The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Analog Delay vs ptools plugins What's the diff??
Old 21st December 2002
no ssl yet 🎙️
Analog Delay vs ptools plugins What's the diff??

Guys I'm not really experienced in using the old delay classics. I'm considering a DSP upgrade for my mix system. And since a great deal of my processing power goes to delays/reverbs, I'm thinking about whether it would be wise to save dsp money (Since I don't want to invest too much in my mix system) and pick up some delay units ala Line6 or maybe symetrix 606. I know this will involve using inserts and the inherrent delay of ptools but I think it might be something I should look into.

Opinions??????
Old 21st December 2002
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
If you have the I/O to spare, "real" delays are the way to go, forget the Line 6, ANY 80`s Korg SDD series will kill it...
I have an SDD-1200 and a SDD-3000, and they sound really great.
A little noisy, but the delays are smoother and sits in the mix much more than a Line 6 delay can ever do....
And yes, I have I line 6 delay too, but it´s now in my guitar rig, replacing my Echoplex in need for repair.... I miss it!

The Roland SDE series also sounds great, AMS, TC2290......

Amund
Old 22nd December 2002
Gear Guru

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Re: Analog Delay vs ptools plugins What's the diff??

Quote:
Originally posted by no ssl yet
Guys I'm not really experienced in using the old delay classics. I'm considering a DSP upgrade for my mix system. And since a great deal of my processing power goes to delays/reverbs, I'm thinking about whether it would be wise to save dsp money (Since I don't want to invest too much in my mix system) and pick up some delay units ala Line6 or maybe symetrix 606. I know this will involve using inserts and the inherrent delay of ptools but I think it might be something I should look into.

Opinions??????
You can get buy with the basic Digi delays(i think the version 2 of their digi delays are cool in HD. Tempo and subdivisions which i think is the same in the mixplus) for a lot of your meat and potatoes.

For certain things nothing beats a nice outboard delay.

I would say have both.
Old 22nd December 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Re: Re: Analog Delay vs ptools plugins What's the diff??

Quote:
Originally posted by thethrillfactor
You can get buy with the basic Digi delays(i think the version 2 of their digi delays are cool in HD. Tempo and subdivisions which i think is the same in the mixplus) for a lot of your meat and potatoes.

For certain things nothing beats a nice outboard delay.

I would say have both.

I agree, for general use the digi delays do their job well ... very well. yet sometimes nothing beats my tc-electronics for delay. (fireworks and sys 6000) the 960 has delays too now, haven't fooled around with those yet.
📝 Reply