The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Tips On Using the Waves SSL Compressor
Old 17th June 2008
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Tips On Using the Waves SSL Compressor

I remember somebody posting up here some time back that to really get this thing to happen you had to treat it a bit differently than other 2 buss comps.

Is there anyone with any suggestions on good starting places for a typical pop mix (not R&B, more guitars and vocals type pop) for settings on this plug in?

Sometimes it sounds OK, but more often than not I find myself removing it because A-B ing it on and then off always ends up showing me that with it OFF everything sounds bigger and clearer...

TH
Old 17th June 2008
Baz
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Try it on vocals when you need to really squash them. I haven't used a plugin that allows me to squash something as hard as this without artifacts.

It can be hit and miss on the 2buss, but overall, I've found it to be very useful.
Old 17th June 2008 | Show parent

🎧 10 years
I find the CLA preset to be handy, but I usually back it down so that i'm compressing only 3 db
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundsundergroun ➡️
I find the CLA preset to be handy, but I usually back it down so that i'm compressing only 3 db
Same here. At first I was more heavy handed with it, but am finding that just a little needle bounce works best for me.
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Treshold= start very high(to the right at nearly full, or full depending
hotness of your mix)
Attack= 3 or 10 ms as a starting point is good, unless you really want
to flatten the attacks more, or obtain higher level
with sacrifice of some punch
Release= 300ms as starting point, with 100ms pumps more, with auto
can't really describe what it does, but sometimes it works
really well
Ratio= 4:1 starting point

That's how I approach it's use on the bus most of the time.

On drum copy of a drum-mult/ drumoverheads, try this=

Threshold= way lower, at 12:00 starting point
Attack= .01, or .03
Release= 100ms or auto
Ratio= 10:1
Will smash your drums to shreds, and bring out the room/ring of snare

If used on mix with harder electronic beats, it might grab too much
& narrow the sound, then you could sidechain the lows out to
keep the heaviness of the beats.

Haven't used it on much else, wonder if anybody uses it on other sources,

Have fun with it, despite all hardware vs software differences/discussions/ranting/pissing contests, it is a very capable bus compressor.

Best

Saxophonick
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
one thing that works is parallel comping (one track or set of tracks with, and a duplicate without), specially with plugs that don't retain some of the clarity that their harware counterparts might. you get the air and clarity of the original while adding 'girth' to taste with the plug.

🎧 15 years
Haven´t used the plug in....but on our 4000 I will go somthing around (for 2-buss):

Ratio: 2 (some rare times 4)
attack: 3, 10 or 30 (mostly 10 or 30)
Relase: Auto (somtimes other..)
Threshold: adjust to ca. 3 dB of compression
Make up: NEVER....does not sound right....

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy Grail ➡️
Haven´t used the plug in....but on our 4000 I will go somthing around (for 2-buss):

I second that, I always love 10 attack and auto release for almost any type of mix. 2 to 1 ratio. Don't know what you mean by "never" make-up. You have to use some make-up gain to make up the gain you lost by comping, right? I, and a lot of people I know, use a little MORE make-up so that the mix gets a db or two louder with the compressor in.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy Grail ➡️

+1

Although sometimes I only compress up to 2db by what the meter is telling me.

And, although I originally had experience with the LogicFX 384 hardware unit, I now just use the Waves version ITB. While the make-up gain on the hardware was a bit awkward sounding as many people mention, I don't really hear it on the plugin. Maybe Waves didn't model that aspect of the hardware.
Old 18th June 2008 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Really useful info guys, thanks so much for taking the time to post your fave settings...

thanks so much!

Tom
Old 18th June 2008 | Show parent

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
like all software compressors, don't try to spank it n crank it.

get the GR meter hopping about nice and quick, but no higher than 4-6dB, or 8-10dB if you really wanna hear it kick.

slow attack, auto or fast release.

ratio, well, it depends. getting the threshold/attack/release right is more critical to getting it right, the appropriate ratio will be more obvious.

i always keep "analog" turned off... it just makes it sound veiled/smaller/worse to my ears... don't expect the "analog sound" of the real thing, but you can get a good dose of the compression behaviour/characteristic out of it... the "feel" as opposed to the "sound"... or the "sound" as opposed to the "tone"

ya dig?
Old 29th October 2008 | Show parent

🎧 10 years
Mix Newbie

Hey I just bought the SSL 4000 plugins and I use logic I have been producing for a while but not yet that great at mixing my own stuff I normally have it mixed elsewhere. I would like to get a better understanding if possible can anyone maybe paste in some screen shots of the settings for us newbies that are just learning how to mix etc?
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…