Quantcast
Soundelux E47 vs Lawson L47mp?? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Soundelux E47 vs Lawson L47mp??
Old 1st January 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Soundelux E47 vs Lawson L47mp??

Hi, Both of these mics have been highly raved about and both, supposedly are shooting for the big, larger than life, creamy, blah, blah, blah sound of a classic, well-tuned U47. The Soundelux is about $1,000 more though so here's my question:
Is the E47 really a better U47 contender or is the Lawson just as good, but cheaper because of the factory direct marketing of Lawson. I appreciate all feedback from first-hand users.
Thanks,
Steve
Old 1st January 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I don't know if this will help much but I've had the lawson L47mp
for a year or more and I really like it on lots of stuff, I just got the l251 from Lawson, and I also like it! I have a bunch of mics but would still like to get the 47 soundelux version to try out.
What scares me is that I keep buying this stuff and I keep it cause I like the various flavorsrollz
daniel
Old 1st January 2003
Moderator emeritus

🎧 15 years
Re: Soundelux E47 vs Lawson L47mp??

Quote:
Originally posted by guittarzzan
Hi, Both of these mics have been highly raved about and both, supposedly are shooting for the big, larger than life, creamy, blah, blah, blah sound of a classic, well-tuned U47. The Soundelux is about $1,000 more though so here's my question:
Is the E47 really a better U47 contender or is the Lawson just as good, but cheaper because of the factory direct marketing of Lawson. I appreciate all feedback from first-hand users.
Thanks,
Steve
I dunno - there's always the issue of which 47 each designer used as a model. I've played through the Neumann that Gene Lawson used, and his L47MP sounds pretty much just like it. Others have told me that in their opinion, it's not a 'magical' U 47, but an OK one. Since I haven't had the chance to play with David Bock's version, I don't have an opinion of it, or (unfortunately) any way to compare the two. But I do find the Lawson to be enormoustly useful on a wide variety of vocalists as well as some instruments (it's my standard sax mic). I'm afraid that you'll simply have to try them both and see which one YOU like better.

I know that Gene has a retuyrn policy, and if you deal with Mercenary, they'll work with you as well. Check 'em out
Old 1st January 2003
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
I had an E47 and Elux251 here on trial for a month. Loved 'em both but kept the E47. Haven't heard the Lawsons but most people seem to like 'em. I don't have any first-hand experience with the U47.

My goal is to add modern classics to my collection as opposed to the trying to find a "magical" one of the venerable originals. Why not audition a few first and see what you like.

Good luck!
Old 1st January 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Thanks, I have an opportunity to buy both used and am just trying to get some feedback on if the E47 is really worth that much extra cash.
thx,
Steve
Old 1st January 2003
no ssl yet
hell I need a trip to portland. If you decide against the used Lawson let me know the price info. If the seller is in PO I'll even fly out to purchase

(Might swing by walter midi and have some fun on the B3)
Old 1st January 2003
no ssl yet
Of course my last post only means something if the price is good
Old 1st January 2003
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
To my ears, the E47 has a smoother midrange and a clearer top than the L47. When I compared the two, my wallet really wanted me to like the L47 more. But alas, my ears vetoed.

You'll need to hear both....they really don't sound all that similar.
Old 1st January 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Hi Steve

A fellow Portlander! I have used both the Lawson and the Soundelux versions of the 47 quite a bit. Supernatural Sound has the Lawson and Crossroads Productions has the E47. I think the Soundelux is a lot better than the Lawson.

Craig
Old 2nd January 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
What have you used the mics for? Male vocs, guitars or what? Do you think the E47 does what the L47 does...just a lot better??
Thanks,
Steve
Old 2nd January 2003
Gear Guru

7 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Electric guitars, acoustic, dobro, drum overheads, 4x10 bass cab, male and female vocals....sounds rich in the midrange but doesn't have a mushy top.
Old 2nd January 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Nathan are you referring to the E47 or L47 in your last post?
thx
Old 2nd January 2003
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Without hesitation...I can assure you he is talking about the E47.
Old 2nd January 2003
Gear Guru

7 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Yes
Old 4th January 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
I had both in the studio and they were so close in sound I couldn't spend the extra $1000 on the Elux47. The Lawson is a great value and sounds wonderful IMHO.
Old 4th January 2003
Gear Guru

7 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by guittarzzan
I just found a place that is selling new E47's for $2,400. I can't believe it.
Wow, where is that, I would like to pick up a few at that price.
Old 4th January 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Ooops, my bad. I misunderstood him. He had an used one that was a little dinged up for $2,400. I thought we were talking about a new mic when I spoke to him.
Steve
Old 2nd August 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I enjoy my L47

But I'd like to try the E47.

