oVERHEADS,Do you compress? What pres? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
oVERHEADS,Do you compress? What pres?
Old 27th December 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
oVERHEADS,Do you compress? What pres?

Got some great bands coming up so doing some research:
What pres are you using for overheads? Do you comp on the way in or at mix? OK what mics tooyuktyy
Daniel
Old 27th December 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
km-254's
Helios pres
Alan Smart C1
I compress to tape. just enough to make the snare 'SMACK'.
it also depends on the song/arrangement.
I do alot of pre-pro before recording so I pretty much deal with sonic colors/envelopes at tracking time...less work later!
Old 27th December 2002
Founder

Royer SF12 stereo ribbon

+

Chiswick Reach valve 'Early Bird" mic pre's

+

No EQ

+

SSL compressor (mostly unused these days) depending on the room...

Note: For a 3 mic "Who" / Glyn Johns 1960's technique - I use Helios pre's on the 2 overheads..
Old 27th December 2002
s2n
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
AT4050
API 312
Distressors
Old 27th December 2002
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
km84s matched..manley pre's no compression..rolled off at 80hz
Old 27th December 2002
Gear Guru

7 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Soundelux E47's through a Phoenix Audio DRS-2 sound quite nice. Compression, yes, usually in post...sometimes lightly in tracking by necessity. If I had my way a pair of Trakker's, but a pair of Distressors in 2:1 or 3:1 sound really great also.
Old 28th December 2002
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Gefell M582 tube condenser with omni capsule or B&K 4006 if I am in a small / medium room, M582 with cardiod capsule in a bigger room.
If I am going for a brighter sound a pair of U87 or 414 TL-II usually works great. If I am going for a darker sound, the Beyer M160 ribbon is my Nr.1 choice.
Old 28th December 2002
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
Royer 122's...D.W. Fearm pre

Damascus Studios
Old 28th December 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Royer 122's -> A Design's MP-2... No compression

Sometimes:
Royer 122's -> Sytek with Brown Burrs -> SSL Comp, or Distressors
Old 28th December 2002
jon
Capitol Studios Paris

🎧 15 years
My usual overhead deal:

A spaced pair of AKG 451 CK1s 100-150 cm from snare, one towards snare/hi rack tom, other towards lowest floor tom --> Neve pres next to drumkit, no EQ --> SSL desk comps (low threshold, low ratio, fast release, slow attack) or no comp --> GP9 or Emtec 900 tape at 30 ips +8/185, not hitting tape hard, no NR.

Jon
Old 28th December 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Thanks guys, thats quite a shopping list! The Royers are pretty popular, I would rather have the sf2 for ease of use, but the 122's, aren't they being used on electric guitars too?
I like the dual use deal whenever possible

Jules can you buy the helios stuff racked?

I am a little despondent as I don't have any of the stuff you guys mentioned, just km 184's,oktava 012's into symetrix or a vintech 1272 but thanks for the list!
Daniel
Old 28th December 2002
Gear Guru

7 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by FOURTHTUNZ
The Royers are pretty popular, I would rather have the sf-12 for ease of use, but the 122's, aren't they being used on electric guitars too?
I like the dual use deal whenever possible
The 121/122 gets better usage on electrics IMO compared to the thinner ribbon SF-12 variety...aside from the fact that they are hard to blow up, the frequency response on the 121/122 series seems more suited to guitars also. The 121/122 seems to have less in the low-mids and a bit of a rise in the lows and high mids. The SF-1/SF-12 sounds pretty close to ruler flat with a rolloff in the extreme high frequencies (which seems to be pretty common for any ribbon). Dual 121's or 122's work great on overheads, they just have more peaks and valleys in the response compared to the SF-1/SF-12 which can actually be beneficial to my ears depending on the type of music being produced.
Old 28th December 2002
Founder

Helios ARE being re-made try a web search or Funky Junk UK (Mark Thompson)

Old 28th December 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
At the moment.
Beyer M160's into Buzz or UA-2610
Although just brought an API 3124 to replace the UA.

I have a Royer SF12 coming since last week in November .... Should of known better then to buy something out of stock in OZ. They said 10 days but I should of known that meant we will wait for another order before shipping to save costs. I do not think they actually carry any royers in stock, so why distribute them. Sorry to bitch should of just got them from Fletcher or Nathan... Would of been here in a week...
There closed now until the 6th if it aint there, then I will go elsewhere...
Old 30th December 2002
Nik
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
2 X U67 XY.

Amek 9098 pre.

No compression.

Great room.

Nik
Old 30th December 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Mics - Royer SF-12 or Earthworks QTC-1s
Preamps - Crane Song Flamingo (or Spider) or Earthworks 1024
Compressors - Crane Song Trakkers or Peavey VCL-2

I either use very light compression (3-4db) or none. I have a very nice sounding room, it helps.

Scott
Old 31st December 2002
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
coles
1073s
(maybe) crane song stc
aaah
Old 31st December 2002
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
I quite like the SF-12 with a pair of Telefunken V76m's and a little high EQ boost with an API 560.

Also good is an AKG C-24 with pair of Neve 1066...

I almost never compress any drum to tape except the "front of kit" mic I usually put up...

-Moze
Old 31st December 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Nik
Great room.
Amen!!

That, and a great drummer does more for the overhead sound than any gear combination available.

