So... who designed YOUR hi-end Studio? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
So... who designed YOUR hi-end Studio?
Old 2nd January 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
So... who designed YOUR hi-end Studio?

Your own creation or did you have help?

What did you do wrong that you would fix if given another chance?
Old 2nd January 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
****in lucky

I did all by myself in my studio

The sound is great

If I could redone it, I would definitly make it bigger.

I need another room to record live bands, that's all (for the moment, I only have 40 square meters enough to track small sets)

will make it this year anyway...
Old 2nd January 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
studio design

although I would hardly call our studio hi-end, it was all a DIY effort. We can take full responsibility for any successes and all failures. And I agree with the first reply that I would not bother putting all of the time, effort and money into a studio unless the live room was up to par, or was big enough that it could be brought up to a decent level.

Having spent hundreds of hours soldering, stripping, racking, wiring, etc. only to have the live room sound like crap is the ultimate first timer's mistake. All the high-end studio gear in the world won't make our 17'x14'x9', fuzz covered live room sound like anything but the muffled, sweat-sock of a room that it is and will aways be.

I learned the hard way that two good mics, a stereo mic preamp and a simple recorder, in a great room is a much better choice than $100K worth of gear crammed into a sweat-sock of a room. And when I see all of these new "studios" opening up that consist of a high powered computer in a spare bedroom, I realize that a lot of other folks are destined to learn the same lesson.

steve
Old 2nd January 2003
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Thanks Steve, I'll now open every studio tour with... "Welcome to my sweat-sock"

Wow, you've got 9' ceilings... I envy you man, it's 7'4" here, the overheads are likely to poke you in the eye...

I shouldn't even be posting in the hi-end forum. Somebody call a moderator in here and delete this post!

Seriously though, I really hope that someday I'll build a nice sounding tracking room.
Old 2nd January 2003
Moderator emeritus

🎧 15 years
Well, I think my place fairly high end (or at least it will be..), and I did the design. I had Michael Blackmer to the design for te Pro Tools suiter, though - I figure that it's a smaller space and therefore the design is more critical.
Old 3rd January 2003
Ted
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Fran Manzella is doing mine. We will be finished 2/10/03. It's coming along well. Hope my live room doesn't sound like crap. It's always a crap shoot when you are modifying an existing house/structure...

Thanks,
Ted.
Old 3rd January 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Ted
Fran Manzella is doing mine...
Ted,
What is the level of their involvment? I can tell by your answer that they are doing more that just the design. Are they overseeing construction or did they handle that as well and contract their own people or companies?

Thanks
Old 3rd January 2003
Ted
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Actually my contractor and I'm doing all the work. Fran will make trips out to oversee stages but in my case it hasn't been necessary. I do highend home theatre on the side and am an acoustical contractor of sorts myself. His plans are great. Between those, some previous understanding of RPG stuff, and lots of phone calls everything has gone fine. I'm not sure whether Fran will send contractors or not as it never even came up in my case. He did have to come up in the beggining so he could check out the house/attic spaces/roof lines so he could draw the plans.

This was a MAJOR reconstructuion of this house to make this happen. I've been very impressed with his memory for detail in the last year. There have been some challenges having nothing to do with them and he has worked us through them via phone with flying colors. His knowledge is very vast in all phases of this stuff. It's hard to "throw" him on anything, I've tried. He is well woth every penny. I will send pics or post pics if you guys want me to. Actually our web page will be up soon and I can post them there also. It has been fun and hard. Anytime you have to modify an existing structure to this extent and still live in it for a whole year it is interesting at the least. Let me know if you have any more questions. I will be glad to answer them. In the end I highly reccomend FM Design.

Thanks,
Ted.
Old 4th January 2003
jon
Capitol Studios Paris

🎧 15 years
Our place was designed by Christian Malcurt, a designer well-known in France who also did, among other places, Plus XXX, Le Manoir, and Luc Besson's Digital Factory.
Old 4th January 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Ted
.... I will send pics or post pics if you guys want me to. ....

Thanks,
Ted.
Please, post some pics! we all love pics!
Old 6th January 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Steve Smith
Please, post some pics! we all love pics!
DITTO!! Show us!
Old 6th January 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
I designed our place but had a really helpful meeting with Peter Maurer of Studio Bau:Ton. A lot of input from a local acoustician also meant a lot.

Couldn't have done it without a small army of wood workers, brick layers, painters, electricians and so on. The owner of the building was really helpful in getting material as well as the right craftsmen at incredible discounts. My role was to provide blue prints, order stuff and balancing the accounts.

As the owner of this studio is a large and very well organised non-profit organisation it was all done by the book. And on time (!)

/Mats
Old 7th January 2003
jon
Capitol Studios Paris

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Ted
Actually my contractor and I'm doing all the work. Fran will make trips out to oversee stages but in my case it hasn't been necessary. I do highend home theatre on the side and am an acoustical contractor of sorts myself. His plans are great. Between those, some previous understanding of RPG stuff, and lots of phone calls everything has gone fine. I'm not sure whether Fran will send contractors or not as it never even came up in my case. He did have to come up in the beggining so he could check out the house/attic spaces/roof lines so he could draw the plans.

