Quantcast
Top 5 Purchases this coming year... - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Top 5 Purchases this coming year...
Old 30th December 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Guys you have to stop posting about QE, especialy the pictures, I'm having a hard on

malice
Old 30th December 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by malice
Guys you have to stop posting about QE, especialy the pictures, I'm having a hard on
malice
it's probably your first one ever!
Old 30th December 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Knox
it's probably your first one ever!
not at all, I've seen QEs before ...

malice
Old 30th December 2002
Gear Guru

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Brad Blackwood
- B&W Nautilus 802 monitors
- Aragon Palladium amps
- Crane Song Ibis EQ
- Sadie Series 5 system
- Lavry monitor DAC
Hey Brad,

Is Dave Collins coming to Ardent?heh

Just kidding, looks like his setup over at Precision.

By the way if you go with the 802's you will definitely need a sub.

Are you not digging the Questeds? The 802's are a total about face(even though a good one). They are not neutral speakers, somewhere a cross between a studio powered midfield and a audiophile speaker(even though audiophiles despise them).

If you are going in that direction, than maybe you should checkout the Nautilus 800's. I know its way more money, but to my ears they are the finest listening speakers ever(my partner is both a mastering engineer and an audiophile dealer, so I've had a chance to listen to everything,Duns,Duntech,Sonus Faber,Ariel,Swans,Egglestons). For just pure listening of modern music(which is what you master a lot of right?) it doesn't get more critical or enjoyable. It has both the sizzly highs of the 802's, the weight of the 801's and best of all the depth(in the midrange). It isn't cheap(i think they retail around $16,000-$20,000) but its the audiophile world, so its easy to get a great deal(up to 40%-50% off sometimes).

The other speaker i could reccomend in the other direction(extreme other) is the Gradient Response SR1(probably the most neutral speaker in the world). It has no cabinet(to minimize the interaction of standing waves), it adds no coloration of its own and its not too expensive($4200) its a floor standing model. Also you can adjust the sub(built right in) if you are having problems with bass waves and phase. I think its a great compliment to the 802(or alternative).
Old 30th December 2002
Craneslut

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by thethrillfactor
Is Dave Collins coming to Ardent?
No, though I tried to get him over here. He's a great guy and a good friend, and we share taste in gear.

Quote:
Just kidding, looks like his setup over at Precision.
Well, he was never at Precision, but I can't bring myself to utter the name of his 'previous employer' (a member of the mastering mafia).

Quote:
By the way if you go with the 802's you will definitely need a sub.
Yep, prolly either Velodyne or REL.

Quote:
Are you not digging the Questeds? The 802's are a total about face(even though a good one).
I like the Questeds fine, and I recommend them heartily, but I'm building another suite and am looking to push the envelope a bit, so to speak...

Quote:
If you are going in that direction, than maybe you should checkout the Nautilus 800's.
Money isn't that big of anissue for the monitors - the ones I chose the N802's over were over $20k/pair. I listened to the 800's as well as the 801's and honestly preferred the N802/sub combo better than the larger brothers. Diff strokes I guess.

Which room does your partner run?
Old 30th December 2002
Gear Guru

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Brad Blackwood
No, though I tried to get him over here. He's a great guy and a good friend, and we share taste in gear.

Well, he was never at Precision, but I can't bring myself to utter the name of his 'previous employer' (a member of the mastering mafia).

Yep, prolly either Velodyne or REL.

I like the Questeds fine, and I recommend them heartily, but I'm building another suite and am looking to push the envelope a bit, so to speak...

Money isn't that big of anissue for the monitors - the ones I chose the N802's over were over $20k/pair. I listened to the 800's as well as the 801's and honestly preferred the N802/sub combo better than the larger brothers. Diff strokes I guess.

Which room does your partner run?

Hi Brad,

Sorry mistake on Precision. Meant M*******N Mastering.heh

My partner is still setting up his place.

802 with subs over the 800's huh? Wow, I guess Diff strokes is right. I guess to me the 802's were cool just too small sounding(and no bass). They make everything sound too good(a problem i would think in mastering). For the 801's to work you need a bigger room(don't know how the Abbey Road guys use them for surround).

Hope next year brings you all of your wishes.
Old 30th December 2002
Craneslut

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by thethrillfactor
Hi Brad,

Sorry mistake on Precision. Meant M*******N Mastering.
NP. he-he

Quote:
My partner is still setting up his place.
Lemme know when he gets it up and running.

Quote:
802 with subs over the 800's huh? Wow, I guess Diff strokes is right. I guess to me the 802's were cool just too small sounding(and no bass). They make everything sound too good(a problem i would think in mastering).
Actually yes. I was turned on to the conecpt by the B&W guys initially, as the redesigned N802's share the same efficiency as the 801's and 800's while extending to 39Hz (while the 801's and 800's response in 37 hz - all +/- 2db). With the subs, the N802's were more effortless and has deeper response than the bigger brothers...

