Old 4th January 2003
Founder

The man is clearly insane!

Wooden't you agree?

Old 4th January 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Yeah

Yeah, but it wood look so nice in your library studio, don't you think ????

heh

malice
Old 8th January 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Kent

I'm wondering how he goes about sheilding everything whilst utilizing a wooden case. Not wondering quite enough to dig through the guy's website though. Could stand to be cleaned up a tad
I spent a bunch of time on that site.
The guy has a serious karma about his gear, how
he sells it, etc. No specs, no visits, no demos.

All the circuits are potted, probably in epoxy, one
channel in a blob. Sez it keeps his design secrets
safe, and allows for quick module replacement.

There is even a section of the FAQ addressing all the folks
bitching about the site design. He says it works for him,
and his customers, so fu if you can't take it.

Most strange, prices are almost reasonable.
Old 8th January 2003
Moderator emeritus

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Kent

I'm sceptical and wary of things that can't be fixed in the field when one should be able to should/when the need arises. I'm not talking about DSP cards. Plain old analog electronics or simple digital things should be field repairable. Easily.
(By a qualified technician equipped with a set of schematics, and other disclaimers...)
Absolutely! I've bitched at several manufacturers about their lack of schematics. The three things I've run into are (A) those times when the company is no longer in business, (B) when I want to have a piece of equipment modified., and (C) when there simply isn't time to send it back to the factory.

Both Alan Hyatt and Fletcher have helped me in the past with schematics for gear that needed to be modified, and I'm deeply appreciative of their efforts on my behalf.
Old 9th January 2003
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Do you suppose some of the epoxy blobs are covering circuits already patented by someone else?

In some cases, exposing the circuit to the world may throw off copycats. There was the section on the ZVexx effects website where he compares a counterfeit pedal to one of his own, and it was really well done, except the details weren't right, like using Radio Shack parts. If the parts were epoxied over, well, caveat emptor.

I'd have to figure that as a consumer this sort of circuit concealing, rather than raising value of the item by maintaining whatever secret or mystique, lowers the value in terms of ease of repair and fine tuning. Is it the LA-3 or LA-4 that most everyone prefers with some comonly known mods? Imagine if a blob of epoxy made that impossible. That, and in circuits that run hot it can't be good for component life.

Bear
Old 9th January 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Jules, i think you should buy one so that you make the " Sporting wood @ the Library" line of SWAG....
Old 12th January 2003
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
OK......I'm the only one here?

I have a custom TB-6

He actually has a shot of it on his site..... http://www.davisound.com/DT-TB6C-1.jpg

Its 4 mic pres and 2 instrument pres.

I like it a lot......in fact, I LOVE it.

Admittedly, he is a wierd guy with wierd ways of doing things, as most would point out. I emailed with him quite a bit before I bought and was kind of into how into his products he is....he reminds me a bit of Mike Fuller in this way (another guy who hides his secrets in epoxy, btw!).

I figured I couldnt go TOO wrong for the money....the TB-6 was $895 and he was only charging me an extra hundred or so bucks for the 2 extra pres....kind of as a "loosener" I think!

His pres subscribe to the school of clean and transparent but I find my TB-6 to be a bit "silkier" than most of the other sraight "clean, transparent" pres I have heard. I've used them with all kinds of mics form my own and other peoples' collections and havent really found anything that just didnt work....in fact, i LOVE what it does to my Beyer M160s!

I'm no super pro with great gear but I DO get use some from time to time.....I just recently used my TB-6 next to a few Neve and APIs and was really impressed with the way it conducted itself. Of course it doesnt sound like either of these pres, but it did what i expected it to do and it did the job well.....what else is there? I'm happy with it.

heylow
Old 14th January 2003
Lives for gear

Anyone else?!?!?
Old 3rd July 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

7 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I have actually recently ordered a custom dj console frome him. Cant wait for it. Quite expensive though but I got everything I wanted and designed the hole thing myself.
4 channels switchable from line to phono
2 aux sends
2 aux return
trims
pan
3 band eq
2 master faders
headphone cues on each channel
2 vu meters
and also phantom on each channel for microphone.

Old 14th October 2014
Gear Head

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Davisound the real deal

I have a TB-12 and also have ordered a TB-7.

The TB 12 originally belonged to Shoebox studios. I've had it in service for three years. It is so good I try not to use it...only to rediscover that it is the best solution for many mics and sounds.

I've caved-in to the hype and spent the last 18 months trying sexier pres...La Chapelle, API, Portico, etc. In almost every case, I've returned to the Davisound.

I do like overdriving pres (not possible on the Davisound) on occasion and have retained the LaChapell tube box for this purpose. But I am never...I say never...dissatisfied with the clarity of the Davisound. As soon as you start using it, you hear what you were missing on other devices. Most mics sound different and you realize how much other pres were adding color. Thrilling! But, after a while, it is easy to tire of the Davisound performance because the naked signal is almost boring in its accuracy.

But the sound can be shaped and squished into anything you want...and returned without consequence. Not true for colored or distorted pres that commit the sound during tracking.

And how this accuracy is appreciated on overhead cymbals, metal percussion like triangles and bells and tambourines...and ooh the leading VOX!
πŸ“ Reply