Quantcast
AMEK Pure Path "Driver in a Box" ??? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
AMEK Pure Path "Driver in a Box" ???
Old 23rd January 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
AMEK Pure Path "Driver in a Box" ???

Anybody got one? Have you used it as a line level mixer? How about as a way to get balanced inserts in and out of your unbalanced mixer inserts? What else have you used it for? How does it sound? What's up with the "Silk" switch?

thanks

steve
[email protected]
Old 9th July 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I kinda fail to see the purpose in this unit. Most people don't usually look at line inputs the same way as mic pre's. Maybe a "make yourself amek console" if you own a bunch of CIB's. Or perhaps as a Dangerous Bus?
Homey on ebay is selling them very cheap: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=23792 Good deal, if the box was worth a squirt of wizz to me.
Old 9th July 2003
Founder

Rob Darling (A Gearslut comrade) has buit a large summing box out of several of these 8 ch units for DAW summing. Says it sounds great. V spendy though...
Old 9th July 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I recently sold mine and it was a nice utility piece. It was initially purchased for use as a summing box for Protools and subsequently used as a DI for synths. It has a nice color to it not quite Neve, but a nice color. When used as a DI for synths, I A/B'ed it against an API3124.

The DIB had really nice sounding upper-mids, but the low-mids didn't sound as nice as the API. Both units were equally fat sounding minus the areas I mentioned. Overall, it a great sounding unit that has many uses, unfortunately it’s a piece that Amek has not marketed very well.

As far as, using it as a summing buss, it worked great for Protools. It opens up the mix rather nicely and adds a nice punch to the overall sound of Protools. If I didn't owe a Trident 80, I would jump on that deal in a heartbeat. The only problem again is that Amek has done a lousy job of marketing the DIB, so trying to sell it will undoubtedly be a difficult task as you can see from the prices on ebay.

Old 10th July 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
A question for Ozzie, or any other DIB owners; how complicated was it to configure the DIB as a summing box? When I read through the online manual, I got thoroughly confused about what was required. Comments?

steve
[email protected]
Old 10th July 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Hey Steve,

It's pretty straight forward:

Nothing special:

16 -Roederstein 5k1 resistors
8 -Neutrik Female XLR Gold plated connectors
2 -Neutrik Male Gold plated connectors
5' -Pure silver wiring(99.99)
5' -Teflon coating
1 -10k Audio Carbon Stereo fader
1 -Stereo fader faceplate
1 -Custom design circuit board
1 -housing
1 -can of silver spray paint

And there you have it!!

http://www.sandstorment.com/images/dib.jpg

Old 4th February 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Is anyone still using this? I grabbed one for $700. I figure I may start using my folcrom with this feeding a few channels w 8 transformers, or I'll just place it on Daw inserts. Maybe I'll track synths and drum machines with it.

I'm not sure how I'll use it, but I figure worst case scenario I could sell it and not take a loss.
Old 6th February 2021 | Show parent
member no 666

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by IM WHO YOU THINK ➡️
I'm not sure how I'll use it, but I figure worst case scenario I could sell it and not take a loss.
Everything you suggested previous to the line quoted it totally valid... take some weeks [6 minimum... I'd suggest 12-40] and give it a fair shake.

Its a tool, a tool that can work for your sense of aesthetic, or a tool that can work against your sense of aesthetic -- and ONLY YOU can figure out that tool's place in YOUR work!!!

One of the things that has brought me dismay in the past few years is engineering folks are looking for "standards". Yeah, I'm old as fµck, but back in my time [when we made the records you reference and are "classics" to you] we found our OWN style, our own sound and the tools that took us to the "promised land".

The only thing I ever found to be a negative about the CIB is that it was set up to be very "clean"... I like to drive things past their limits [unless "clean" is what is required for what I'm doing at the moment]... and driving the "CIB" is often a glorious event [sometimes it's schitt -- only your sense of aesthetic can figure the difference!!].

Give it a go... work with the tool... find how it helps you achieve, or helps you FORM your personal "sound" as an engineer / artist -- for the most part, nobody on this forum has ever heard your work, which means that NOBODY on this forum is qualified to render an opinion on the gear you employ to create the product that leaves your room.

Best of luck with all you do!! -- wear a mask -- stay safe!!

Peace
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
i don't have a dib but a dmcl and a few cib's - imo the latter is a brilliant piece of gear (which i prefer over the newer neve shelford)!

