Eventide ORVILLE - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Eventide ORVILLE
Old 24th December 2002
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Eventide ORVILLE

hi,

i have sold my 480L for a ORVILLE, and all i can say: YESSSSSSS.
This is the best EFX box in this UNIVERSE, really.

wish you all the best from Cologne/germany
Rob

Old 24th December 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I agree.
the thing rocks, I don't use it for reverb, but everything else gets shoved through it.
Old 24th December 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
What are some of the presets you are using? For what apps?
Old 24th December 2002
Gear Guru

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Re: Eventide ORVILLE

Quote:
Originally posted by RobAcid
hi,

i have sold my 480L for a ORVILLE, and all i can say: YESSSSSSS.
This is the best EFX box in this UNIVERSE, really.

wish you all the best from Cologne/germany
Rob

The Orville is bananas!!!!

I own its stereo brother(DSP7000). The reverbs are excellent as well as the flanging/chorus. I can put together all of the elements I need for a background chorus in just the one box. When I want to keep it all in the box, this is what I use.

Still waiting for a remote though.
Old 24th December 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Re: Re: Eventide ORVILLE

Quote:
Originally posted by thethrillfactor
The Orville is bananas!!!!

Still waiting for a remote though.
Just hook a laptop up to it.
Old 25th December 2002
Gear Addict

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
i had used it on a mixing project and i love it. i am always a fan of eventide harmonizer series. orville is very powerful. the reverb on it is definitely a step above all the previous eventide stuff. but, i still prefer reverb from 960 or m6000. just my preference, i guess. anyway, all the chorus, flanger, delay....stuff on the orville is top class and the price of this unit surely reflects that. the only thing i don't like is the routing page...not really straight forward.
Old 25th December 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
yeah, the routing page sucks but so does PT i/o routing page I'm not sure there's an easy+intuitive way of doing it.
I use a Quantec QRS for reverb.
nothing touches it, besides the real thing. like plates or chambers.
Old 25th December 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I'm still saving up for an Orville, but in the mean time I make do with my two DSP4500's. Sort of a poormans 4x4 Orville. Enough power to do all the wild and other good stuff I need if I leave most of the reverb chores to the M5000, 300L and PCM91.
Old 25th December 2002
Gear Addict

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Mike Tholen
yeah, the routing page sucks but so does PT i/o routing page I'm not sure there's an easy+intuitive way of doing it.

heh...at least with pt, you have a big screen to look at.
Old 25th December 2002
Gear Guru

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Mike Tholen

Hey Mike,

While I love the Quantec reverbs, I don't like them as much on vocals. They are fantastic on drums and strings, but for vocals there are other things I prefer(unless it was a solo piece or something).

Come to think of it, even with all of the great things it can do, the TCM6000 would not be my choice for vocals either(to my ears they are too skinny).

By the way, do you have the software to program your QRS? I think the QRS is the greatest hits right?
Old 25th December 2002
Ted
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Owning all four I find each one of them has its own place in life. The 480L has that Lexicon sound of its own while the 6000 can be dialed in to do about anything x 3 stereo engines(analog, 4 in digital). The Orville is a great efx box and its plate reverb emulation is really great. I agree its routing is screwy but it's a great all around box. I'm in the process of getting a Quantec but in the mean time my favorite, stay out your way, reverb is the Sony 777. It is really transparent. I want to try the KSP8 also. It apparently has some great verbs for drums which are quite hard to find in the "unreal" world.

Thanks,
Ted.
Old 27th December 2002
Gear Guru

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Ted
Owning all four I find each one of them has its own place in life. The 480L has that Lexicon sound of its own while the 6000 can be dialed in to do about anything x 3 stereo engines(analog, 4 in digital). The Orville is a great efx box and its plate reverb emulation is really great. I agree its routing is screwy but it's a great all around box. I'm in the process of getting a Quantec but in the mean time my favorite, stay out your way, reverb is the Sony 777. It is really transparent. I want to try the KSP8 also. It apparently has some great verbs for drums which are quite hard to find in the "unreal" world.

