Quantcast
So... who designed YOUR hi-end Studio? - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
So... who designed YOUR hi-end Studio?
Old 12th January 2005
Lives for gear

instantly i'd answer that a high end studio is a studio with high end gear (let's say a lot of gear with some price tag) and a well designed room, or rooms of course.

therefore i should count myself only semi-high end

good gear, but still lacking high end acoustics. not bad acoustics but not high end
Old 12th January 2005
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
John Storyk did mine. Beth Walters did the interior design.
Old 12th January 2005
Craneslut

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by thethrillfactor
What is the defintion of a High End studio?
As I've said before, a place where there are no excuses - everything is top notch, well maintained, and nothing is beyond availability...

Quote:
It seems everyone has different definition and standard.

I am wondering why that is so?
Because 'high end' is a meaningless term in the first place! My definition is going to be different than yours as my expereinces are differenet than yours...

It's the same thing as asking "What's an expensive studio?" - it's all quite relative...
Old 12th January 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Brad Blackwood
As I've said before, a place where there are no excuses - everything is top notch, well maintained, and nothing is beyond availability...

nice one, brad. that could be a good definition for high end.
Old 12th January 2005
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Can a "Home Studio" be thought of as a "High-end Studio"? How about if it has an SSL 900? And besides, why does a studio in a home have to be thought of as "inferior"?

Regards,
Bruce
Old 12th January 2005
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by crna59
Can a "Home Studio" be thought of as a "High-end Studio"? How about if it has an SSL 900? And besides, why does a studio in a home have to be thought of as "inferior"?

Regards,
Bruce

Read Brad's last post ... especially the part about all being relative.

It's imho very possible for a home studio to be high end , just as possible as it if for a 12 room facility to be 'low-end' .... even though in practice you'll find more opposites of that.

High end above all stands for high quality imo. Wherever / whatever / however / whomever / etc .... both in relation with people and gear.
Old 13th January 2005
Gear Guru

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Brad Blackwood

Because 'high end' is a meaningless term in the first place! My definition is going to be different than yours as my expereinces are differenet than yours...

Brad,

How about the difference between High End and World Class?

Should there be a difference or is it all semantics?
Old 13th January 2005
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
would high end be defined by results (both sonic and creative)?
It would seem, to a certain degree, that the age of
beautiful environments with a full staff vs. a smaller environment with the same gear and expertise but less overhead and cosmetics, has
been here for awhile.
They both have their place but it's the results that
count.
chap
Old 13th January 2005
Craneslut

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by thethrillfactor
How about the difference between High End and World Class?

Should there be a difference or is it all semantics?
Semantics, imo. The fact that neither of these terms are defined makes it impossible to differentiate one from the other, imo...

Based on my experiences, I generally seem to expect more from a studio than most. Once again, it's all relative...
Old 13th January 2005
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by C.Lambrechts
High end above all stands for high quality imo.
The term "high quality" has never sat well with me. Would that mean there is low quality and if there was, would you want it?

Marketing people twist words to sell product. It's either quality or it's not.
Old 13th January 2005
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Just so you know who is doing mine as we speak.

www.whitemark.com
www.oakwoodbuildingservices.com

Peace
DD
www.blast-recording.com
Old 13th January 2005
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
A "High End" studio is one that if Mariah Carey called and wanted to do her entire album there, you wouldn't freak out.
Old 14th January 2005
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
These guys are the kings
http://www.pilchner-schoustal.com/
Old 26th January 2005
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by hethaerto
What is it with superstars that build themselves a personal recording studio years after they become famous?
Do they figure they can recapture some of that youthful creativity by constructing a multi-million dollar facility so they can hang out getting drunk?
I keep seeing pictures of super-nice studios built for has-beens. The one that keeps coming to mind is Whitney Houston's studio. Good place to tweak while listening to her 80's silliness, I guess.
Allen
For all you fellows over in Richard's forum, I've seen through you. You discuss your "theories" on why superstars never make genuine use of their special-built custom personal studios. Wow, brilliant topic. Can you ass-kissers not think for yourselves?! Losers, one and all, except for Richard. I'm sure he sees through you all, anyway.

Allen

I'm sure I'll be banned for being angry at you "PROJECT STUDIO/HOME STUDIO" owners.
Old 26th January 2005
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
thank you Allen!
Old 26th January 2005
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
The first room we built was a combination of efforts. We did some of the initial design, but there are a lot of specialty areas in which we wanted to get outside assistance. We've had Bob Hodas do the acoustical consulting and treatment, Art Kelm from Ground One do the electrical planning, and some other folks like George Ossberger consult.

http://www.bobhodas.com/
http://www.ground1.com/

For the new rooms we're building (SSL mix and 5.1 room and a post-production/edit suite) , we currently finalizing our firm choices, but I think Studio 440 is going to get the go-ahead.

http://www.studio440.com
Old 26th January 2005
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
I keep seeing pictures of super-nice studios built for has-beens. The one that keeps coming to mind is Whitney Houston's studio. Good place to tweak while listening to her 80's silliness, I guess.
Allen
yeah, I've become acquanted with the guy that designed the Houston/Brown home studio. to say it is over the top would really be an understatement. but not as off the chain as some of his other projects... Russ Berger Design Group

on of the nicest fellows you'd ever hope to meet.

cheers,
Old 27th January 2005
More cowbell!