Please listen to my latest mp3s and tell me if you think I should use something else.

Also, I'm thinking aobut selling my Manley Variable Mu Comp because I've decided to record straight from preamp to adc.
Attached Images
Soundelux E47 vs Lawson L47mp??-geniewildflowerscovertiny.jpg 
Old 3rd August 2003
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
I own both mics and the E47 usually wins shootoouts; the smoother midrange and silkier top of the E47 are what people keep hearing.
Old 4th August 2003
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
A friend of mine and I have set both against each other. Can't say one is better than the other, but I do prefere the L47MP on my voice.
Old 18th March 2007 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
TUBE 47 vs E47

OK so E47 is better. BUT HOW DOES IT SOUND AGAINST A WELL-MAINTAINED NUEMAN?????????????????

Thats waht we all want to know
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by salisiva ➑️
OK so E47 is better. BUT HOW DOES IT SOUND AGAINST A WELL-MAINTAINED NUEMAN?????????????????

Thats waht we all want to know
We do?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
fist you have to spell Neumann correctly!
Old 18th July 2008 | Show parent
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
well it's something like 5 years after the first post in this thread...for what it's worth I can offer some first hand comparisons between these two mics. They are very similar in sound and tonal character, but I prefer the E47. Processed thru the same system....Control 24 with FR plat built in mic pre's and a bit of Renn Comp, it's a bit smoother, warmer, fuller, all the good stuff you're wanting from one of these 47 type mics. My use is for vocals and acoustic guitars. Since SD's are no longer available new you'll have to settle for a used one...they are bringing an average of $2500...new Lawsons are still available and used Lawsons are bringing around $1700...to my ears the SD is worth the extra bucks. Something about the Lawson just didn't do it for me...Just me though.
Old 20th December 2018 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbvoxx ➑️
well it's something like 5 years after the first post in this thread...for what it's worth I can offer some first hand comparisons between these two mics. They are very similar in sound and tonal character, but I prefer the E47. Processed thru the same system....Control 24 with FR plat built in mic pre's and a bit of Renn Comp, it's a bit smoother, warmer, fuller, all the good stuff you're wanting from one of these 47 type mics. My use is for vocals and acoustic guitars. Since SD's are no longer available new you'll have to settle for a used one...they are bringing an average of $2500...new Lawsons are still available and used Lawsons are bringing around $1700...to my ears the SD is worth the extra bucks. Something about the Lawson just didn't do it for me...Just me though.
How about another 10 years down the road?? How’s all this holding up.

Matt
Old 20th December 2018
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Years ago, when deciding on a new mic, I tried both the E47 and the L47. The result was that I decided to buy a pair of the Soundelux mics. Today, I still own and love them.
Old 20th December 2018
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I've found my E47s very useful. At some point I am going to upgrade them to David's new 501 spec though. If I recall David does the modification for a very reasonable fee. And while a stock E47 is great, I've heard even more glowing reviews from users I trust that the 501 is fantastic.

Last edited by Mike O; 29th December 2018 at 07:15 PM..
Old 29th December 2018 | Show parent
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicrevolution ➑️
How about another 10 years down the road?? How’s all this holding up.

Matt
wow...10 years flew by fast!
I still have the Soundelux and still use it. I no longer have the Control 24 but I picked up a Neve preamp and a Forssell Fet Code pre amp about 4 years ago when the local Symphony hall was redoing their audio room and sold off a bunch of gear. The E47 really shines through either of those amps. It's still my favorite of the 47 clones that I have.
I have noticed that they're holding their value quite well.
πŸ“ Reply