🎧 15 years
Soundelux U195 vs BLUE Baby Bottle

Will their be situations where the blue will outperform the U195? Lates

jc
Old 21st December 2002
Gear Guru

7 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Possibly only where a singer or sound source has a very unmusical pronounced peak above 8k, because the Baby Bottle is attenuated in the high frequencies and that would fix the problem...however, using the 'FAT' switch on the U195 can go a long way towards the sound being percieved as having an attenuated high end, but only because the lows are boosted at that point on the U195 making the microphone sound less airy and more low frequency dominant.
Old 21st December 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Re: Soundelux U195 vs BLUE Baby Bottle

Quote:
Originally posted by jjaacc1
Will their be situations where the blue will outperform the U195?
No.
Old 22nd December 2002
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years

Quote:

Yes.
Old 22nd December 2002
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Quote:

Maybe.
Old 22nd December 2002
There is only one

🎧 15 years

Quote:
Old 22nd December 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years

Quote:
Perhaps. I lost my hammer one day, and my assistant's Baby Bottle looked much better for the job than a U195. Many folks seem to dig the Baby Bottle on Guitar cabs, but it didn't twist my fancy, that is to say, every other mic I had at my disposal sounded better. The baby's dad, the Bottle mic on the other hand is awesome esspecially on Dual Rect, AC VOX, and Dumble's...
Old 23rd December 2002
One with big hooves

🎧 15 years

Quote:
Of course. Both of those mics sound pretty different.
Old 23rd December 2002
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years

Quote:

And in a 'side by side' comparison, I've found out they look completely different also.

.........must........stop...................smart ass...................remarks!
Old 23rd December 2002
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
The Baby Bottle is brilliant on hard-strummed acoustic guitars that sit inside a mix. The U195 in this application is too bright (even in FAT mode). The Baby Bottle's rolled-off top lets the wood of the guitars come through more than the string.

The Baby Bottle on a guitar amp will sound very different than a U195 (midrangey vs. full-range).

I found the Baby Bottle pretty useless on vocals, and the U195 pretty awesome. Very different sounding mics, both very cool.

-- David Tobocman
Old 24th December 2002
One with big hooves

🎧 15 years
Ok, it finally happened. Today the Baby Bottle just sounded ****ing horrible on a Bassman reissue. The 57 and 421 combination killed it. It was bound to sound bad on a guitar amp at some point.
Old 24th December 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
For heavy guitar tone normally dual rectifiers, jcm2000's, ect... does the baby bottle usually beat a 57? I normally go with a 57 but it sometimes sounds a little peaky and doesnt have quite enough low end. I love the sound of a royer, but dont have the cash for one. Is the BB somewhat a substitute for one? Or should I just stay with a 57 and some EQ?
Old 24th December 2002
Gear Guru

7 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by planet red
For heavy guitar tone normally dual rectifiers, jcm2000's, ect... does the baby bottle usually beat a 57? I normally go with a 57 but it sometimes sounds a little peaky and doesnt have quite enough low end. I love the sound of a royer, but dont have the cash for one. Is the BB somewhat a substitute for one? Or should I just stay with a 57 and some EQ?

I have been disliking SM-57's for quite some time on guitars. I agree that they are extremely peaky and mostly harsh sounding on guitar amps. It's been over a year since I've put one on an amp. The Sennheiser MD 421 II is an excellent sounding dynamic IMO...it can be put right up to the speaker and is very balanced with just the right amount of proximity. It combines very well with a Royer 121 or 122 as well as the iFET7 from Soundelux in "I" mode, but for a $300 mic the Sennheiser could almost be used exclusively on guitars if need be.
Old 25th December 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I have a couple 421's and they sound phasey and weird to me on guitar amps. They usually go between toms and bass amps. I'm curious as to who else is using the BB for guitar cabs. I'd go for a beyer 160, but have the feeling I'd be getting the ribbon replaced all the time and cant swing the extra bucks for a royer.
Old 25th December 2002
Don
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Just used a BB on a elec. track{Marshall 50w 1/2 stack}close up2" from grill and a KSM44 in fig8 at about 8" off...The Blue did a good job..It did take quite a bit of pading{inline variable}.Sounded nice and full ..My only ribbon mic is a Oktava ML19{older mic}it is smoother but the Bluebottle has more "presents"..This was my first use with the Bluebottle so it will take some time to find out if I really like it..I do like 421's on guitar amps also
Old 25th December 2002
Don
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Jay Kahrs
Ok, it finally happened. Today the Baby Bottle just sounded ****ing horrible on a Bassman reissue. The 57 and 421 combination killed it. It was bound to sound bad on a guitar amp at some point.
Was it because the Bassman is a cleaner amp and the B.Bottle tended to smear? curious just got a B.Bottle
Old 25th December 2002
One with big hooves

🎧 15 years
Good question. We're not really sure what was going on. During basics I plopped the BB in front of the amp which was in an iso booth and we spent about 30 minutes getting it into the right spot. For overdubs I set up a few mics. A 57 and 421 with the capsules aligned on one speaker and the BB on another speaker. There was also a 414 in omni used for a room mic. None of the mics were on the grille, maybe a foot back with the 414 about 5 feet back. On one song it added some low mid meat but on another song it had more low mids but the top was just really really harsh an brought out the amps nasal upper mids.

This Bassman is being run pretty much flat out with a THD Hot Plate to bring it back a to a reasonable level. I still needed to pad the output of the BB by 20dB. Anyway, the Bassman cab with 4x10's can get kind of weird on the upper mids. I think the peak on the BB just matched it on this one song and made it really bad. When we pushed up the fader with the 421 it sounded much better. But, the tracks from the same amp, mic and preamp in the booth sound great so go figure.
πŸ“ Reply