Quantcast
Converter upgrade/ What should I expect to hear and to what aprox degree?? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Converter upgrade/ What should I expect to hear and to what aprox degree??
Old 27th December 2002
no ssl yet πŸŽ™οΈ
Converter upgrade/ What should I expect to hear and to what aprox degree??

As most of you know I'm moving from a TC finalizer+/adat bridge 24 combo to combine the adat bridge with a Cranesong HEDD, What should I expect to hear???

Should I expect a vast improvement? some improvement? What????

Will this improvement also effect things I have recorded previously? (Of course here we're speaking of the new clock source being the improvement)

Describe for me please

What should I expect from the transition? Will it be worth recutting songs that I have planned for an upcoming release
Old 27th December 2002
Motown legend

🎧 15 years
I 've only heard the HEDD briefly.

First, you should hear the effect of better input and output interfaces that will make anything you plug it into sound its best. The most common symptom of interface problems is a lack of low frequency dynamics and punch. This can affect both the gear driving the converter and any analog gear or monitor system being driven by the converter. Great sounding gear is easy to drive and yet will effortlessly drive gear that is hard to drive.

Second, there should be a significant reduction in high frequency grunge. This will be especially noticable when you apply digital eq. or limiting to the signal.

Third, you should hear a more detailed presentation, instruments better defined.
Old 27th December 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Using low jitter converters might make you think that your sounds are lacking in the low mids. This is the area where jitter artifacts can build up, and they cause artificial odd harmonics that only add to the problem. You will also experience better stereo imaging with properly designed converters. The HEDD is a cool box. Good luck with it!
Old 27th December 2002
Founder

You should hear phatness every time you tweak in some pentode, triode or tape simulation...

This you dont get on any other converter...

As I said, when you get it PM me your number I will call you with some tips..

Main thing is - you should be using it

as your A/D converter
As your clock
As your mix monitoring D/A converter
Finally, to phatten your overall final mix

All at the same time...

Jules
Old 27th December 2002
no ssl yet πŸŽ™οΈ
OK don't kill me on the monitor issue when I tell you what I have

I use mainly NS-10's (for mixing
Mackies (for production and as a second reference)

And I'm gonna pick up a used pair of minimus 7 Realistics (for real world Reference)

Also trying to find a boombox with aux in's
Also my mac speaker (don't laugh there's a certain way that things either hit or don't hit this speaker. It doesn't really tell wHAT is wrong but it let's me know if something is wrong
Old 27th December 2002
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Jules

Main thing is - you should be using it

as your A/D converter
As your clock
As your mix monitoring D/A converter
Finally, to phatten your overall final mix

All at the same time...

Jules
Yes to all of these. The thing that I really noticed when I got mine was how the soundstage seemed to open up when I used it for monitoring (D/A).

Oh, and I use the same monitors you have (Mackie, NS10, mac speaker...)
Old 27th December 2002
no ssl yet πŸŽ™οΈ
I'm goint 24bit HEDD 192

And of course I'm going to use it for everything Jules suggests. I'm going either AES or spdif into my adat bridge.

I May hang 2 ADAT xt 20's off the adat bridge along with my finalizer for some more ins and outs for ffx. My only outboard ffx are a desper spatializer Retro(that I can replace with the plug), Roland DEP5, and Alesis Q2

Haven't decided if the ffx will be worth the trouble but the Cranesong is definately going to be my goto piece for front and back end. (I'm looking to upstage a friend who recently bought a used AD8k. I love friendly competition especially when I win:eek: )
Old 27th December 2002
no ssl yet πŸŽ™οΈ
For most of my songs I have protools sending midi clocks to my sequencer. On those I will re cut instruments. On songs where I don't have a sync source, I plan to redo my entire soundreplacer library through better converters and replace accordingly (dependent on the role of the sound in the mix.)

I lack low end definition and smoothness in the highs. If I can get this from a the Cranesong the world will be a better place for me. Also the saturation will help alot. I put off investing in the DUY (tube/tape) stuff thinking I could use the HEDD's processes and get a better result
Old 27th December 2002
Gear Guru

7 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Clarity, less harshness making your tracks easier to mix, wider/more depth, easier to hear reverb tales, more detail.

The new clock will help somewhat, but if you have the luxury to retrack I predict you will want to do so.
Old 28th December 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by NathanEldred
wider/more depth.
Yeah, and more defination in your center...

If you really want to hear the difference, hit a bass note, and let it ring out... When it get's quiet, you'll hear the stairstepping and nastiness.
πŸ“ Reply