition and supplied with actual new accessories and boxes. They were sold at significantly discounted rates, but regardless they are used and of course were not provided with warranty.
Old 3rd February 2003
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
Here is the reply to my email to the dealer in question
Hi,
* mics are factory new & matched (no demo merchandise)
* Factory warranty
* Paypal actually takes 4% for int'l transactions plus calculates on exchange rates at about 1-1.5% to their favor opposite to major banks.
Paypal is a payment option but we need to compensate via a 3% surcharge to the customer if this option is chosen.
* Bank wire selected by most of our customers (bank details by request) or regular check ( clearance time!)
* Our quotes were complete w. shipping & customs charges (USA). For Paypal payments add 3%.

Hope all aspects made transparent....

Best regards

Astroman

What do you guys say. Should I take this price and see if a US dealer can match or should I go for it. Has anybody heard of or dealt with this guy? Thanks!!!!
Old 3rd February 2003
Gear Guru

7 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Manny Grossman
What do you guys say. Should I take this price and see if a US dealer can match or should I go for it. Has anybody heard of or dealt with this guy? Thanks!!!!
I'm not sure if a USA dealer is going to be able to match it unless they have a great desire to lose quite a bit of money (it's well under cost). Remember that any warranty work (that's free anyway) will have to be done in the UK as opposed to having US support since it's being purchased there. But most likely the only thing that will fail is the ribbon from usage (not under warranty) and you could send it to Wes Dooley to have it redone for something like $200+ per microphone (I believe he recently raised his service fee on re-ribboning). I would call Coles UK (not Independent Audio in the US, they won't know) and verify that this guy is indeed an authorized dealer, and take it from there. Good Luck.
Old 3rd February 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Astroman? when did astroboy grow up?

Did he ever furnish you with an actual name? does he have a physical shop? maybe a fello gearslutter in the UK could check it out...
Old 3rd February 2003
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
I just emailed Coles to find out and will post their reply directly. Thanks Nathan!!
Old 3rd February 2003
Super Moderator

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Manny Grossman
I just emailed Coles to find out and will post their reply directly. Thanks Nathan!!
Contacting Coles is a very good idea.

At least it will set your mind at ease. There's no need to worry about it any longer!
Old 3rd February 2003
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by NathanEldred
[B) and you could send it to Wes Dooley to have it redone for something like $200+ per microphone (I believe he recently raised his service fee on re-ribboning). [/B]
Wes is still charging $140/reribboning for rca and coles mic.

Moko
Old 3rd February 2003
Gear Guru

7 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
That's good, he told me a few months back he was seriously thinking about raising it to around $200.
Old 30th October 2010 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
I just found astroman's website, and was wondering if anyone bought off them in these years. This thread is pretty old...

Are they trustable?
Old 30th October 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

5 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
The Astroman is a chimera and exists only on the internet.

Most of the things listed are already "sold" when you go to buy them.

Check out "Helga"---it was never available.

A big ? about Astroman.
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…