Quantcast
Gear Decision made, thanks to all that helped may you have a blessed new year - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Gear Decision made, thanks to all that helped may you have a blessed new year
Old 25th December 2002
no ssl yet πŸŽ™οΈ
Gear Decision made, thanks to all that helped may you have a blessed new year

Yes thrill, ecue, digi and others I've finally reached a decision on my studio upgrade.

I'm going with:

DSP
used mix farm (if I can find it)
2 used DSP farms
I know it's not much DSP but I will get by. Also I'm considering mixing into a separate 001 system. That way all of my 2bus plugins can be applied there in RTAS (Haven't decided if it's worth the hassle yet). compression and EQ will mainly be done on the way into protools on individual tracks

CONVERTOR:
Cranesong HEDD 192 (though it's only two channels it will stay around if I upgrade to HD and this was my deciding factor Plus it adds SATURATIONNN!!)

Mic Pre:
Vintech 1272 (Of all the ones I tested and liked it was the cheapest, though others like the Avalon 737 had comp/EQ this was a budget decision cause every dollar was accounted for, also the eq in most channel strips was similiar to the eq's I already have. so I'll pair them with the vintech). Of course I'll be buying other pre's later)

DI
Boss DI-1 (Thanks Digi) Since the Cranesong only has 2 inputs I can only cut 2 channels at a time. The Boss will complement the DI on the Vintech well

Other tidbits:
Replacement tweeters/woofers, headphones and other studio stuff.

It's been a long indecisive road but I've finally figured how to totally upgrade my studio and it's sound for under $8G's

Thanks for your help

Now if I can just get Jules to sell me those distressors of his
Old 25th December 2002
Gear Guru

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Re: Gear Decision made, thanks to all that helped may you have a blessed new year

Quote:
Originally posted by no ssl yet
Yes thrill, ecue, digi and others I've finally reached a decision on my studio upgrade.

I'm going with:

DSP
used mix farm (if I can find it)
2 used DSP farms
I know it's not much DSP but I will get by. Also I'm considering mixing into a separate 001 system. That way all of my 2bus plugins can be applied there in RTAS (Haven't decided if it's worth the hassle yet). compression and EQ will mainly be done on the way into protools on individual tracks

CONVERTOR:
Cranesong HEDD 192 (though it's only two channels it will stay around if I upgrade to HD and this was my deciding factor Plus it adds SATURATIONNN!!)

Mic Pre:
Vintech 1272 (Of all the ones I tested and liked it was the cheapest, though others like the Avalon 737 had comp/EQ this was a budget decision cause every dollar was accounted for, also the eq in most channel strips was similiar to the eq's I already have. so I'll pair them with the vintech). Of course I'll be buying other pre's later)

DI
Boss DI-1 (Thanks Digi) Since the Cranesong only has 2 inputs I can only cut 2 channels at a time. The Boss will complement the DI on the Vintech well

Other tidbits:
Replacement tweeters/woofers, headphones and other studio stuff.

It's been a long indecisive road but I've finally figured how to totally upgrade my studio and it's sound for under $8G's

Thanks for your help

Now if I can just get Jules to sell me those distressors of his
Hey No SSL,

You are Welcome!!!

I hope it brings you mucho success!!

Let me know when you will start looking for a mixfarm(i got some connections here and they usually pop up pretty cheap. Also a mixcore sometimes).

On the DSP farm cards just make sure they are the upgraded versions if you are using any Mac from the B&W G3 and up.

Peace and Merry Xmas!!
Old 25th December 2002
no ssl yet πŸŽ™οΈ
Now for the hard part the Indi Record pressing and promo budget

I got a total of $50G's minus the 8 for studio and minus 6 (for rent, food, and other stuff I need after buying gear with most of my income)

Anyone know of some good/cheap pressing or poster places????

Guys I'll send you a copy of the record after it's mastered and pressed. (It's the least I can do)
Old 25th December 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
no ssl,

Do ya thang man!!! Here's wishing you a very productive and prosperous '03. Sounds like you're on your way to big thangz.

So you decided against the AD16? Does that mean then that your are going to being using SC for drum sounds, as opposed to the outs on the MPC. If you weren't, I just wanted to warn you that trying to do multi-passes of drum track on the MPC and trying to keep things synced in perfect time is going to be a challenge. So I hope ur going to use SC for this.
Old 25th December 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
good luck , looking forward to your name change at the end of 2003 ... SSL YET heh
Old 25th December 2002
no ssl yet πŸŽ™οΈ
Digi I don't know if I'm lucky or what but It seems my MPC2000xl locks better than most. I've tried cutting the same sound on successive passes (with 2blank bars in the sequence.) It locks 3 out of 4 times without even flanging

I'm going to stripe a 2trk scratch of all the drums before cutting individuals just to be safe though

I may try exporting the midi file into ptools as an option though. (That way the sync shouldn't be a problem)

This is the least of my problems. Selling records in this age of bootlegging is the hard part.. I sold 30k units before so If I can do that much again I'd be happy. Funny thing back then I didn't stress so much over the sound. I just sold units LOL
Old 25th December 2002
Founder

When you get the Hedd PM me with your number and I will call you with some 'usage tips'....

Old 25th December 2002
Ted
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
I have a new HEDD 192 I'm getting ready to sell if you need one.

Thanks,
Ted.
Old 26th December 2002
no ssl yet πŸŽ™οΈ
Man that's what I love about this site. Of course I'm interested in your unit. Please email me with price and contact info

[email protected]

I'm curious Ted why are you selling?????
Old 26th December 2002
no ssl yet πŸŽ™οΈ
Hopefully this used HEDD 192 will help me REALLY make my decision.

I have been looking into the Trak2 also. Man I hate being on a budget.

I guess it comes down to asking which is more valuable to me Cranesong's Tube/Tape simulation or Apogee's mic pre

Seeing that I do urban music. I'm thinking Tube/Tape saturation is the direction I'm gonna lean inyuktyy
Old 26th December 2002
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
The MPC's lock to SMPTE with ease for multi pass tracking.
Old 26th December 2002
no ssl yet πŸŽ™οΈ
NA, man were talking about midi clock here at least that's what I use with success
πŸ“ Reply