A Designs MP2 Tube Mic Pre - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
A Designs MP2 Tube Mic Pre
Old 1st January 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
A Designs MP2 Tube Mic Pre

Howdy ppl... and a happy new yr for my first post of 2003

I recently saw this puppy when i visited a local importer to chat and talk **** as i so much LOVE to do...

Any opionions?

E-Cue i seen you like them can you pls give us a run down on what makes them so good for you?

Cheers
Wiggy
Old 2nd January 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Re: A Designs MP2 Tube Mic Pre

Quote:
Originally posted by Wiggy Neve Slut
E-Cue i seen you like them can you pls give us a run down on what makes them so good for you?

Cheers
Wiggy
Why yes sir I can... My big gripe with most tube gear is that a lot of it sounds good, but is noisey. I really dig setting levels were a vocalist can overdrive tube chains for a nice distortion when they whale out loud notes.

The A designs unit (the MP-1 is mono, the MP-2 is stereo, other than that, they are both the same) are the cleanest sounding tube pre's I've used. The unit has output switches of 600 or 10k ohms. It's a very simple unit that I notice has made some of my mics, especially the older ones, sound better, and more detailed.

The Royers into the MP-2 chain is one of the best I've heard in a long time. As an added bonus, you can DI into the unit as well. It sounds good on direct on guitar, but not supergreat. Bass is bitchin' camero. At the time, I A/B'ed it with a countrymen, a 737, and a U5. It took the cake in a blind test.

Cons: No Hi Z input on the front, only on the back. Also, no input pad.
Old 2nd January 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Thanx E-Cue...

Im gona be doing some stuff next week and am planning a local mic-pre shoot out and will add it to the list of contenders that we are going to audition.

I will callt he distributor and get a sniff on it next week...

Thanx Again
Wiggy
Old 2nd January 2003
Gear Guru

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Re: Re: A Designs MP2 Tube Mic Pre

Quote:
Originally posted by e-cue
Why yes sir I can... My big gripe with most tube gear is that a lot of it sounds good, but is noisey. I really dig setting levels were a vocalist can overdrive tube chains for a nice distortion when they whale out loud notes.

The A designs unit (the MP-1 is mono, the MP-2 is stereo, other than that, they are both the same) are the cleanest sounding tube pre's I've used. The unit has output switches of 600 or 10k ohms. It's a very simple unit that I notice has made some of my mics, especially the older ones, sound better, and more detailed.

The Royers into the MP-2 chain is one of the best I've heard in a long time. As an added bonus, you can DI into the unit as well. It sounds good on direct on guitar, but not supergreat. Bass is bitchin' camero. At the time, I A/B'ed it with a countrymen, a 737, and a U5. It took the cake in a blind test.

Cons: No Hi Z input on the front, only on the back. Also, no input pad.
Hey E,

Have you ever used a Vac Rac pre? How doe it compare? Similar different?

Thanks.

And Wigs long time to no hear, good to see ya'.
Old 5th January 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
My time of the vac rac pre is very limited, so I couldn't really give an honest comparison. Sorry.
Old 7th January 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
There's a review of the unit in the Jan 2003 issue of Pro Audio Review. Aparently, there's going to be a MP-2R with more gain which might be cool for ribbon mics, although I've never needed more gain with the ribbons I got.
πŸ“ Reply