Quantcast
Need to make patchbay GROUNDING decison....help!!!! - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Need to make patchbay GROUNDING decison....help!!!!
Old 31st January 2003
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Need to make patchbay GROUNDING decison....help!!!!

The choices are:
Grounds not bussed
Grounds bussed or
Vertically strapped

It's a 2x26 longframe patchbay with
(4) balanced requiring Phantom power (EO)
(8) balanced (Full-Normalled)
(40) balanced (EO)

(The patchbay is wired balanced although many of the channels will be using unbalanced gear)

I believe Grounds not bussed is the most appropriate.
Is this correct?
Old 31st January 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
considering that all you gear is grounded through the power. for mic livel signals (balanced of course) leave the (audio) ground bussed.

For line level signal on the other hand it is good practice to leave the ground on the input side and break it on the output side. for both balanced and unbalanced signals. but this is not a rule .... personally for line level signals I use trial and error. if it doesn't cause a problem I leave the ground, if it does I break it. sometimes it is breaking the ground that causes a problem.

use balanced wiring at all time ... also when coming / going to unbalanced gear. T/R/S on the balanced (patchbay for example) side becomes T+R/S on the unbalanced side. it takes a lot of soldering but the best way to do it imho.
Old 3rd February 2003
urumita

🎧 15 years
Wire your patch bays with all the connections, do your lifting at the hardware itself. I wouldn't personally connect my shield to anything that had a signal on it or the opportunity to pick up a signal from somewhere, somehow. Then connecting the (-) to the shield, even on single ended equipment, would make it possible to transmit a (-) signal from other sources through that connection, if they became connected.
To do temporary trouble shooting I've had to lift everything except the signal at times. I do this with adapters that I've carried around with me. I prefer to use my own stuff
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…