Pre amp for a new kid on the block... - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Pre amp for a new kid on the block...
Old 20th January 2003
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
Pre amp for a new kid on the block...

Hi there:

This is my first post here - good to see a forum dedicated to "high end" gear.

So here's my question:

I'm in the market for my first nice stereo mic pre amp. I think I've narrowed it down to the following 3 manufacturers:

1. Great River
2. Brent Avrill Neve
3. Millennia

Anybody have any pro's or con's on any of these?

I record mostly acoustic based stuff - kinda like James Taylor's style of music.

I'm looking for a pre amp that may add a little "warmth" to an already sterile digital environment. Although - I should add - I don't really want the mic pre amp to be so obvious that you can tell the recordings were done using "brand x".

My budget? - pretty much whatever it takes (I'd like to keep it under $5,000.00 US)

Thanks

Sparky
Old 20th January 2003
Gear Guru

7 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
All three of those are great (I own and use them all). I would have to say the Great River MP-2NV because of it's versatility. The NV can be pretty clean (not as clean as the Millennia however, which really has no 'sound' of it's own), and can come somewhat closer to the 'character' tone of the Brent Averill also. The Brent A is generally darker than the NV, and doesn't have the impedance switching or loading option that the NV has which is almost like having two preamps in one box. Either way, no matter which preamp you choose out of those three I don't think you will ever be getting rid of it if you continue recording music. Something else you may want to consider in your budget is the Groove Tubes Vipre. It's the ultimate in versatility, and you can pretty much get ANY type of tone from that box....impedance switching which will yield various frequency responses from the same mic (some of which settings you may find to be more to your liking than others), & control over the 'speed' of the preamp (i.e. fast is more like the Millennia, slow is more like the Brent Averill). Good luck Sparky.
Old 22nd January 2003
member no 666

🎧 15 years
Looking to add warmth to a cold digital environment... for <$5K... An MP-2NV and a Phoenix DRS-2 should get you there with a good style and swagger... or YMMV.

Best of luck with your search.
📝 Reply