Quantcast
Sony DMXr-100? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Sony DMXr-100?
Old 21st December 2002
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Sony DMXr-100?

I am seriously considering buying the Sony DMXr-100. Any reasons why I should or shouldn't?
I am a Musician, who produces my own stuff, occasionally do some producing for others, mainly am looking for information on the quality of the Equalizers in the Board. Also how do the Preamps do in comparison with other Boards?
Thanks
Zak
Old 21st December 2002
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Hi,

I looked into purchasing this console when it orginally came out. To be honest, I personally don't understand the hype about this board. I do think it is an amazing control surface, but I really disliked the EQ. I remember putting a CD through a couple of channels and remembering that I couldn't hear a boost at 100hz until I wound in 5db of gain! I also found the top end very brittle. To me it didn't come close to the Renaissance EQ plug ins. So if you want "digital" EQ, I think you could do a lot better. I ended up getting an analog console which I love. Granted it cost me way more than the Sony. I really wanted to love the Sony board, it would have made life a lot simpler in terms of patching and ease of setting up, but for me it didn't cut it. Nor did the on board compression.

I suggest you spend a little time with it and make up your own mind. I'm sure like any gear, there are some people who are getting great results from the console. I unfortunately, was just not into it.

Good luck........
Old 21st December 2002
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Re: Sony DMXr-100?

Quote:
Originally posted by Zakmakhak
I am seriously considering buying the Sony DMXr-100. Any reasons why I should or shouldn't?
I am a Musician, who produces my own stuff, occasionally do some producing for others, mainly am looking for information on the quality of the Equalizers in the Board. Also how do the Preamps do in comparison with other Boards?
Thanks
Zak

R100 forum is here .

It works lazy at 96k, max of 32-36 dig I/O (unless you break out the MADI card), changing the sample frequency requires a reboot of the console.

Eq's are the absolute ****. Sound is clear and sweet. Routing = A+; ease of use A; no fan noise, I could go on and on....... check the forum out, go back to threads for at least 1 yr....

NYC Drew
Old 21st December 2002
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
"Eq's are the absolute ****"

This may have been a typo......... I think he meant

Eq's are absolute ****.

Old 21st December 2002
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by everglass
Hi,

...I remember putting a CD through a couple of channels and remembering that I couldn't hear a boost at 100hz until I wound in 5db of gain...
Perhaps you have become accustomed to hearing the analog artifacts (ie phase shift) associated with eq'ing?

Not splitting hairs with you about nuttin else.

-------------------

No, I meant the eq's are the absolute ****, as in good ****.
NYC Drew
Old 21st December 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Ditto to what Drew Said, I have two years with this console, and it abosutely kills anything near it's pricepoint.

Mr Wagner has two..
Old 21st December 2002
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Hey NYC Drew,

Thanks for your post. You may well be right. But I do hear a change when using, as I mentioned the Renaissance EQ plug ins or Focusrite Pug ins on Protools or Logic Native versions.

As I mentioned, I am sure plenty of people are using the console with great success, it just didn't do it for me.

Cheers and Merry Christmas.
Old 21st December 2002
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Everglass, no worries, no sweat

What was your "Q" setting?

Unless my memory fails me, I believe one or two guys hooked up a DMX to some sophisticated measuring equipment (no, not ears! ) and the changes made on the R100 were accurately reflected on the etst gear -

there was a big to do about this 20+ months ago, maybe on the forum that was formerly hosted by Roger Nicols?

Don't get me wrong, there are many "issues" I have with the R100, and SONY (by extension)....

Enjoy your holidays too.

NYC Drew
Old 21st December 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I've never know anyone that has spent any time on the R100 that didn't come away thinking it sounded great. Sure, like anything else it has issues (lack of I/O, and having to use floppies are my big ones) but for $13k with those faders, eq, and the way it sums....... I love mine. If you want something that's as fast as analog with a knob per function and total automation and recall-ability that sounds smooth and sweet, the dmx is it.
drew (the other one with a dmx)
Old 21st December 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Everything Drew said are my sentiments exactly, and I would add that it is the summing power of this console, together with the 10 bit faders, that puts it in a class by itself as far as small format digital consoles go. If you want a controller, don't get it. If you want a plug-in machine, don't get it. If you're going to be mixing music, and you want to do it on a compact, real audio console, I think it's the best value for it's price range. That the overall sonics of this desk are great is not even arguable, IMO.

