Quantcast
Hedd to Hammerfall help! - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Hedd to Hammerfall help!
Old 27th January 2003
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Hedd to Hammerfall help!

I have the HEdd, RME ADI 8 pro, RME hammerfall card, nuendo. AND, I bought the M audio digital conversioin AES, SPDIF, TOSLINK box thinking it would make them all talk but it isn't/doesn't. I need to run these all together. How? Also, I have the Tascam dm 24 that I use the convertors in when tracking drums. under snare mic, etc. Help me help me help me. I have been running this set up with geat success before the Hed unit and I figured I would upgrade and the Hedd just won't play nice with the other stuff. no Adat you see. And Nuendo won't accept ADat and Spdif at the same time. so,,,,,,,, How????? Thanks,

Mitch
Old 27th January 2003
Jax
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Have you tried connecting the HEDD to the RME ADI 8 via AES/EBU? I don't know the RME ADI box, but I'll guess it has AES/EBU connections.
Old 27th January 2003
Gear Guru

7 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Mitch,

Do you have the M Audio S.A.M. or the M Audio CO2...I believe the CO2 & CO3 use spdif toslink, which is a different protocol than the ADAT method (like on the S.A.M.). If you have the S.A.M. and it's not working, then it's a defective unit.
Old 27th January 2003
Craneslut

🎧 15 years
Hey Mitch - if you'll kinda outline the signal flow, we can help you troubleshoot better...
Old 27th January 2003
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Sorry I assumed you guy's would just know what I'm trying to do but that was a silly assumtion. OK, The Hammerfall card is spdif and adat lightpipe only. The RME ADI 8 pro 8 channell convertor box has lightpipe and 1/4 analog only. The Hedd has AES, Spdif and XLR analog. I want to runn the HEdd as the main convertors. As in listening and tracking. When I do larger sessions I will need to run about 12 convertors at once which means I have to somhow get the HEDD box to work via lightpipe along side the RME ADI 8 pro's convertors. I bought the M audio CO3 box thinking (like an idiot) that Toslink was lightpipe. Duh,,,,, So,, it's not working of course and I cannot get this Hedd unit to even work spdif into the RME hammerfall card. And I know that the card works as I ran my Dat machine spdif into it just fine. So I have 2 issues,,,, 1) getting the Hedd to work spdif out into the hammerfall card and 2) getting the Hedd unit to work into the Lightpipe on the hammerfall card so I can use all my convertors at once. :>) Hope this is clearer? :>) Dave at Cransong didn't seem to have much help. Hope you can? thanks fellas,

Mitch
Old 27th January 2003
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Sorry, the M audio CO 3 is an AES, Toslink, Spdif converotr box. Lets you plug any of them in and out to any of them. I seemingly have no use for it here though?
Old 27th January 2003
Gear Guru

7 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Sorry to say it, but you have to replace the CO3 with the SAM.

Also, I'm assuming you have the 96/52 since you have spdif, am I correct?
Old 27th January 2003
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
9652 I believe is what I have yes. What is SAM? I wish Dave from Cransong would have told me that. Maybe I can return this CO3 box? I'll try. I got it new on ebay. What is SAM? Where is Sam/ How much is SAm? What is SAM? Did I say tha already? LOL.
Old 27th January 2003
Craneslut

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Ianneve
Sorry, the M audio CO 3 is an AES, Toslink, Spdif converotr box. Lets you plug any of them in and out to any of them. I seemingly have no use for it here though?
Have you tried running the CO3 as a SPDIF -> AES converter (SPDIF out of RME, AES into HEDD and vicec versa)?

Silly question, but you are flipping the switch to SPDIF on the front panel of HEDD, aren't you?
Old 27th January 2003
Old 27th January 2003
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Sorry, the HEDD works fine going into it Spdif from the Hammerfall card. Sounds great. BUt,,, can't out of it into the hammerfall card. It simply will not work. I have it switched to Spdif yes. I even went out of the Hedd spdif into my dat player to see if the spdif out of hedd was working and NOTHING. No sgnal so I tried AES the same thing. Nothing. When I tried the AES convertion from the CO3 I got signal but it was noise not music. A solid wave form of creatching. NOt very pleasent. :>) Ah,,, what is SAM? :>)
Old 27th January 2003
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
OH!!!! THAT is SAM!!!! #%##.. I Almost got one of those on Ebay but I didn't think I needed it and it was CHEAP!!!!!! OK thans, so Sam is gonna make everything alright? Providing this Hedd box isn't broken?
Old 27th January 2003
Jax
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
There is a setting on the Hammerfall card for SPDIF Input. If you haven't already, set it to Coaxial. Also, like BB says, flip the HEDD to SPDIF. Since you already have optical i/o on both the Hammefall and ADI 8, and you should be able to connect the HEDD to the Hammefall via SPDIF (if the settings are right), I don't see where the CO3 fits into this, but it might just be me.
Old 27th January 2003
Jax
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Hmm, you posted the above as I was replying. So did you try setting the 9652 for SPDIF Input (Coaxial)?
Old 27th January 2003
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
I had it on Coaxial. That is where I started. Then I tried them all. In every imaginable combo. Nothing. Frustrating. Maybe I'll send it back and buy a car. Could get a late 80's BMW 5 series for what the Hedd costs. Can't get that to sound like 2 inch tape though, but I would look cool.
Old 27th January 2003
Gear Guru

