Quantcast
A Manley Budget - How to spend? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
A Manley Budget - How to spend?
Old 28th January 2003
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
A Manley Budget - How to spend?

Hey guys, as I put together my HD III system I have decieded to spend a portion of the budget on some Manley gear. I can justify about 10k on the stuff, I can dream of a lot more.

Slam, Dual mono pre's, massive passive eq, ..............so much gear so little, er money.

I would like to use it on the front end for tracking, inserts for fattening up things, and last for mixing / mastering.

Send your thought and experience my way.
Thanks for all the help,
Bruce
Old 28th January 2003
There is only one

🎧 15 years
GET CRANE SONG... it will sound better. try a spider and stc8 or dual trakkers.
Old 28th January 2003
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
The VoxBox does a lot of things nicely.
Old 28th January 2003
Gear Guru

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Drumsound
The VoxBox does a lot of things nicely.
Yeah but the one thing it was intended for...vocals!!!heh
Old 28th January 2003
Lives for gear

21 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
How 'bout a SLAM! and a Massive Passive.
That would make one ASSKICKIN' frontend!!!

Maybe you can have Eveanne make you a Gold-ed. of the SLAM! aswell :-)))
Attached Thumbnails
A Manley Budget - How to spend?-goldmassive.jpg  
Old 28th January 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Now THAT'S gangsta!!! I'll probably get one in the next couple of months... But it'll have to be a "bling bling" model...
Old 28th January 2003
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
That is one ugly image.
Something for the Sultan of Brunei's studio methinks.
Old 28th January 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by alphajerk
GET CRANE SONG... it will sound better. try a spider and stc8 or dual trakkers.
Not a regular poster, but lurk a lot. Do not want to offend but this seems a little glib to me. I understand that you are of course stating your opinion and I know you (AJ) like CS and work with it often.

I love Crane Song (the rack includes a Flamingo, Trakker and STC-8M) and they are indeed absolutely wonderful in every respect. Including the great service by CS.

But have you worked with a SLAM!?

I had talked to Manley (Hutch) about at AES NYC (Oct 2001) when the price was estimated to be $4000, Sounded like it was going to be great. Then the price jump. Old news.... You (vendor) price it, I will decide to buy it, or not...

But I remained curious and saw many people I respect quoted as loving the SLAM, and no chance to actually hear one. My understanding from EM and Fletcher's time as guest moderators that it was even hard to find one to buy due deman/mfg line start-up, etc resulting in back-orders etc. Due to this demand they were/are selling for full MSRP. And lots of people were buying them. Hmmmmm, I thought. The hype of a new piece?

But a couple of weeks ago I got a chance at a USED SLAM! (probably the first one sold by anyone) being sold by a "production company" on line for quite a bit less than MSRP.

OK, it was available (unlike a new one) I thought I would give it a chance. And if I did not like it or simply did not think it worth the money I could get my money back out of it.

After a couple of weeks, my take on the SLAM? vs CS (or anything else)?

While it can be said that one would prefer certain CS chains under certain circumstances I would NEVER say that the CS sounds "better". It seems to me to be more accurate to describe the two as "different". Why does one piece have to be BETTER than another or one musician BETTER than another? Certainly in both cases some are "better" than others. But once you reach a certain level they are just "different".

Anyway, If I had to have ONE set of pres and limiters the SLAM would be it. At least today. My .0000000002. Worth just about that to the experienced engineers here.

By the way.....anybody else notice in the SLAM owners manual (available at the Manley site) the reference to VIPRE designer involvement? Hmmmm.
Old 28th January 2003
Jax
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by e-cue
Now THAT'S gangsta!!! I'll probably get one in the next couple of months... But it'll have to be a "bling bling" model...
LOL

Doesn't P Diddy have dat shiznit alreddy?
Old 28th January 2003
Gear Guru

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Re: A Manley Budget - How to spend?

Quote:
Originally posted by renshen
Hey guys, as I put together my HD III system I have decieded to spend a portion of the budget on some Manley gear. I can justify about 10k on the stuff, I can dream of a lot more.

Slam, Dual mono pre's, massive passive eq, ..............so much gear so little, er money.

I would like to use it on the front end for tracking, inserts for fattening up things, and last for mixing / mastering.

Send your thought and experience my way.
Thanks for all the help,
Bruce
Question...

Why only Manley?

With 10K you can get a whole bunch of nice things.

In the post it doesn't talk about the acoustics of your room,monitoring,ventihilation or wiring...

are these taken care of too?

If so, than you are way ahead of a lot of other people i know(including me right now). heh
Old 28th January 2003
Jax
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Mike O

It seems to me to be more accurate to describe the two as "different". Why does one piece have to be BETTER than another or one musician BETTER than another? Certainly in both cases some are "better" than others. But once you reach a certain level they are just "different".

By the way.....anybody else notice in the SLAM owners manual (available at the Manley site) the reference to VIPRE designer involvement? Hmmmm.
So? The VIPRE rocks too. Hmmm what?

