The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Studer A827 Creamy Heat??
Old 24th January 2003
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Studer A827 Creamy Heat??

Hi Guys,
I've been racking my brain over this one, maybe someone can help. I have a project recorded on a Fostex D160 (16 bit,48khz) that I am planning on mixing in a pro studio. My question is, what are the benefits(if any) to transferring the tracks to a Studer A820/827 2 inch for mixing. Would there be a warmth /saturation...sweet cream type top end added to the digital tracks??? The tracks sound very good in there present state actually. My other option is to just mix through the desk(Neve 8068) straight to 1/2 inch(A80). The music is hard rock, stereo crunch guitars,Di bass,stereo drums,organs, keys,vocals, 16 tracks in all.

Thanks for taking the time to read my post (my first!!)

Farm sounds
Old 25th January 2003
jon
Capitol Studios Paris

🎧 15 years
Yes and yes. I would transfer to 2" and mix from it. The critical thing here is proper alignment of the 2" machine, then tweaking it for the sound you need, plus tape choice and levels to tape. If you're not real real familiar with it, get a someone who is to do the transfer.
Old 25th January 2003
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Thanks Jon.

Yes, I am going to go the 2 inch route for mixing. Some analog "heat" will do quit nicely for these mixes. I will be working with an engineer who knows the studers.

Jon, what would be the optimal way to get these tracks onto tape??? I guess the only way I see it, is through the Neve inputs, straight to the tape machine?? Or just plug straight into the Tape machine??? I'm thinking w/ the board, I could "pump up the signal" and hit the tape harder. Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks again!!

Farm Sounds
Old 26th January 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
don't go through the Neve to tape. unless some major gain restructure is needed.
throw a straight up patch to the Studer.
Old 26th January 2003
VIP

🎧 15 years
I would mix directly from the Fostex through the Neve to 1/2" tape. Between the Neve and the A80 it will probably be enough "warmth", adding the 2" could be too much.

Is there a way that you could try it different ways on one song and let us know?
Old 26th January 2003
One with big hooves

🎧 15 years
While I love 2" and 1/2" I'll side with Michael on this one. I'd mix off the Fostex through the Neve to 1/2". Rather then spending the money on 2" tape and the time to transfer it I'd rent in really sweet D/A's for the Fostex.

If you decide to transfer the multitrack stuff to 2" I'd plug right into the deck and avoid the console. Some tracks will need to be bounced up and down in level to be optimal and maybe you could just send those through the console or some outboard gear. Whenever I do a transfer like that I like to take advantage and EQ and/or compress anything that might need it but only if I really know it needs it. The last time I transferred a digital project to 2" was because there were still a ton of overdubs to be done.
Old 26th January 2003
Han
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I'm with Michael and Jay, although I would like to listen to your sound before making any suggestion.

Sometimes a transfer to 2" can cause a miracle, sometimes it's just too much.

I think mixing to 1/2" will do the job for you, it's like the sound is going trough a bucket of greasegrggt
Old 26th January 2003
jon
Capitol Studios Paris

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Farm sounds
Jon, what would be the optimal way to get these tracks onto tape??? I guess the only way I see it, is through the Neve inputs, straight to the tape machine?? Or just plug straight into the Tape machine??? I'm thinking w/ the board, I could "pump up the signal" and hit the tape harder. Any advice is appreciated.
While in principle it would be best to go directly from the Fostex (via better converters and clock if possible) to the Studer, it depends a bit on what kind of levels are coming out of the Fostex. For example, if the Fostex levels have been (God forbid) normalized or are all peaking at 0dbFS, some adjusting may be needed.

I just re-read your post and it hit me that your drums are pre-mixed down to 2 tracks...is that correct? Much of the advantage that 2" would give to your drums would come from hitting the tape at robust levels for the toms and snare, maybe a bit lighter for the kick, and rather lightly for the overheads/cymbal/hat tracks (all this depends on the sounds you have, genre and musical context). If the drums have been pre-mixed down to stereo, you won't get any more benefit from 2" than from 1/2" as far as the drums are concerned.
Old 26th January 2003
member no 666

🎧 15 years
As Jay Kahrs noted... some serious D/A converters will come in damn handy for whatever you do... I'd probably go straight into the 8068 through good converters... through less than genius converters, I'd probably go onto the 827 to smear things up just a little more so you didn't notice the converters as much as you would without the tape in the path.

Best of luck with the project.
Old 26th January 2003
Gear Guru

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Also one thing to consider, the 820 and the 827 are different sounding machines(I am sure your engineer knows this and probably has his own preference).

The sound dictates which way to go.

Good luck!!!
Old 27th January 2003
One with big hooves

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by jon
I just re-read your post and it hit me that your drums are pre-mixed down to 2 tracks...is that correct?
Oh, in that case I'd drop the idea of transferring the multi-track over to 2". While tape can do wonderful things for drums it's best to have at least kick and snare on seperate tracks. Funny enough, when I track to tape the biggest difference seems to come from the toms.
Old 27th January 2003
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Thanks for all the input guys.

Upon further thought, yeah I guess I'll bypass the 2 inch tape, and just mix through the desk to 1/2 inch.

Between the desk,the variable mu across the mix bus, and the A80, there should be plenty of heat.

Thanks again.

Farm Sounds
Old 29th January 2003
urumita

🎧 15 years
If it already sounds good, don't try to fix it.
Classic superstition.
📝 Reply