The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Cranesong Hedd + SSL FX383, 384
Old 4th January 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Cranesong Hedd + SSL FX383, 384

Hi all.

My first post :-)

I make modern dance music - from house/techno/r&b - and like a warm punchy sound.

I mix 'in the box' using PT Mix24 w/888-24 and know and acknowledge the weaknesses of this setup (crunchy, brittle high end). My mixes have improved tremendously since I bought some Daking EQ modules and an 1176 for the front end. Running everything, including the final mix thru the Dakings works especially well - even if the EQ is switched out, the Mic Pre circuitry seems to add something magical.

However, I would still like to try 2 things to improve the sound even more. I can't really afford an upgrade to PT HD for the forseeable future at least, so I would like to try the Cranesong Hedd as a clock source/AD-DA converter instead of relying on the 888-24. Could somebody explain how this actually works (I've never clocked a digital device from an external clock - and how do I use the Hedd converters in place of the 888-24's??)

Also - I've been considering a 2 buss compressor to strap across the final mix for quite some time now. I'm looking in the Β£2000 (+vat) bracket and will try the API 2500, but for my type of music I've been recommended the SSL FX384 . (Was looking to try the SLAM but the price hike has put it out of reach).

What kind of sound does the SSL have? Is it EXACTLY the same as the G series console sound? Also - SSL have just released the FX383 dual EQ unit... anybody know the UK RRP on this? Again what is the characteristic sound of this EQ? Considering I'm happy with the Dakings am I crazy to even consider it?

Would a combination of 383+384+Hedd be worth the outlay or should I just save for longer and upgrade to PTHD?

Decisions, decisions!

Burt
Old 4th January 2003
Founder

Dude, phone me up... I have PM' ed you my UK number

Old 4th January 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Hedd+SSL

thx Jules...

am tied up with family today - will call as soon as I get some time to chat
Old 4th January 2003
Gear Addict

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Re: Cranesong Hedd + SSL FX383, 384

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Burt
[B]Hi all.

... Also - SSL have just released the FX383 dual EQ unit... anybody know the UK RRP on this?

they have been making the fx383 dual mic pre/eq unit for a very long time now. i do love using mine when mixing.

the hedd is definitely a giant step above the 888 in terms of the converter quality and the clock on hedd is indeed very good...althought i am clocking mine with aardsync 2.
Old 4th January 2003
Gear Guru

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Re: Cranesong Hedd + SSL FX383, 384

Quote:
Originally posted by Burt
Hi all.

My first post :-)

I make modern dance music - from house/techno/r&b - and like a warm punchy sound.

I mix 'in the box' using PT Mix24 w/888-24 and know and acknowledge the weaknesses of this setup (crunchy, brittle high end). My mixes have improved tremendously since I bought some Daking EQ modules and an 1176 for the front end. Running everything, including the final mix thru the Dakings works especially well - even if the EQ is switched out, the Mic Pre circuitry seems to add something magical.

However, I would still like to try 2 things to improve the sound even more. I can't really afford an upgrade to PT HD for the forseeable future at least, so I would like to try the Cranesong Hedd as a clock source/AD-DA converter instead of relying on the 888-24. Could somebody explain how this actually works (I've never clocked a digital device from an external clock - and how do I use the Hedd converters in place of the 888-24's??)

Also - I've been considering a 2 buss compressor to strap across the final mix for quite some time now. I'm looking in the Β£2000 (+vat) bracket and will try the API 2500, but for my type of music I've been recommended the SSL FX384 . (Was looking to try the SLAM but the price hike has put it out of reach).

What kind of sound does the SSL have? Is it EXACTLY the same as the G series console sound? Also - SSL have just released the FX383 dual EQ unit... anybody know the UK RRP on this? Again what is the characteristic sound of this EQ? Considering I'm happy with the Dakings am I crazy to even consider it?

Would a combination of 383+384+Hedd be worth the outlay or should I just save for longer and upgrade to PTHD?

Decisions, decisions!

Burt
The Hedd cannot directly clock the 888/24(888 uses superclock). You need something like the Aardvarc Sync(very good on 888/24).

The SSLFX384 is a great 2 buss comp. It has its own unique character. Too me it sounds better than the one in the console. Its a one trick pony though, you either like it or you don't. The 383 is excellent too(but there are alot of things out there that are better for price).

It sounds like you want an SSL console(great for Dance and RnB). heh
Old 4th January 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
ssl + cranesong

thx guys...

i didn't realise the 383 EQ had been out for a while... its only recently appeared on UK gear lists... can't find a retail price online so will phone some distributors after the weekend.

how does the 383 EQ differ/compare to the Dakings I have... anybody know both well enough to comment? I realise it has a lot more user control over Q, etc - but I'm mainly concerned about sound... I like warm, vintage but with clarity and detail.

If the 384 comp is a 1 trick pony I could live with that if I like the sound... I guess my 1176 can do the versatile work... or would the Neve 33609J be a better more versatile option? The price is similar.

I'm glad to hear the rack unit sounds better than the console in your opinion... that's a great incentive to check it out.

An SSL console would be nice of course but a tad excessive for my home project setup

grggt

So - on to the Hedd. So I can't use it to clock the 888-24 hmmm ... and I know its basic but how do I use its converters instead of the 888-24's in my PTs only mixes? Would I need/benefit from the newer Hedd 192 or is the original Hedd enough for the 888-24?

thx again

(btw - Jules, your PM didn't arrive yet... does it take a while??)

