Quantcast
Neve 1081R or Neve Prism - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Neve 1081R or Neve Prism
Old 22nd January 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Neve 1081R or Neve Prism

Here's what I'm looking for.... I need several channels of just the DI portion of the Neve 1081 module, not the Mic Pre. Since I only need the DI portion, is there a DI only version of the 1081 available?

If not, what DI units out there would be comparable in sound quality tot he 1081?

Thanks
Old 24th January 2003
member no 666

🎧 15 years
The 1081 never had a dedicated "DI" function... though you could build yourself a direct box using a St. Ives 10468 input transformer, a BA 440 op amp with a Marinair 2567 output transformer... which are the basic elements of what makes a 1081 sound like a 1081.

I think the more important question would be 'what are you trying to achieve'?
Old 24th January 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I happened to hear a song where all of the synths/samplers were tracked throug an 88R console and was really impressed with the results. I'm assuming tracking was done via the line inputs? Since I only need the DI's and not the preamps, I was trying to find a cost efficient way to recreate the line level sound 88R using some kind of comparable DI box. Does that make sense.
Old 24th January 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
For me, that is a pretty big assumption.. I would think it was DI - PRE.. ( introducking, the groove tubes DIPRE! )

Do you know who did the record? can you ask them?
Old 24th January 2003
Gear Guru

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by digiman
I happened to hear a song where all of the synths/samplers were tracked throug an 88R console and was really impressed with the results. I'm assuming tracking was done via the line inputs? Since I only need the DI's and not the preamps, I was trying to find a cost efficient way to recreate the line level sound 88R using some kind of comparable DI box. Does that make sense.
The 88R mic pre's(with DI's) are now available as a standalone unit.(www.ams-neve.com)

The Neve 1081R mic pre-amp is arguably the best first
stage in any recording process and these vintage and modern classic units are in great demand. When used with the 88R console, this classic circuitry and sound can be remotely positioned and controlled as a part of the console. Now for the first time, this sound is available in stand-alone form – as the 1081R module. The 1081R remote mic pre amps add a little Neve magic to any console and raise
hard disk recording to new levels of quality.

Now I will tell its not cheap. But if you really are after the sound then GO FOR IT!!!
πŸ“ Reply