Your analogy to musicians and gear makes a good point, but I'll take it a step further. Often, musicians are tagged as better than other musicians when actually it depends on what they're playing. Most musicians are not proficient in every style nor appropriate to play every kind of music. The same can be said about the differences between gear.
Old 28th January 2003
Jax
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Re: Re: A Manley Budget - How to spend?

Quote:
Originally posted by thethrillfactor

In the post it doesn't talk about the acoustics of your room,monitoring,ventihilation or wiring...

are these taken care of too?

If so, than you are way ahead of a lot of other people i know(including me right now). heh
Yeah, with 10 strong I'd have to spend at least half of it getting my rooms in better acoustic shape, and getting something to cool the f-ing place down in the summertime.
Old 28th January 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Jax
So? The VIPRE rocks too. Hmmm what?
Hey JAX, by all accounts the VIPRE DOES rock. Hmmmm what? I think it is just interesting that two products that many folks think are stellar have SOME sort of common heritage. I take NO other meaning than that it is "interesting". What does it mean? I have not clue.

Quote:
[i]Your analogy to musicians and gear makes a good point, but I'll take it a step further. Often, musicians are tagged as better than other musicians when actually it depends on what they're playing. Most musicians are not proficient in every style nor appropriate to play every kind of music. The same can be said about the differences between gear. [/B]
My point exactly. Context is everything. CS, Manley, GML etc. Athough items may be "interchangable" for one context, seldom if ever will they be interchangable in all contexts/applications each might be used for. So we agree? Don't give a **** enough to argue.

Could not agree more w/Thrillfactor's advice re: the priority of room, acoustics, wiring, etc. Also like the question, "Why Manley?" A VERY good question indeed.

It does seem odd to focus on a specific mfg for purchasing as opposed to focusing on WHAT product is needed to solve a particular need or problem (pre, comp, limiter, etc). Marketing success? Don't know, but the Massive and the SLAM are winners. The man said he wanted to spend money on Manley....

Does the room need attention? "renshen" does not say. But he might need SOME sort of front end for the PT HD.
Old 28th January 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:

By the way.....anybody else notice in the SLAM owners manual (available at the Manley site) the reference to VIPRE designer involvement? Hmmmm. [/B]
I just got off the phone with Manely (looking into the SLAM as well) and the guy mentioned that the designer of the VIPRE is indeed an employee of Manley. No names mentioned....fwiw
Old 28th January 2003
Jax
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
My point exactly. Context is everything. CS, Manley, GML etc. Athough items may be "interchangable" for one context, seldom if ever will they be interchangable in all contexts/applications each might be used for. So we agree? Don't give a **** enough to argue.
I don't care if we agree, argue or whatever. Your "hmmmm" was read by me as if they Vipre is suspect. To clairfy, I was looking for what you meant with your comparisons of the SLAM and Vipre in the context you've just explained. Thanks.
Old 28th January 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
From the SLAM manual (available from the Manley web site):

"As a mic pre it offers about 80 dB of gain and a new circuit, unlike any previous Manley PreAmp. The gain stages are based on a circuit developed by Mitch Margolis for the (Manley) SteelHead phono pre-amp. Mitch also designed the VIPRE."
Old 29th January 2003
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Yeah but the one thing it was intended for...vocals!!!heh
I love the VoxBox for vocals. Also bass and drum overhead (if mono, I only have one0.
Old 30th January 2003

🎧 15 years
Hi guys, Sorry I have been away since my mod gig in December, then came holidays, then came CES, then came NAMM, then came that damn flu last week which ended with a giant bout with conjunctivitis on Saturday, and then waiting five hours in ER on Sunday to TRY to get to see a doc to TRY to get a prescription for some serious antibiotics. I gave up, went home to finish watching the Super Bowl, missed halftime show... saw my GP Monday morning and got my drugs and am fine now trying to catch up with everything now that my eyes aren't glued shut with green glop....

To clarify: Mitch designed the wonderful Vipre for GT. He also works for us doing HIFI designs. The Manley SHRIMP, SNAPPER, the Neo-Classic SE/PP 300B amplifiers and the awesome STEELHEAD phono stage are Mitch's clever and unique designs he has done for us over here at Manley Labs.

Hutch borrowed some of the first stage trickery Mitch used in the Steelhead design to use for the first stage of the SLAM!
Old 31st January 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
With a budget like that you can't really go wrong.
Well.....you could! Anything is possible, but you'd have to be extremely unlucky or stoopid or worse still,BOTH!!!
Once you reach a certain price point, you can expect a certain quality. After that it's simply a matter taste and WHAT WORKS FOR YOU!!

What I can vouch for is the amazing service you get from Manley. Cranesong are also in the same league.
It's so kewl when you can ring the company and not only talk to the big cheese, but to even have them answer the intial incoming call.

Take your time and evaluate carefully. But with Manley, no matter what you buy, you won't regret it and you can't go wrong!! Same with Cranesong.

I guess it's no secret I am very loyal when it comes to these fine companies, but hey.....they've both earnt it!!