Thanks,
Ted.
For vocals my all time favorites are:

1)EMT 250
2)Eventide SP2016
3)Yamaha Rev 1
4)one patch on the AMS RMX16(you know the one)
5)Quantec
6)Eventide Orville/DSP 7000
7)Lexicon 480L
8)Roland R880

For drums:

1)Yamaha Rev 1
2)Quantec
3)Sony R7
4)Yamaha SPX990
5)one patch on the AMS RMX16(you know this one too)

I haven't tried the Sony but i heard its killer!!! I love the Kurzweil KSP8, but i use it more for the effects than for reverb.
Old 28th December 2002
jon
Capitol Studios Paris

🎧 15 years
Hi all,

I agree with Ted; the 480L, M6000, DRE777 and Orville are really different flavors. I use the Orville for efx rather than verb, though the plate emulation does see use by visiting freelancers. Effects are just what it excels at. SM, it's a great box, but I would not sell the 480L to buy one.
Old 29th December 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Altiverb

I use Altiverb,

So far my first choice when I need a reverb pluggin

one of my favorites among pluggins AND hardware reverb units

greetings everybody, this is my first post.

malice
Old 30th December 2002
Gear Guru

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by slipperman
Hey TF!

Cracking up laughing at your list.
Talk about one man's poison.......
HOHOHOHO.
The BEST thing about AE IMHO.
A lot of your list has me running screaming in the opposite direction.
Some(EMT250/AMS/Quantec) I'm loving.

Others? Heck NO! Example?

R7? Holy Cow. More 'Metal than Allentown'.

Owned one for 10 years.
Almost NEVER use it.
I JUST tried to use it again on a mix I was completing last week....

What am I THINKING???? I quipped to myself as I switched to the M5000. HAHAHAHA. It's too good.

I've got a friend(whose work I LOVE) who swears by the thing. He's the only reason it's still in the rack. Uses it like a MADMAN on drums.

Best regards.

SM.

PS. Anybody tried Altiverb?

Hey SM,

Sony R7-Its all in the programming, its all in the programming!!!

M5000?
Too thin. I think all of the TC verbs are too thin(even after the tweaks).

Come to think of it most of the TC modern stuff is too thin(in my rack I have 5000,(2)Fireworx,GForce,(2)TC2290,1210,DBMAX). I had a M3000 and I kicked it to the curve a while ago.

Maybe TC in Danish means "thin"?heh

Altiverb

You know with all of the outboard junk i own, i've never tried it. Would have to buy a whole seperate G4 just to run it.
Old 30th December 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Hey SM,

Altiverb

You know with all of the outboard junk i own, i've never tried it. Would have to buy a whole seperate G4 just to run it.
hello thrillfactor :

here's some math

1 G4 (slowest would do) + one monitor (15 inches) + one fair little audio card + altiverb Soft = 2 instances (at least) with 700 meg of sampled IR (impulse response) + ability to sample your own IR = x$

x$ < Sony hardware version $ (sorry, don't remember the ref.)

and it rocks

malice
Old 31st December 2002
Gear Guru

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by malice
hello thrillfactor :

here's some math

1 G4 (slowest would do) + one monitor (15 inches) + one fair little audio card + altiverb Soft = 2 instances (at least) with 700 meg of sampled IR (impulse response) + ability to sample your own IR = x$

x$ < Sony hardware version $ (sorry, don't remember the ref.)

and it rocks

malice
Its an interesting concept.

I think the total for the Altiverb system would be...$3000?

I just saw the Yamaha SREV-1 on ebay for $2400(with remote).

The problem most people have with the Altiverb is the latency(i think its 21ms). But its worth investigating. Maybe a G4/Altiverb/and Mbox/Apogee mini me maybe?

Hmmm...interesting.

The Sony you were thinking about is the 777.
Old 31st December 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Its an interesting concept.