Realistically, they'll be excellent and have a proven track record as mastering monitors. I'll just have to spend a few weeks learning them with the room...

Quote:
Hope next year brings you all of your wishes.
It's already started bringing me stuff as we speak!

Same to you, of course.
Old 4th January 2003
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
1. iFet7
2. Mp-2nv
3. (2)R-121
4. Mytek converters
5. New Black rackmounted CPU
Old 4th January 2003
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
1) Neumann M149
2) Royer 122
3) API 3124+
4) Urei 1176
5) SSL Stereo Compressor

Forestville Sydney Australia
Email: [email protected]
Internet: http://www.gtamusic.com
Old 4th January 2003
Founder

Totally rockin list there old cobber!

Old 4th January 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
1- GML 8302
2- FATSO
3- Kurzweil KSP-8
4- Lawson L47mp
5- Learn more about building my own gear.

My first project will be a 2 channel API cloan, yippiee!!
Old 7th January 2003
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
EL Fatso Jr
Manley Massivo
Phoenix Audio DRS-2
1GHzPowerbook G4 with DVD superdrive
A 2nd Crane song Trakker

heh heh heh heh heh heh heh heh

James Cullen

Seabrite studios
Old 7th January 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
top 5

1. pair of small D omnis. I've been happy enough with my cardiod Km184s that I'm considering the 183s for my omni pair; and the price is now nearly $200 less for a pair of 180 series mics than it was a couple of years ago. I haven;t shopped around enough yet to know if I can get into a pair of DPA or Schoeps for anywhere near as little cash as the little Neumans.

2. a pair of API mic preamps. They need to fit into my 500 series lunchbox, so they could be 512b or 512c, or the Brent Averill 312, or ???

3. one or two more capsules for my BLUE Bottle, probably the sphere omni (B4) and the figure 8 (B2).

4. If I can get a really good deal, one of the HB830 Burn-it PLUS
CD recorders. I share my studio with some Pro Tools guys and I've gotten really tired of having to spend 5 minutes rebooting the MAC everytime it locks up just because I'm trying to play a CD. My $129 Sony home CD player hasn't crashed, skipped or locked up once in the nearly 10 years I've had it. But the $2.5k MAC needs to be rebooted at least once or twice each time I use it to play CDs; burning CDs is a whole 'nother nightmare. The HHB will do anything the MAC burner can, but with the one button simplicity of my little Sony.

5. some kind of 4x2 line mixer for location use. Finding a high quality unit without mic preamps and only 4 (maybe 6, but NO more than 8) inputs hasn't been easy (but Forrsell has a unit due soon and Hardy has hinted at some type of mixer.......)

steve
[email protected]
Old 7th January 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Cranesong IBIS (in transit I believe...yay!!!!) and Manley SLAM (June/July) are definites for this year. Looking at a Benchmark DAC1 just for another flavor in the rack seeing as it's so cheap for a pretty good converter and IF 2003 shapes up to be as good as 2002 possibly a Sintefex.

Gotta admit I feel a little nervy when spending big bucks on high end digital. It loses value so quickly and is virtually superseded once you've opened the box let alone plug it in. One of the reasons I didn't get a Weiss eq. Plus the fact you can't get the Phase Linear AND the dynamics chip to work simultaneously.

That's it really.

Cheers,

Tony Mantz.
Old 7th January 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
The recording/tracking arm of the business just got a new SSL K-Series and built a new room, so apart from some new computers, drives, and other accessories I don't expect too much extra investment. Maybe some extra eqs and comps.

The new desk is going to keep us very busy.

Cheers,

Tony Mantz.
Old 7th January 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
So far, I bought 2 Vintech X73's, digi hd1 with 192 i/o, Fatso, a gig of ram and some smelly sound board. Next is a Studio Projects C3...just to see if it lives up to the hype. Then probably either the Lawson L47 or Soundelux E47 unless the C3 just does it for me. By the way, I've never heard Neve pre's, but I do absolutely love the X73's.
Wooooohooooooo I'm broke!!!!
Steve
Old 7th January 2003
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Already on the way:
Seimans EQ 2x
U87

Wife approved funds:
HEDD
RME MULTIFACE
Ampex 350 1/2" 2 track
U47 FET (!)