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by meteor
yeah, I've become acquanted with the guy that designed the Houston/Brown home studio. to say it is over the top would really be an understatement. but not as off the chain as some of his other projects... Russ Berger Design Group

on of the nicest fellows you'd ever hope to meet.

cheers,
2nd vote for Russ
Old 27th January 2005
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
3rd vote for Russ. He's one of my best friends, and he designed my high end world class home project studio.heh
Old 27th January 2005
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Martin Pilchner did my room.
Nice work!
check them out here
http://www.pilchner-schoustal.com/
Old 27th January 2005
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Vincent Van Haaff hates glass integrated into a studio environment. He feels that because glass is such an obvious reflective surface that it totally negates the point of any serious acoustic design in the first place.

( I hope he doesn't discover the glass end table I have in the control room)
Old 27th January 2005
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by picksail
Vincent Van Haaff hates glass integrated into a studio environment. He feels that because glass is such an obvious reflective surface that it totally negates the point of any serious acoustic design in the first place.

( I hope he doesn't discover the glass end table I have in the control room)
So, without glass, do you view the rooms via video surveillance?
Allen
Old 27th January 2005
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
And yet another vote for Russ and his team...they designed a beautiful space for me...too bad the money ran out before I could build it! I do have a nifty 3-D video of the studio (it was a ground-up project) with perfect digital renditions of me and my wife on the deck outside the lounge. Maybe when I win the lottery I can revisit the plans.
Old 27th January 2005
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
So, without glass, do you view the rooms via video surveillance?
Allen
Well considering that most Americans can't decipher a turn signal- much less know when and why to apply it- I can't expect them to understand what it is I'm signaling them to do from behind the glass.

It isn't really necessary for me to see them- I opt to just listen. The visual element of the tracking process can be distracting.i.e I don't need to be able to see how far away a vocalist is standing from the mic-I can hear it. The talkback system works just fine for most applications and no one has ever complained.

Albeit, we do intend to install a video monitoring system very soon.
Old 27th January 2005
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
I wish I knew who designed my studio. It's located in the original WHK broadcast studios, Cleveland, Ohio.

Floating floors, polycylinders, helmholtz diffusors, you name it.

These guys had a massive budget and did it right. I'm lucky to be in such a cool and historic building.

Magnetic North Studio

Chris
Old 2nd February 2005
TML
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Have sent Berger emails regarding building a project studio in a commercial location. Never heard back from them. Guess they don't need the business. Or don't want to deal with smaller studios. Will probably give Stork a call. I'm sure they can find a way to spend 300 grand. Peace.

ps. Come on...there must be 5 other insane bastards out there that will pony up some dough so were can buy Bearsville and turn it into 3 studios with a half dozen editing suites.......any takers......last I was told they wanted 1.7 mill.....
fuuck
Old 2nd February 2005
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
go to www.chrishuston.com

He's done Tom Petty, Ricky Scaggs. the Grand Ole Opry, (me ).
Oh, he also engineered Led Zep, Rascals, All of the 'War' albums and hundreds of other classics.

Plus, he's reasonably priced and from Liverpool
(lives in Nashville) and tells great stories like the time he installed a Bigsby on his neighbor, John Lennon's, Rickenbacher.

tell him chap sent you
peace,
chap (who sent you)
Old 3rd February 2005
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Re: studio design

[QUOTE]Originally posted by hollywood_steve
[B]

Having spent hundreds of hours soldering, stripping, racking, wiring, etc. only to have the live room sound like crap is the ultimate first timer's mistake. All the high-end studio gear in the world won't make our 17'x14'x9', fuzz covered live room sound like anything but the muffled, sweat-sock of a room that it is and will aways be.

/QUOTE]

Man, this is EXACTLY what I did. Oh yeah, plus about four years of sketchy as hell construction projects, including about 10 walls each up to 18' high on the fourth floor, ridulous floating floors and other pure insanity with limited carpentry skills. Oh yeah, I also lived in it for about 2.5 years. 1 year with no shower. (we installed that too.) Four years, man. Fortunately I was about twenty when I started so I've had time to recover. Damn, if only the internet was what it is today in '94 - would have saved myself oodles of trouble and money

Crappy room = hopeless.
πŸ“ Reply