Quantcast
Cranesong HEDD ? Jules and others - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Cranesong HEDD ? Jules and others
Old 28th December 2002
no ssl yet πŸŽ™οΈ
Cranesong HEDD ? Jules and others

Jules I will inform you when I actually get my unit but I have a real quick point I have to be sure on. With the head it is possible to split the A/d and D/A right???

I want to use it as a front end and monitor for protools

But I'm also thinking of routing some of my tracks via Adatxt converters from my adat bridge to my 24x8 8bus analogue

It is my understanding that I can capture the mix via the Cranesong from the Mackie's 2bus into protools (A/D) while continuing to monitor protools and my main out via the Cranesong (D/A)

Does this make sense???
Old 28th December 2002
Craneslut

🎧 15 years
Yep - the ADC and DAC are asyncronous - they can run at independant sampling rates.

I do this all the time.
Old 28th December 2002
Founder

Brad I knew they are independant, (very cool - allows tracking into a DAW AND DAW stereo 'mix output' monitoring) but I didnt know they could be different sample rates!

Old 28th December 2002
Craneslut

🎧 15 years
Yep - I like the DAC sooooo much I often use it as playback for hi-res files (like 24/96 masterlinque files) while using the ADC to capture the processed (analog) data at 44.1...

Amazing box.
Old 28th December 2002
Gear Guru

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Brad Blackwood
Yep - I like the DAC sooooo much I often use it as playback for hi-res files (like 24/96 masterlinque files) while using the ADC to capture the processed (analog) data at 44.1...

Amazing box.
Hi Brad,

If you are using the the DAC for playback(monitoring), what do you use as the DAC converter for the actual mastering?

Also have you noticed a slight delay when using the HEDD in this matter(A/D and D/A at the same time). I hooked up a scope too it to test it out and there is a slight phase shift(also when using the processing) in it.

Also when you use it this way, you can't monitor what the processing(Pentode,Triode,Tape) is doing(when its A/D) mode. You can only monitor what's going in to the unit(Hedd processing is after).

I still love mine, but I have started to look for a better D/A for the actual conversion for analog processing and was curious what you were using.
Old 28th December 2002
Gear Guru

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by LiquidStrat
That was true when I had mine. Called Dave and he had to check on it. This was a few years ago when they first hit the streets the 16bit and same upgraded to 24bit. He reported that there is a processing delay - which was what was throwing off my phase checker. Not sure about todays units.

Well I know there is a shift in mine(I have one of the earlier 192's). I did call Dave last week so hopefully soon he can check mines out.
Old 28th December 2002
Gear Guru

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by LiquidStrat
Thrill,
I should clarify, when Dave "checked" on it he just kept me on the phone and asked someone in the shop. I didn't have to send in the unit or anything. Dave just wanted to get the right answer, so he double checked while I was on the phone. The unit performed flawlessly, and for me I never gave it another thought.
The processing delay was "fooling" my phase checker (Galaxy Audio Cricket).
Gotham,

My Hedd unit needs a looksee(maybe the power supply). Also I am getting RFI and the word clock is dropping in/out some time. Dave just reccommended I send it in.

The processing delay is a pain if use the Hedd unit as insert on your master fader in PT. When you sum the processing with the original, you will have a slight phase shift in the main signal.
Old 29th December 2002
Craneslut

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by thethrillfactor
If you are using the the DAC for playback(monitoring), what do you use as the DAC converter for the actual mastering?
Sorry, that's what I meant - playback of hi-res masters. I have several converters I use for monitoring the final output, though I tend to favor an old Theta Digital unit.

Quote:
Also when you use it this way, you can't monitor what the processing(Pentode,Triode,Tape) is doing(when its A/D) mode. You can only monitor what's going in to the unit(Hedd processing is after).
The way everything is wired in my room allows me to listen to the masters straight off the DAC as I have the HEDD-processing applied to the ADC.

Latency isn't an issue in my world.
Old 29th December 2002
Gear Guru

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Sorry, that's what I meant - playback of hi-res masters. I have several converters I use for monitoring the final output, though I tend to favor an old Theta Digital unit.

The way everything is wired in my room allows me to listen to the masters straight off the DAC as I have the HEDD-processing applied to the ADC.

Latency isn't an issue in my world.
Hi Brad,

This is my question, how do you have it setup to be able to monitor the processing on the A/D? If the DAC is before?

I think you use the Sadie system right? Are you splitting out the signal from the Sadie DAC to the speakers? The only way i can see this is possible is to have another converter after the A/D(off the computer I guess). Even if you were to split the signal in the analog before it hits the A/D you still can't hear the Hedd processing.

Unless you apply it first in the chain?
Old 29th December 2002
Founder

Masterlink 96k master
Hedd 96k A/D

Analog out - to analog outboard

Resampled via Hedd at 44.1 24 bit (tape and valve simulations added to taste)

AES Waves L2 process (applied digitally)

Final fades, compilation & dither to 16 bit in mastering DAW

Hows that as a guess for one way you work Brad?

(I am sure there are several set ups & signal paths depending on the material)

Old 29th December 2002
Craneslut

🎧 15 years
Quote:
This is my question, how do you have it setup to be able to monitor the processing on the A/D? If the DAC is before?
I have several DACS. Here's my typical chain:

Source > Hedd DAC > analog procesing > Hedd ADC (with process) > L2 > Sadie > Theta DAC.

That's a simple processing chain and occasionally there are additional pieces in there, but this way I can tap off the Hedd DAC and off the Theta and have pre and post-processing signal available for checking at all times...

Clear as mud?
Old 29th December 2002
Gear Guru

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
I have several DACS. Here's my typical chain:

Source > Hedd DAC > analog procesing > Hedd ADC (with process) > L2 > Sadie > Theta DAC.

That's a simple processing chain and occasionally there are additional pieces in there, but this way I can tap off the Hedd DAC and off the Theta and have pre and post-processing signal available for checking at all times...

Clear as mud?

Thanks Brad,

This is what I thought.

In your opinion for a DAC before processing, is the Hedd not too colored? It has a color of its own(compared to other audiophile units). Is this not adding to the signal before you are working on it? I know the color might be prefered, but I was just wondering?

And how are you clocking the HEDD? If you are using both A/D and D/A(same time with different rates) than the D/A will clock to what ever it sees coming in(AES).
Old 29th December 2002
Craneslut

🎧 15 years
Quote:
In your opinion for a DAC before processing, is the Hedd not too colored?
Typically, no. It has a very euphonic character that really sounds good on most everything. Most everything. That's why I have several different DACs on hand.

Quote:
And how are you clocking the HEDD?
DAC slaves to AES feed. I don't have enough dig gear to worry about wordclock issues...
πŸ“ Reply