Last edited by deedeeyeah; 6th February 2021 at 12:41 PM.. Reason: wording
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletcher ➡️
Everything you suggested previous to the line quoted it totally valid... take some weeks [6 minimum... I'd suggest 12-40] and give it a fair shake.

Its a tool, a tool that can work for your sense of aesthetic, or a tool that can work against your sense of aesthetic -- and ONLY YOU can figure out that tool's place in YOUR work!!!

One of the things that has brought me dismay in the past few years is engineering folks are looking for "standards". Yeah, I'm old as fµck, but back in my time [when we made the records you reference and are "classics" to you] we found our OWN style, our own sound and the tools that took us to the "promised land".

The only thing I ever found to be a negative about the CIB is that it was set up to be very "clean"... I like to drive things past their limits [unless "clean" is what is required for what I'm doing at the moment]... and driving the "CIB" is often a glorious event [sometimes it's schitt -- only your sense of aesthetic can figure the difference!!].

Give it a go... work with the tool... find how it helps you achieve, or helps you FORM your personal "sound" as an engineer / artist -- for the most part, nobody on this forum has ever heard your work, which means that NOBODY on this forum is qualified to render an opinion on the gear you employ to create the product that leaves your room.

Best of luck with all you do!! -- wear a mask -- stay safe!!

Peace
Cool. Thanks Fletcher.

One other use in my head that I plan to try is parallel tracking if I have to spice up VST or midi instruments. In addition to the "DIB, " I have a pair of "CIB"s too. (I wish I had 4 more).

I'm figuring if I run the 8 DIB channels into the folcrom with the CIBs doing the makeup gain, I'll have an 8 channel Amek mixer for parallel processing.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by deedeeyeah ➡️
i don't have a dib but a dmcl and a few cib's - imo the latter is a brilliant piece of gear (which i prefer over the newer neve shelford)!
I've been wanting to try the Shelford channel. I was hoping it would be a step up. I wish I had a few more CIBs. I have two, but 4-8 would be ideal.

The more I read about the DIB, the more I want a second one already. I don't have any other mixer at my spot other than a Mackie line mixer for keyboards. I use the Mackie for production and avoid it when tracking.

I can use the DIB for routing flexibility like multing an input signal to multiple outs for processing.
It will be pretty cool to distribute a kick to a few outs and simultaneously distribute other signals to multiple outs , without using a low quality mixer to do so.
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
I've been wanting to try the Shelford channel. I was hoping it would be a step up. I wish I had a few more CIBs. I have two, but 4-8 would be ideal.

The more I read about the DIB, the more I want a second one already. I don't have any other mixer at my spot other than a Mackie line mixer for keyboards. I use the Mackie for production and avoid it when tracking.

I can use the DIB for routing flexibility like multing an input signal to multiple outs for processing.
It will be pretty cool to distribute a kick to a few outs and simultaneously distribute other signals to multiple outs , without using a low quality mixer to do so.
i have two cib's too but a friend across town has another pair... :-)

i use them just on the way in - i'm mixing on a digital desk (and i have analog splitters) so i don't have any need for a dib.

Last edited by deedeeyeah; 6th February 2021 at 05:48 PM..
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by deedeeyeah ➡️
i have two cib's too but a friend across town has another pair... :-)

i use them just on the way in - i'm mixing on a digital desk (and i have analog splitters) so i don't have any need for a dib.
For the prices vintage Neves are going for, I'd rather have a few more CIBs and color ITB.
Old 8th February 2021 | Show parent
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
For the prices vintage Neves are going for, I'd rather have a few more CIBs and color ITB.
imo the amek/neve cib's imo are simply the best neve's to date! nevertheless, i do not intend buying any more as i like having some variety in terms of channel strips...
Old 21st February 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by obostic ➡️
Hey Steve,

It's pretty straight forward:

Nothing special:

16 -Roederstein 5k1 resistors
8 -Neutrik Female XLR Gold plated connectors
2 -Neutrik Male Gold plated connectors
5' -Pure silver wiring(99.99)
5' -Teflon coating
1 -10k Audio Carbon Stereo fader
1 -Stereo fader faceplate
1 -Custom design circuit board
1 -housing
1 -can of silver spray paint

And there you have it!!

http://www.sandstorment.com/images/dib.jpg

Would building a box of resistors and summing with the DIB sound different than placing the DIB between 8 channels from the DAW, and the Folcrom inputs, then using two CIB's for makeup gain?

I'm thinking aside from the makeup gain, the Folcrom is a box of resistors. So, with amek pure path units for gain makeup, it should be at least close to the same, and save the time of wiring a bunch of resistors.
📝 Reply