Burt
Old 4th January 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
PM

Hi Jules

got the PM - new to all this :-)

will call soon.

Burt
Old 5th January 2003
Gear Guru

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Re: ssl + cranesong

Quote:
Originally posted by Burt
thx guys...

how does the 383 EQ differ/compare to the Dakings I have... anybody know both well enough to comment? I realise it has a lot more user control over Q, etc - but I'm mainly concerned about sound... I like warm, vintage but with clarity and detail.

Its very different. I wouldn't use warm as adjective more like...I guess useful. If you want warm and vintage with detail try a Neve 1081.

If the 384 comp is a 1 trick pony I could live with that if I like the sound... I guess my 1176 can do the versatile work... or would the Neve 33609J be a better more versatile option? The price is similar.

That's weird, here in the states the difference is like $1500. They are both again very different. The benefit of the 33609J is that you can run it in mono as well as stereo(the 384 is strictly a stereo unit). Another option is the Alan Smart C2(very similar to the 384).

I'm glad to hear the rack unit sounds better than the console in your opinion... that's a great incentive to check it out.

Hey you welcome, but as always let yours decide.

An SSL console would be nice of course but a tad excessive for my home project setup

There is a guy in England that makes an SSL sidecar(up to 16 channels)with all of the bells and whistles. You can configure it in any combination you want.

grggt

So - on to the Hedd. So I can't use it to clock the 888-24 hmmm ... and I know its basic but how do I use its converters instead of the 888-24's in my PTs only mixes? Would I need/benefit from the newer Hedd 192 or is the original Hedd enough for the 888-24?

Go with the latest version(it has the pentode and tape emulation). Also you can dither from the front of it and you can use both the A/D and D/A together. Just run it AES into the 888-24.

thx again

You welcome.

Cheers.

(btw - Jules, your PM didn't arrive yet... does it take a while??)

Burt
Old 5th January 2003
Founder

Running AES into the 888 WILL clock it with the Hedd wordclock...

No sweat, no extra gear needed IMHO.

Jules
Old 5th January 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I'd save your cash on the 2-bus comp and work on your front end
and also maybe PT technique.. can't see the mastering guy won't do a better job with 2 bus. although in the world of rock n'roll I guess that bad boy is strapped on more often than not..

The Hedd is mighty fine..but an alternative cheaper option - 2nd hand Rosetta gives you a cool A/D inc better clock straight away, then spend the rest of the dosh on another nice fat analog pre/eq/etc. ?
Old 5th January 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
cranesong + ssl

thx again guys...

Adam - you have highlighted a major dilemma I've had since I started making music in my own studio 12yrs back... how much do I leave for the mastering guy vs how much do I do myself?

Its tricky - obviously a mastering house will have access to a much larger range of top gear and have superior listening and monitoring conditions. As long as my music is still released on vinyl and CD (as opposed to internet download only in the not-too-distant-future if the industry scare stories are true) then my end product will always end up in the hands of a mastering guy. So why bother with hi-end converters, 2 bus mix comp/eq's??

Well - sometimes its advantageous to have finished mixes and remixes to be as slamming/polished as possible... especially when dealing with clueless A&R people who forget there's a mastering process to come!

Also - I know there are MANY superb, experienced mastering engineers who know exactly how to get the best sounding tracks in many different styles, but in my experience its sometimes difficult to communicate what sound I'm after (my fault as much as theirs) even if I bring in an example on CD/vinyl. Sometimes its an age difference (too young more than too old! ;-) , sometimes its musical taste, sometimes its about certain 'mastering rules' that I don't understand. And my music is sometimes mastered in another continent and I can't attend, etc.

Therefore I'm beginning to fall on the side of doing as much as I can myself - something I've resisted up until now. After all, I write, record, mix it all - why not master it too?!

I'm more than happy with my front end of Daking EQs (thx for the recommendation Chrisso!) + 1176. I record male/female vocals but almost everything else is electronic incl. drums. My TLM 103 has been fine for the vocals so far - its a great match with the Dakings+1176... I know I can buy better mic wise, but I'm more than satisfied.

I'm gonna check the API 2500, Neve 33609J and SSL 384 for the 2-bus comp... will probably stick with my Dakings EQ-wise.

If the Hedd CAN clock the 888-24 then i will surely check it out too... seems like the 192 is the sensible option on that also.

THX guys - most helpful!

Burt
Old 5th January 2003
Gear Guru

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Jules
Running AES into the 888 WILL clock it with the Hedd wordclock...

No sweat, no extra gear needed IMHO.

Jules
It doesn't sound as good. In this situation its better if he ran the Hedd AES in to 888 but left it to internal.

Also if he will use D/A on Hedd(for monitoring) than it will be clocked externaly(Digi AES).
Old 11th January 2003
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by adam_w
I'd save your cash on the 2-bus comp and work on your front end
and also maybe PT technique..
I think that's a bit rough.
It really makes sense these days to have projects leaving your studio in the best possible shape. Most of the stuff I produce has to go through half a dozen execs and a&r guys before it even has a sniff at a mastering house.
I'm no mastering engineer, but I know my tracks have to kill if anyone is going to take them seriously.
Besides, this is gearslutz. Have you seen the amount of 'mastering' tools fellow gearslutz are using? GML, HEDD, MANLEY
πŸ“ Reply