This was a MAJOR reconstructuion of this house to make this happen. I've been very impressed with his memory for detail in the last year. There have been some challenges having nothing to do with them and he has worked us through them via phone with flying colors. His knowledge is very vast in all phases of this stuff. It's hard to "throw" him on anything, I've tried. He is well woth every penny. I will send pics or post pics if you guys want me to. Actually our web page will be up soon and I can post them there also. It has been fun and hard. Anytime you have to modify an existing structure to this extent and still live in it for a whole year it is interesting at the least. Let me know if you have any more questions. I will be glad to answer them. In the end I highly reccomend FM Design.

Thanks,
Ted.
Hey Ted, your place sounds like it's going to be really great. How 'bout some work in progress pix?

Wanna merge studios? Just imagine the two killer rooms in one place that would make...a 9000J and a 9098i....hell, add in Michael for the Euphonix/Sony room and Chris for the PT HD PC room...get e-cue's or SM's (can't remember which) SSL E series in there...a damn fine 5-room analog & digital place that could make.

Old 7th January 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
... and RaGe's Yamaha 01V! Man we could be killin'
Old 7th January 2003
jon
Capitol Studios Paris

🎧 15 years
Old 9th January 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Ted,
Don't forget us, i have been drooling for days, now to see pics.
Old 9th January 2003
Ted
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Hi all,
Haven't forgotten you, just been really busy. I need to transfer the pics. I will do this soon. Sorry it's taking so long.

Thanks,
Ted.
Old 10th January 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
The high-end studio (and 3 control rooms) were designed by George Augspurger - awesome!!

My low end studio at home, was designed by me, our architect, and the contractor.
Old 10th January 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Hey guys, let me ask ya.

If you going ground up in a multipurpose building with offices and stuff, would you use the same group or person that designed the studio to design the entire structure.

I was speaker with a designer and he mentioned that his group could do it all. I would think that it would be more expensive that way. Any thoughts or stories from experience?

Jon,
I can tell that your place must be in a complex of some kind. Do you have nay wisdom here?

Thanks

Stizz,
Do you have a website address for George?
Old 11th January 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Mr. Chris

Studio designed by the amazing Chris Huston at :
www.chrishuston.com
He engineered Led Zep2, The Rascals 'Groovin'" all of War and is a nice fellow to boot.
Tell him Jim sent you

oh yeah, He did Tom Petty's studio as well as Mike McDonald and the Sound Kitchen in Nashville
Old 12th January 2003
jon
Capitol Studios Paris

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by RSMITH123
Jon,
I can tell that your place must be in a complex of some kind. Do you have nay wisdom here?

Thanks
Actually, the studio and offices here are all in an independent building. Our entryway runs through another building, so we touch another building at that point; after that, we're all alone.

My old studio which is rented long-term by the year is located in the first two floors of a residential building.

Unfortunately, I don't have experience with ground-up building -- both places were already studios before I arrived and renovated them.
Old 12th January 2005
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Vincent Van Haaff designed our facility.

http://www.waterland.com/html/home.html
Old 12th January 2005
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I designed the studio and it was tweaked by John Sayers

He was fantastic and his advice made the studio possible.

I did all the construction myself.
Old 12th January 2005
member no 666

🎧 15 years
Riad

There is only one "n" in "Denis"
Old 12th January 2005
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
What is it with superstars that build themselves a personal recording studio years after they become famous?
Do they figure they can recapture some of that youthful creativity by constructing a multi-million dollar facility so they can hang out getting drunk?
I keep seeing pictures of super-nice studios built for has-beens. The one that keeps coming to mind is Whitney Houston's studio. Good place to tweak while listening to her 80's silliness, I guess.
Allen
Old 12th January 2005
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Ahhhh..............what's an 'n' between right wing
idealogues?
ps- that Merc. Audio Great River MP improved
Neve knockoff with the impedence loading, sounds
fantastic. I woulda said fanntastik but you know, spelling and all..................
nice job, you pud. Now I've gotta get the EQ. So my daughter goes to a state school for nail care and I'm sending your's to Harvard or.......Full Sail.
(first time Harvard and Full Sail were in a sentence together.........probably the last)

Really well done, simple with lot's of colors.
I didn't get that Neve, low end build up after tracking a stack of tracks and it's the balls with ribbons.
Stop it. (after the Pendulum, but honest dear, that's it, right?) Are there 12 step programs for this?
chap
Old 12th January 2005
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Stop it. (after the Pendulum, but honest dear, that's it, right?) Are there 12 step programs for this?
chap [/B][/QUOTE]

Chap,
What the hell are you drinkin' tonight?
Allen
Old 12th January 2005
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
No drinking. I'm making reference to "GAS".
Gear acquisition syndrome.
I'm wondering if it ends or do we die hoping for our last update.

And I will not slap your ass.
chap
Old 12th January 2005
Lives for gear

DIY man also over here. i wouldn't dare to say that is a high end studio because we made the same mistakes like other DIY guys. put a lot of money into gear and left acoustics back.

but i did all the wiring, planning, buying (this part is the best, you should do it for yourself ) etc...

good is, that for electronic music we don't need a live room, a good control room is enough. i swear that all my money that i earn next will flow into the room. no gear no more, i promise heh

though i'm convinced that i can run a business here, the room's size is wonderful:

21' x 24' x 13'

it's so high, you can hang up a reflector to the ceiling and still you can not reach it with your outstretched arm when you stand up

deft:::
Old 12th January 2005
Gear Guru

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
I have a question for everyone:

What is the defintion of a High End studio?

We are having the same discussion on the forumn devoted to making money with a High End studio.

It seems everyone has different definition and standard.

I am wondering why that is so?

Just curious.
πŸ“ Reply