The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Recording kick drum which Pres/comps?
Old 14th October 2003
Gear Guru

7 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by SonsofJorel
For a few sessions I've ran the kick and snare into a P.A. set up behind the kit (mics split into console and P.A.) to get a bit bigger of a sound (421 in kick and 57 on snare) The bleed through the tom and overheads can get ya a little more, But, there's a lot of variables to that. and the bottom line is if the kit ain't tuned "properly" then no matter what it's going to be a trainwreck!

You could always do that after the fact, instead of simultaneously, to eliminate the bleed (and probably phase) issues.
Old 14th October 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
As od late, my "happy" kick path is Sennheiser E602, API 3124 , distressor, ADL or 1176 into an API 560 graph.
Old 14th October 2003
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
Suprisingly we didn't run into any phase problems. But the bleed is sort of the concept. the bass drum and snare bleeding through the tom mics and OH's give it a bigger sound. I'm not into gateing toms and OH's so that's sort of a non issue. I've only done it with rock acts and wouldn't bother trying it with any other type of stuff. Mental note this for a DAW rig, I have no idea what would happen if it were going to 2" (scarry thought) Anyway, I guess it comes down to what kind of sound your looking for and the amount of time you have to achive it.
Old 15th October 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Ditto on the E602. This mic is almost like "auto-kick" sound. Just stick it in there and it works. The chain of late has been UA 2108 - Fatso - 192 I/O. Depending on the sound I'm after I might add a Soundelux U195 outside the kick, UA2108 or MP2NV - Fatso. Works for me heh
TommyD
Old 15th October 2003
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
I actually like the d112. I put it through an api 3124, no eq or compression going in. D112 in the hole of kick aimed at beater. Works well for hard rock/metal for me. I also try to have a pro reskin and tune drums properly before tracking.

Keith
📝 Reply