The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Summit TPA-200A vs TPA-200B
Old 13th July 2008
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Summit TPA-200A vs TPA-200B

I was told that the older Summit TPA-200A preamp (designed by Dave Hill before he left Summit) is better than the current TPA-200B. I know it's been discussed but I was hoping get some feedback from someone who has owned or used both.

Is there really a noticeable difference between the two? According to Summit the difference is very minimal basically the front panel.

best,
Paul
Old 13th July 2008
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Good one Paul.....Let me add another question on this topic: It seems that the "Post Dave Hill" Summit versions don't sound that good. How is that? Does Summit change the whole circuitry in newer versions (or a bit) so much that actually makes it sound WORSE?? I heard some stories about the TLA100 like that.
Old 13th July 2008 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
They are identical in design save for a phase switch being added to the "B" version. They sound exactly the same and both really excel when used with great NOS tubes.
Old 14th July 2008 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Svens ➑️
Good one Paul.....Let me add another question on this topic: It seems that the "Post Dave Hill" Summit versions don't sound that good. How is that? Does Summit change the whole circuitry in newer versions (or a bit) so much that actually makes it sound WORSE?? I heard some stories about the TLA100 like that.
Just out of curiosity, according to whom? My TPA-200 (20 years old - bought from Eldorado Studios, Hollywood) sounds practically identical to a friends brand new TPA-200B (different tubes in mine, westinghouse instead of Ruby). I've noticed this with several of the pieces i've been able to compare.

Orlando
Old 14th July 2008 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mostlykeys ➑️
Just out of curiosity, according to whom? My TPA-200 (20 years old - bought from Eldorado Studios, Hollywood) sounds practically identical to a friends brand new TPA-200B (different tubes in mine, westinghouse instead of Ruby). I've noticed this with several of the pieces i've been able to compare.

Orlando
I just searched on "TLA 100" and the first post i checked is this one: https://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-mu...istressor.html

Somewhere in the thread "Thrillfactor" says that the TLA100 after Dave Hill sounds boring compared to the ones where Dave Hill was still at Summit. I heard several people about this at GS. A while ago Michael Wagener had his "TLA100's Dave Hill" for sale, which also implicates that those versions sound better...

I really dont know about it, but I like to know. I like TLA100's.
Old 17th July 2008 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Tommorow I'll be checking both versions out, I'll let you know if there is any difference.
Old 17th July 2008 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
one of my fav pres
Old 18th July 2008 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I heard the 'B' when Lauten in to do some mic testing. Quite nice. I think you can hear the clips on the Lauten Audio web site.

We compared it to some of my 'special' stuff and found it big and full sounding. A little slower compared to the 512c kinda big, with more full range, and flatter response.
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
I've got a 200B for sale on craigslist now for anybody interested. These do sound quite good, but I have a console coming and I'm selling all my outboard pres (Telefunkenv676, Inward Connections Discreet plus, also in craigslist) in order to raise money for patchbays and wiring!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I tried all units today. the a and b units, the TLA100 and the TLA100a, and the DCL200.

difference between the TPA200A & B units is minimal, if there was any. Both fat and warm, great sound. I couldnt hear a difference between the TLA100 and the TLA100A. Both really goodsounding comps, and easy to use. DCL200 is one of my fav's. Not so much color, but works very smooth. Nice control over attack and release times, really flexible unit.

If people here tell you that the TPA's, TLA100A's or DCL200's are just boring, check one out for yourself. I found em to be very goodsounding units, and are high on my list.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Thanks for busting that ridiculous myth. If there is a difference in sound between old/new units it's probably due to the tubes. Summit used to ship their gear with NOS Mullards and the like -- but that was back before NOS prices went nutty.

Summit Rocks!

thumbsup
πŸ“ Reply