In terms of gear, however, I've been on a roll of cutting drums without compression on the overheads. Lately, I like the overheads as the beacon of clarity in the drum sound. I'll mess with kick, snare and odd room mics blended into a clean picture of the kit from the overheads. To that end, I'm loving GML preamps and Sennheiser MKH40s or Sony C800s.

-dave
Old 2nd January 2003
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
KM-54's/KM-84's/AT 4050
Discrete Neve, 1073's ect, no eq
UREI 1178/Neve 32264 slight to moderate compression depending on the style
Old 2nd January 2003
One with big hooves

🎧 15 years
Mics - TLM 103's, AT4031's
Pre - Usually Dakings, sometimes the VMP-2 or Telefunken V672

No compression but usually a bit of EQ, somewhere between 10-15khz adding about 3 to 6dB. Sometimes I go a bit lower and boost a bit around 5-8khz. The only time I compress overheads is when the snare or something else is way too loud in relation to everything else and I want to pull that one thing back a bit. I usually have enough compression on the 2-buss and room mics.
Old 3rd January 2003
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Klaus Heyne KM-84's (XY) into Neve 1084's to Drawmer 1969, very light compression.
Old 21st February 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
more overhead discussion

Ok, more overhead questions: Just wondering about spaced pair overhead vs xy coincident pair, I've been going more spaced pair but the last couple of recordings I've liked the xy more both on piano and overheads so I thought I would try something different.
Also as far the plane of the mics are you running more parallel to the floor maybe slightly pointing down at the kit or more say a 45 degree angle? Also anybody doing a single mic overhead?
If anyone could point me to the 3 mic technique I would appreciate it, not sure I'll use it this weekend but who knows
I'm recording 7 songs this weekend, no mixing but they want to get all of the tracking done, faster than I want to go but hey Its only rock and roll but I like it
daniel
Old 21st February 2003
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Fletcher has a variation of the 3 mic setup posted on his Mercenary site (Police Blotter, IIRC). Recorderman has posted it in several places, as well. 'Google' search it...

Friendly Caution: Better put some close mics up as well, (unless you like taking big risks with paying clients), even if just for fx sends...

FWIW, Crane Song Spider is making us very, very happy on OHs (Hell, on everything, for that matter). First time cymbals have sounded 'right' since digital.
Old 21st February 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by blackcatdigi
Fletcher has a variation of the 3 mic setup posted on his Mercenary site (Police Blotter, IIRC). Recorderman has posted it in several places, as well. 'Google' search it...

Friendly Caution: Better put some close mics up as well, (unless you like taking big risks with paying clients), even if just for fx sends...

FWIW, Crane Song Spider is making us very, very happy on OHs (Hell, on everything, for that matter). First time cymbals have sounded 'right' since digital.
Thanks for info dude! Yeah I'll have mics on the kit, just been thinking about different OH techniques.
I really wish you hadn't said that about the cranesong
I've already spent too much this year, I almost got one of those last year, wish I had
daniel
Old 21st February 2003
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
i might not call these mics "high end," but here's what i've been using for a kick-ass country / honky tonk set of tunes:

neu 147 directly above the kick drum pedal, aimed a little towards the snare, about 3' above the top of the kick's rim. into a summit tpa-200

57 in typical under-the-high-hat position, no more than an inch or so off the head, aimed at the center of the head. also into the tpa-200, getting a little grit from the input tube.

421 on the kick drum, just inside the hole on the head, into a 737.

compressing the 147 a little, and using the snare and kick mic only when the producer is asking for more "punch."

won't work for everything, but its working for me! note that the toms are not big modern and boomy in this setup...

-a-
Old 21st February 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
LOMO 19a19s into Neve 1073s -No compression (usually)
Old 22nd February 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Your all bastards,jealousy overload. I'm using C1000's as ovr's and I've only got me C24 pre's for stereo. However I've sussed how to get a good drum sound (as good as I'm gunna get).

Next in-line is some warm/or just good pre's, Cranesong Aracno 8-pack me reckons.

Mike wise, Royers look tempting but no-one sells apart from Funky Junk here in London, and they are pricey peeps.
Old 22nd February 2003
Motown legend

🎧 15 years
I've always stuck with KM-84s or U-67s because they are dark and smooth enough that I can choose an appropriate high frequency to boost that will really compliment the rest of the tracks. Brighter overheads lock me into a particular sound even though they sound better without any eq than the Neumanns do. Neumanns also mix really nicely with SM-57s.

I'll add to the raves about the Helios input modules. I borrowed one all the time from a friend during the middle '70s. It was the best sounding solid state mike preamp I had ever heard when the closest thing to a decent portable pre. was an Ampex MX-35/10 mixer. I'm not a fan of compressing drums to tape, especially overheads. I've heard about compressing overheads forever but never got it to work for me.
Old 23rd February 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by africk
i might not call these mics "high end," but here's what i've been using for a kick-ass country / honky tonk set of tunes:

neu 147 directly above the kick drum pedal, aimed a little towards the snare, about 3' above the top of the kick's rim. into a summit tpa-200

57 in typical under-the-high-hat position, no more than an inch or so off the head, aimed at the center of the head. also into the tpa-200, getting a little grit from the input tube.

421 on the kick drum, just inside the hole on the head, into a 737.

compressing the 147 a little, and using the snare and kick mic only when the producer is asking for more "punch."

won't work for everything, but its working for me! note that the toms are not big modern and boomy in this setup...

-a-
I like this alot I'm going to try this one next week, thanks
daniel
πŸ“ Reply