Quantcast
API 312/MP-2nv volume question - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
API 312/MP-2nv volume question
Old 16th January 2003
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
API 312/MP-2nv volume question

I have a Brent Averill API 312 that I've had for a while now and I borrowed an MP-2NV to see if it was a good compliment to it. For quick comparison I set up a single 57 as a drum overhead and for guitar. I was monitoring on my DAW. While the MP2nv sounds great, I had a question/concern about it. Even though it has 70db of gain, I couldn't get it to produce the same volume as the API. It had like 3/4 of the volume and it seemed to have much less low end than the API. I know that sounds crazy, so I was wondering if there may be a problem with this particular MP-2nv. FYI, the Averill API has a high gain mod, but Avedis assured me that it rests squarely in the 60-70 DB range. The mike was not moved, just the cables, so that would not account for it. The MP sounded much smoother and the API had much more prescence and just more all around balls. What am I doing wrong here. Is it an impedance issue? Or is it just the inherent sonic difference between the two units. Even with the MP maxed to the almost thepoint of breakup, it just did not produce the huge sound and volume of the API, which was turned 3/4 of the way up on drums and barely up at all on guitar. What gives. I used a monster 1000 mike cable on the input and a monster xlr to balanced 1/4" into my MOTU 2408 at the output. Thanks!!!!!!!
Old 16th January 2003
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Not sure about the great river, but I can say that my API 312s are way hotter than any other preamp I have , including neve, grace, TL Audio, Manley, mackie, focusrite... I usually run a distressor after the APIs to tame its levels, instead of resorting to the pads.
Old 16th January 2003
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
I was under the impression that the basic 312 circuit produced 65db of gain on it's own with no "high gain mod". You may have a bad unit with the NV, or the 312 may have more available gain than thought.
Old 16th January 2003
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
I don't think the NV is bad, cuz the same thing occurred with a 1nv that I had. The high gain mod was done by Avedis at Brent Averill. I think the first respondant may be on to something. The API is just hot as ****. Lucky I have a pad on it. Thanks!!!!!
Old 16th January 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Hmmm,
I have both an Averill API and GR NV2 and not really noticed any signifigant gain differences between them...definitely different sounding though..
As far as I know my API is "stock" from B.Averill
Old 17th January 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
The API's just run full out loud. My 512c's are padded and turned up only a sliver for plenty of gain when using a 4050, 4060, and TLM103 which are all hot mic's. On top that the API has the thickest, phatest, biggest ass balls for a mic pre I've heard. Much more so than most tube stuff. Add the 525 compressor and you get another whole layer of phatt with the ability to smack and spank you signal into submission...
Old 17th January 2003
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
I figured out the problem. The MP just didn't like the monster xlr to 1/4 balanced out cable for some reason. When I used a simple 1/4" cable out of the -10bd output, it came alive. WEird because the API liked the Monster just fine.
Old 17th January 2003
Gear Guru

7 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Wait...ok, you had a level mismatch between the API and the NV. You were going out of the -10 ouput on the NV and the +4 output on the API. Of course it's hotter, that's a 14db difference.
Old 17th January 2003
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
Nathan, I think you misunderstood my reply. I had the level difference when I went out of the balanced out on the MP. For some reason, the MP just didn't like the monster cable I used on the output. The volume difference went away when I used the -10db output. Basically the issue was I used an xlr to 1/4" balanced on the outputs of both inititally and the mp had no low end and sounded extremely constrained. That is why I posted my initial post.
Old 17th January 2003
Gear Guru

7 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
I talked to Dan Kennedy about what may be the issue with your NV. It's most likely the monster cable is wired incorrectly as I suspected....here's what Dan said:

=======================

It sounds like Pin 3 of the XLR is not connected. This wouldn't effect
the API, but it leaves one end of the output transformer unconnected. The description of no level, no bottom, and thin or honky comes to mind.

You can check by inspection, the low side wire, which is connected to the ring of the TRS plug is probably connected to pin 1 of the XLR, along with the shield. This would make sense if the cable was customized
to work with the unbalanced 312 output.

Try the cable in the NV and jumper between pin 1 and pin 3 of the XLR, the level should come up dramatically, and the tone fill out like it should.

If this happens, solder a jumper in. This shouldn't affect the API, but
try it to be sure.

Dan

===============================

Good Luck, please let us know if this solves the problem.
Old 18th January 2003
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
The monster is wired as Kennedy said. Nathan, thanks for your help and emailing Kennedy . All the best!!
πŸ“ Reply