I think the total for the Altiverb system would be...$3000?

I just saw the Yamaha SREV-1 on ebay for $2400(with remote).

The problem most people have with the Altiverb is the latency(i think its 21ms). But its worth investigating. Maybe a G4/Altiverb/and Mbox/Apogee mini me maybe?

Hmmm...interesting.

The Sony you were thinking about is the 777.
I used it with a Titanium/rme, and there is no such latency.
there is two mode within the pluggin (at least hosted by cubase/nuendo, don't know for the others)
one is : no latency, and it is very proc consuming
one is with latency : and it is very less consuming

the latency of the card is about 4 ms, and it is workable (like an extra pre delay)

the natural sounding of that reverb is trully amazing.

you should give it a try

malice
Old 1st January 2003
Gear Guru

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
I used it with a Titanium/rme, and there is no such latency.
there is two mode within the pluggin (at least hosted by cubase/nuendo, don't know for the others)
one is : no latency, and it is very proc consuming
one is with latency : and it is very less consuming

the latency of the card is about 4 ms, and it is workable (like an extra pre delay)

the natural sounding of that reverb is trully amazing.

you should give it a try

malice

Can it work on G4 Titanium laptop? If it does it will give me a great excuse to buy one this year. heh

I prefer to have it closer to me on the console.

4ms is still too much for my blood.

I think if I do the laptop with the MBox(or Apogee Mini me) that might be my best bet.

I will start investigating it.

Au Revoir Mssr. Malice.yuktyy

or Just plain...Peace!!!
Old 2nd January 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Can it work on G4 Titanium laptop? If it does it will give me a great excuse to buy one this year. heh
That's exactly what I've been thinking about for the last couple of months... Well, you know how that kind of dilema usually ends up... heh
Old 2nd January 2003
Gear Guru

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by groundcontrol
That's exactly what I've been thinking about for the last couple of months... Well, you know how that kind of dilema usually ends up... heh
Well for me know its starting to look like a possibility.

I figure if I can do the whole setup for around $2.5K then it may be worth it. The trick is the soundcard. If I am doing conversions in and out of analog the soundcard is important. I am looking at the Apogee mini me right now.

A titanium powerbook(800mhz) maybe with an Apogee mini me and the Altiverb sitting on top of the console(with some internet happening) is starting to look mighty tasty.heh

The only problem is now there are starting to be too many remotes(Kurzweil,Yamaha,Roland and hopefully soon Eventide).grudge

I start adding the powerbook and now the sound reflecting off these remotes may start to become a problem.

By the way does anyone have a Sony remote for the 7 series they may want to sell?
Old 2nd January 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Well for me know its starting to look like a possibility.

I figure if I can do the whole setup for around $2.5K then it may be worth it. The trick is the soundcard. If I am doing conversions in and out of analog the soundcard is important. I am looking at the Apogee mini me right now.
the mini me has outputs thru the headphones, not blanced proper ones, beware ...
The input conversion might be sexy, but it is not a true in/out design.
Not even sure about asio driver and latency tut

rme is the fastest I found (thru PCM/CIA), I strongly doubt any USB/Firewire interface could reach less than 10 ms latency

best of luck

malice
Old 3rd January 2003
Gear Guru

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
the mini me has outputs thru the headphones, not blanced proper ones, beware ...
The input conversion might be sexy, but it is not a true in/out design.
Not even sure about asio driver and latency tut

rme is the fastest I found (thru PCM/CIA), I strongly doubt any USB/Firewire interface could reach less than 10 ms latency

best of luck

malice
Hey Malice,

Which RME card are using? How many inputs and outputs? Which Titanium? The reason i considered USB is that i did not want to add PCI slots to the powerbook(that will raise the price), also I will only be using the powerbook for the Altiverb. Something compact would work so I can take it with me to different sesions.

