Quantcast
API 512C and 525 vs. Avalon 737 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
API 512C and 525 vs. Avalon 737
Old 10th January 2003
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
API 512C and 525 vs. Avalon 737

So i've been reading about peoples thoughts on the API's, and they seem pretty positive.

I basically need something to fatten up my synth sounds as well as having some sort of front end for vox.

Anyone A/B'd the two of them?

thanks
Old 10th January 2003
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
I've got two things to say and they're both just personal opinion (and should be taken as such).
1. I'm not that wild about Avalon.
2. The Api 525 is not that flexible. To my ears it has a very retro sound. It's a NICE compressor but I wouldn't have it as my only comp, I'm not even sure I would ever use it on vox.
Old 10th January 2003
Gear Guru

7 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
There are a lot of other options in the same price range that are more flexible, rounder in the bottom, and more utility overall IMO. I don't particularly like API on synth (but I like it in general)...far too fast and crunchy for my tastes in this application. And you will probably be needing a stereo setup (I do anyway when I record synths & keys), so the budget for the 737 might possibly be used to good effect on a 2 ch. preamp rather than a line channel strip. For 'fattening' (or adding air, it does both with all the impedance and loading options) the Great River MP-2NV and also the Phoenix Audio DRS-2 come to mind. An RNC may work just fine for your purposes also, as I find it sonically sounds like an extension rather than an addition to whatever preamp is placed in front of it. Best thing to do is give a listen first and go from there. Good Luck!
📝 Reply