7 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
He wants to run everything simultaneously. If he can switch the hammerfall to run simultaneouly spdif and lightpipe, then he is fine. If one over rides the other and they can't be used simultaneously, then he has to have a box (the SAM) to convert spdif into ADAT lightpipe in order to get into the hammerfall for multitracking. And it sounds like from the conclusion of Jax's suggestion that the hammerfall will not run them both at the same time otherwise it would work from the HEDD if he plugged it into the hammerfall card. If this is the case, and it has to be either all lightpipe or all spdif, then the CO3 will not work because it is TOSLINK lightpipe, not ADAT lightpipe, they aren't compatible. I don't ever use spdif (only ADAT lightpipe and AES), so I haven't tried this before, but I'm predicting it's not the HEDD. Also, check your drivers for the Hammerfall and make sure they are current. If the two formats can't be run concurrently, that may have been fixed in a later update.
Old 27th January 2003
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Nathen I believe you Got it my man. I think I have the latest drivers in and no you cannot run spdif and lightpipe together on this card. BUt what a pain in the butt to buy a box this expensive and then you have to buy another $300 little piece oh poop to make it work. Doesn't seem right to me.
Old 28th January 2003
Jax
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
That sucks about the Hammerfall. I haven't tried running SPDIF into mine because it's always been connected optically with no need for a SPDIF connection, but I didn't know it was either/or. I guess it's only there to be compatable with DAT machines or similar that have SPDIF only connecitvity.

Y'know, it's gonna be worth it to spring for the SAM so you can connect the HEDD to your rig.
Old 28th January 2003
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
But I already bought the CO3 and it's only to try it out. I don't actually "own" the Hedd. This is rediculous. Cranesong makes you change your whole set up just so you can use their box? Who do they think they are Digidesign? :>)
Old 28th January 2003
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
You would thik for $3500 for stereo convertors it would have every possible combination of connections on it. I asked him to custom make one for me and he said no. LOL.
Old 28th January 2003
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Maybe if I bitch enough he will? He said he had no demand for it. I'm like,,, huh? I'm the only guy who wants a Hedd who needs to run it along side of Lightpipe convertors? Maybe I'm either crazy then or a trail blazer? Not sure which? Maybe niether? I just want my DAW to sound like Analog.grggt Is there another solution besides Hedd? Short of a Neve and a Studer that is.
Old 28th January 2003
Jax
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I don't know, man. It all depends on how you plan out the connectivity or your studio (and often, what you can afford). Not all studios are rigged for optical i/o and SPDIF as their main multi-channel formats. AES/EBU has to be the predominant way to get digital i/o happening. I bet Dave Hill had that in mind when he built the HEDD. Not to crap on the home studio market, but optical is sort of a holdout that remains from the days when ADAT machines were still in use. I predict we won't see anything made with ADAT optical 10 years from now.
Old 28th January 2003
Jax
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Ianneve
I just want my DAW to sound like Analog.grggt Is there another solution besides Hedd?
I wouldn't look too far, nothing really does what it does as well as it does it. Also, I don't think this minor setback is a good enough reason to dump the HEDD. Pop for the SAM!
Old 28th January 2003
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
OK, that's fine. But how else do you get 24 tracks into your computer at once? Does AES do that? I'm all for making it better. I thought it was very strange jumping into the whole hammerfall thing with all the ADAT ports on there. Weird for me as I come from analog but It's actaully cool cause it's so nothing. I love the no cable thing. It's clean and simple. The thing is I haven't really been able to compare to the RME's cause I cannot hook it up properly. Although I can tell it's better.
Old 28th January 2003
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
This is not true!
I basically run the same setup.
Rosetta via Spdif into Hammerfall-
Wordclock cable from Rosetta to Hammerfall-
Rme Adi8 via Adat into Hammerfall-
Wordclock cable from Rosetta to Adi8-
Nuendo DOES accept Spdif AND Adat at the same time, but look at the Hammerfall settings dialog. Not only have to be all inputs in sync, the status has to also show LOCK. THEN you can record in Nuendo.
Jakob
Old 28th January 2003
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
So a word clock cable into the Hedd will make it all work? Dave told me I didn't need one. I have the ADI 8 as the master right now.
Old 28th January 2003
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
I cannot get it to say lock. It says sync but not lock. I have switched it every witch way. It has got to be the way it's hooked up. ADI 8 pro is word master. I haev the word going out of that into the Tascam DM 24 and out of that into the hammerfall card and out of that into the Hedd. Still nothing.
Old 28th January 2003
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
With as many digital devices involved I would get a clock distribution amp.Without any question the best clock you have is the HEDD.I would make it the master to the amp and then any other device that is digital gets a bnc cable.Make sure that the HEDD is turned on before anything else to allow everything to sync.

At this point if you have proper conections for said devices spdif,lightpipe etc... and your internal settings are correct it should work like a champ.

I have used several HEDD's in one digital chain along with many other digital pieces without a hitch.Dave Hill will tell you this digital **** can have it's issues untill it is all playing nice together.

Peace
Old 28th January 2003
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
I honestly think the Hedd has issues. The spdif out of it doesn't seem to be working as my dat player records into Nuendo just fine via spdif. No signal out of the Hedd spdif into Nuendo.
Old 28th January 2003
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
There could be another simple thing!
My Hammerfall had Spdif locking problems at first too, I remember. I changed cables. The spdif connection is bitchy somtimes with the cable. Just get a different phono cable.
Your setup should be
-Hedd via spdif to Hammerfall-
-Wordclock cable from Hedd to Hammerfall, Adi AND Tascam desk ( use a Splitter or distributor)-
-Hammerfall set to: Spdif in: coaxial, word clock, preferred sync reference: spdif-
-Adi connected to ADAT 1
-Adi set to clock: ext-
-Tascam connected to ADAT 2
-Tascam set to Word clock input
All Status displays of the Hammerfall must say:
SYNC (not Lock as i stated before)
Now it works IF your SPDIF cable isnt faulty.
You can not check this cable with a DAT connected! Try different (even cheap) cables
Jakob
πŸ“ Reply