Have Altiverb will travel.heh
Old 3rd January 2003
Special Guest

🎧 15 years
I think he's probably talking about the RME Cardbus/Multiface combo... It's a PMCIA card and a breakout box with 8 analog I/O, ADAT, etc... you can check it out at:
http://www.rme-audio.de/english/hdsp/cardpci.htm
Old 3rd January 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
that's the one

Billy's right,

that's the one.
It is nice sounding, may be not apogee, but better I think that the Mbox.
18 i/o : 8 analog 96k (but that would be hard on the processor for the altiverb), ADAT and spdif/AES.
Plus midi (1 in 1 out)
latency is very short, and I guess it will be even shorter under OSX, although I didn't try it yet (not sure the plug exist for OSX yet).
I think Altiverb should exist in stand alone app, to minimise the processing (I would get rid of a host program if only to use it as an effect, may be I'll ask them if they are planing to do that).
I know that they are some VST plugs host programs, I can test one of them, may be it will work.
I have a 800 titanium, very please with it, but I bought it for small "on location" recordings, not for the altiverb at first.
Try to get a 1gHz titanium if you can, the more power, the better for altiverb.

Due to the originality of this concept, I strongly advise you to try it before buying ...It is not because I like it, that you'll like it ...

best of luck

malice
Old 3rd January 2003
Special Guest

🎧 15 years
Re: that's the one

Quote:
Billy's right,

that's the one.
18 i/o : 8 analog 96k (but that would be hard on the processor for the altiverb), ADAT and spdif/AES.
Plus midi (1 in 1 out)
latency is very short, and I guess it will be even shorter under OSX, although I didn't try it yet (not sure the plug exist for OSX yet).
I think Altiverb should exist in stand alone app, to minimise the processing (I would get rid of a host program if only to use it as an effect, may be I'll ask them if they are planing to do that).
I know that they are some VST plugs host programs, I can test one of them, may be it will work.
I have a 800 titanium, very please with it, but I bought it for small "on location" recordings, not for the altiverb at first.

Due to the originality of this concept, I strongly advise you to try it before buying ...It is not because I like it, that you'll like it ...

best of luck

malice
I had been toying around with the same idea and was wondering how it would work with the multiface locked to word clock from a 192 I/O and staying in the digital realm using the ADAT I/O's... I'd be interested in seeing how much latency was involved then. Have you ever tried that route, Malice?

Billy Bush
Old 3rd January 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Re: Re: that's the one

Quote:
Originally posted by Billy Bush
I had been toying around with the same idea and was wondering how it would work with the multiface locked to word clock from a 192 I/O and staying in the digital realm using the ADAT I/O's... I'd be interested in seeing how much latency was involved then. Have you ever tried that route, Malice?

Billy Bush
I tried that with the Motu rig I have at home.
It worked
But I didn't noticed a dramatic improvement of the latency that way ...

Might try it more extensively and report ...

That leads me to this idea ...mmh

Is there some kind of plug that does a compensation delay (I know in Steinberg/logic realm you have).
That way you can use it on a send to compensate the latency totaly

hehe, more testing to do, but that could work like a charm in the full digital situation

malice
Old 3rd January 2003
Gear Guru

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Re: that's the one

Quote:
Billy's right,

that's the one.
Plus midi (1 in 1 out)

best of luck

malice
'

Well Malice i need a second Mac anyway. I did start looking on the prices of a 1ghz Titanium and it is doable for me(around $1800-2200 used).

The Altiverb is only $700 so even if I don't like it I can always sell it(or trade it for something).

The RME is the only thing that I am so-so on. I will be using it both analog and digitally so the card has to perform. Unfortunately its not something I can just buy and sell(RME is not as popular here in the states). But is definitely an option for me.

Hopefully i will get the whole system together by the end of this month!!!!
Old 4th January 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I agree with the reservations about the RME card. Please report on how it turns out as I'm interested in a similar setup.
Old 10th November 2006 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Did you try out the Altiverb Thrill?

What did you think?

Rene
πŸ“ Reply