Cheers,

Tony Mantz.
Glorified tape copy boy.
Old 3rd March 2003
kin
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
Manley Neoclassic 300B preamp

Quote:
Originally posted by EveAnna Manley
Hi guys, Sorry I have been away since my mod gig in December, then came holidays, then came CES, then came NAMM, then came that damn flu last week which ended with a giant bout with conjunctivitis on Saturday, and then waiting five hours in ER on Sunday to TRY to get to see a doc to TRY to get a prescription for some serious antibiotics. I gave up, went home to finish watching the Super Bowl, missed halftime show... saw my GP Monday morning and got my drugs and am fine now trying to catch up with everything now that my eyes aren't glued shut with green glop....

To clarify: Mitch designed the wonderful Vipre for GT. He also works for us doing HIFI designs. The Manley SHRIMP, SNAPPER, the Neo-Classic SE/PP 300B amplifiers and the awesome STEELHEAD phono stage are Mitch's clever and unique designs he has done for us over here at Manley Labs.

Hutch borrowed some of the first stage trickery Mitch used in the Steelhead design to use for the first stage of the SLAM!

Hi EveAnna,

and what about your Neoclassic 300B preamp?

Thanks!
Old 4th March 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Hey, why don´t you develop some mid price stuff for junior mastering guys like m, that also do nice stuff, but do not have $$$$$$to own a rack full of Millenia´s, Cranes´and Manley´s?
Should I go Langenvin/api instead?
Thanks
Old 4th March 2003
Gear Guru

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Alécio Costa

Should I go Langenvin/api instead?
Thanks
API?

Wow if i went to a mastering session and the guy strapped a pair of API's on my mix, as soon as he turned his back I would dash out the door.

heh

Just kidding Alecio.

Look for a used Sontec MEP EQ(non mastering). It will be close to impossible to fix if there is a problem, but if not I think it will work wonders for you.

They are not that expensive either. Here in the states they are between $1K-$2K.
Old 4th March 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
thanks! I was just thinking of leaving the plug-in syndrome a while. Waves Master Bundle, TC Master X, MC2000, C4, PSP seems to be the only and the best for junior mastering...

How much is the entry stuff ( 2 channel maybe) for Langevin, Manley and Crane?

Thanks
p.s: I would like to see that nice woman from Manley commenting on this..
Old 6th March 2003

🎧 15 years
Howdy folks,

Alecio,
You can get local pricing from your Brazilian importer... email me personally for sales stuff.

Kin,
The Neo-Classic 300B Preamp is a new rework of a pre-Mitch design. Not much Mitch in that one. It could be the antithesis of Mitch, actually, with its almost overly tubey sound. But some hifi folks want that type sound too so we build it...

Cheers guys. Sorry I have been too busy to post as of late. I was in Moscow last weekend for a hifi show, for example...
Old 6th March 2003
There is only one

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Wow if i went to a mastering session and the guy strapped a pair of API's on my mix, as soon as he turned his back I would dash out the door.
lol, thats what i would do if manley was strapped to my mixes... except id bash the ME and gear with a lead pipe first.
Old 6th March 2003

🎧 15 years
I'll tell Bob Ludwig you said hello....
Old 7th March 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Thanks Eve!!!!! I will look for you via email my dear!
Old 7th March 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Hey EveAnna, can you goldplate GML stuff? GML style is the antithesis of gaudy, and it might be cool to get my 8200 done up in gold and silver.

WTF is up with those play skool knobs anyways? The 9xxx EQ looks much more stylin.
Old 7th March 2003

🎧 15 years
How did you know I *just* updated the MANLEY FAQ page about an hour ago?

FAQ #124Ki. That all sounds reasonably explained and I am sorry you have gone through so much grief on this gold issue, but I really prefer the gold and stainless steel cosmetics. Can I order my new amplifier with the gold look?

Yes you can, at the same price, if we still have parts, and that will vary model to model. Once we have run out of gold plated panels, which we already have for everything except the Neo SE/PP 300B amplifiers and the Stingray, if you insist on having gold faceplates, we can either anodize in a good looking gold color for the same price or charge you a lot more to have to strip, repolish, re-linegrain, then re-plate a set of 24K gold plated panels for you and hope that we do not have to do ten pieces to get you a nice looking pair. Furthermore, to do these 24K gold plated faceplates custom for you, we will also require a bank transfer of $53,000,000.00 (FIFTY-THREE MILLION DOLLARS OF UNITED STATES CURRENCY) sent to the ex-deceased-prime minister's late wife's bank account in Nigeria. (She's been writing me all these letters lately...) As long as we have stainless steel chassis, you can also order your Stingray in high-polish stainless for no additional charge. Again, once we run out of high polished stainless steel chassis, we will not make them again and will default to a black wrinkle powder coat over aluminum. And guess what? We are now out of those high polish stainless steel chassis so it looks like your luck has run out. Black looks nice with the gold faceplate, if you like gold...

FAQ #124Kii. Well, now that I have thought about it, what I really want is a Teal colored hammertone finish to pick up an accent color found in my living room draperies. Can you do this for me?

Sure, that will fall into the custom category and anything custom will need to be custom quoted.

MANLEY FAQ page
Old 7th March 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
(from the faq)

Manley Amplifried Conanbobulators

hehehhe
📝 Reply