Slowly working on:
Manly Tube Mixer
Telefunken V76

To build:
LA2A
RCA Tube Pre

I'm also reserving some cash to migrate away from Sonic Foundry software (using Vegas and SoundForge) as it looks like they wont be around much longer. Any recommendations on what to migrate to?
Old 7th January 2003
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by bopmachine

Wife approved funds:
HEDD
RME MULTIFACE
Ampex 350 1/2" 2 track
U47 FET (!)
I like that, LOL.
I mentioned last night that I couldn't decide between two consoles so was thinking about buying both. I got it in the neck, and that was only from a girlfriend.
Old 9th January 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
On the prowl for:
G4 book with superdrive and/or
Dual 1gig with superdrive
Interface (looking like either Metric Halo or MOTU)
Vintech 1272

Ordered a while ago and it's finally on it's way:
DB8000s w/adat option.

Lusting after:

So many toys...

Already got:
Metzlers, front and rear. Might need to replace the battery. Spring road trip on the agenda.
Old 12th January 2003
Nik
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Sintefex FX2000

www.sintefex.com

Nik
Old 12th January 2003
VIP

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Nik
Sintefex FX2000

www.sintefex.com

Nik
Nik,

any idea about prices for the Syntefex stuff?
Old 12th January 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
For a multichannel system you won't get much change from $5.000 USD. Jay Frigoletto is the dealer in LA. Guys like Dave Collins (formerly of Marcussen Mastering), swear by them as well as Noah Mintz at Lacquer Channel in Toronto. Personally I haven't heard one, but I'm looking at it. Other things are of a higher priority for the immediate future.

Bob Katz currently has one for evaluation and I'll be interested in his feedback.

Concept is certainly interesting. From what Dave Collins says there is a bit of a learning curve and you have to get used to working it in a certain way.

Certainly seems to offer some bang for the buck with the ability to get other sampled boxes to add to the library. The owners of the company apparently are very open to ideas. It doesn't do M/S processing but I believe that will eventually be available. I wonder if you could get a sample of the Weiss eq with the PL and dynamics chip??

Though I've asked no-one has been able to tell me how the Sintefex actually compares to the box it's meant to behave like.

Cheers,

Tony Mantz.
Old 12th January 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Re: top 5

Quote:
Originally posted by hollywood_steve
[
4. If I can get a really good deal, one of the HB830 Burn-it PLUS
CD recorders. I share my studio with some Pro Tools guys and I've gotten really tired of having to spend 5 minutes rebooting the MAC everytime it locks up just because I'm trying to play a CD. My $129 Sony home CD player hasn't crashed, skipped or locked up once in the nearly 10 years I've had it. But the $2.5k MAC needs to be rebooted at least once or twice each time I use it to play CDs; burning CDs is a whole 'nother nightmare. The HHB will do anything the MAC burner can, but with the one button simplicity of my little Sony.
steve
[email protected] [/B]
Steve, which Mac do you have? I've been using Macs for HD recording and my main mixdown/cd burner rig since'96 and its been very solid, is this a yikes rig with a shoehorned cd burner?
The yikes rig was the only Mac that I've had that was funky about cd burning/playing. maybe an extension issue?
Take care,daniel
Old 12th January 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
1. Disability insurance, in the event I get knocked off my feet for a few months....

2. "Better" video camera record/capture system.

3. Three of those True Systems Precision 8 pre's...

4. A Nissan 350Z, or it's big sister, the Infiniti

5. Advertising space in one or more of the Pro Audio mags
Old 12th January 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
1) QTC-1s are already here.

2) SLAM! will be here Thursday.

3) Benchmark DAC-1 arrived yesterday

4) SF12 soon I hope

5) HEDD as soon as possible
Old 12th January 2003
Old 12th January 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
If API would be a little more clear about exactly how the new 8200 is configured, I think that they might have a hit on their hands. An 8x2 unit with the API brand for way under $2k could be huge, but only if we get some clear info on whether it can be used (at all) without the very expensive 7800 master module.

There are no master section controls at all on the 8200, but if the stereo mix can be easily broken out of that multi-pin connector, we could use the input controls on our recorder as the master fader. But I haven't heard of anyone getting a response from API on this type of question nor do they post any photos of the rear panel of the device.

This could be just what many of us have been asking for, the mixer section of the 3124M without the mic preamps. But its a non-starter if we need to shell out another $3k for the 7800, just to make the 8200 work....

steve
[email protected]
Old 12th January 2003
Han
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
More Neumann's

2" 16tr Studer

Ampex ATR

At least 8 RNC's

Jaguar XK8

That will be enough

grggt
Old 12th January 2003
Nik
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Michael,

I will let you know as soon as I get a trade reply from the company.

Cheers,

Nik
Old 12th January 2003
jon
Capitol Studios Paris

🎧 15 years
Tony,

Congratulations and good luck with the new K series! I'm sure it will propel you guys forward pretty well.
πŸ“ Reply