Oh, one other thing - I've had mine for nearly two years, and I never realized just how good the EQs are until I started using ADAMs. I definitely hear them now, or rather, I hear what they do now.
Old 21st December 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by everglass
"Eq's are the absolute ****"

This may have been a typo......... I think he meant

Eq's are absolute ****.

FINALLY! Someone that agrees with me. The EQ's on this and the oxford are horrid. The 15k-sh doesn't sound half bad, it's at least useable, but anything higher than that sounds brittle and non-airey. The low end is purely racid. God help me if I want to eq a kick drum. I tried tight Q's, wide Q's, everything... I even asked the Sony tech at one studio to double check the digital clock in case that might have been influencing the sound. Sweeping the eq's sounds stairstep to my ears. I've never had to "work" an eq so hard. If it had the eq's of say, a capricorn, it would totally be a great deal. Everyone else seems to dig them, but when I'm "stuck" on one, I feel like someone handed me a hammer when I needed a screwdriver.
Old 22nd December 2002
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Thanks alot for your answers to my inquiry people....
From what you describe this board sounds like what I need.
As to the ease of patchability that you descirbe, can you explain. Say I hook up my Outboard Compressors, EQ's, etc. and want to patch a Chain, is my understanding right that I can do so without any recabling? Is there an AD-DA transfer between each link in the chain, or does the board only transfer once at beginning and end. So far I have only worked with Analog Mixers, so I don't really know about this issue....
As to the EQ's: are the ones found in the DMXr100 at all comparable to the Oxford EQ Plug in (I own the version for TC Powercore, and find it to be quite sweet....)
Have a great Weekend....
Zak
Old 22nd December 2002
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
I really, really like my DMX-R100. I have had it for a year. I think the EQ's are colorless and work fine. I have mine set up with: 24 analog in's on the patch bay (I have a **** load of analog outboard gear) and another 24 in's via light pipe (ADAT XT20's). So, I've got instant mult, so to speak. I can push up the fader of a digi in channel using the onboard compressor and EQ, if I like. Then I can flip to the second set of in's and patch an analog compressor, etc. Also,the matrix routing thing is simply amazing providing seamingly endless possibilities. Anything can come in, out, up anywhere. It's insane.
Benjy
Old 22nd December 2002
VIP

🎧 15 years
I've been working on my DMXs for over two years now. I really like the boards. Great sounding consoles. The EQs and compressors are not of your "colored" variety, but I don't have any problems getting great sounds with them. They are very transparent and do what they are supposed to do. If you are looking for color, use an outboard unit (plenty of colors to pick from).

The routing is fantastic (and storable) with the exception of the fact that there is no internal subgrouping (being able to route a bus out back into a channel) There are workarounds, but it would be nice if it could be done with a button push. I agree with Randy that if you are looking for a DAW controller check in with Yamaha.

I've worked on plenty of SSLs, Neves, MCIs, Harrisons and whatever else is out there, none of them come close the little Sony in recallability and automation functions. Sony has constantly been updating the software and it's now on version 2.2x. The earlier versions had some bugs and quirks, but those are now history and everything is working great. No major maintainance problems over the last two years and any problems (mostly pilot error) were instsantly attended to by Sony. If you are working in the digital domain it's a great board to have.

Zakmakhak, if you have the time, come by WireWorld and work on the boards for a day so you can find out for yourself.
Old 22nd December 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by mwagener
Sony has constantly been updating the software and it's now on version 2.2x. The earlier versions had some bugs and quirks, but those are now history and everything is working great. No major maintainance problems over the last two years and any problems (mostly pilot error) were instsantly attended to by Sony. If you are working in the digital domain it's a great board to have.
These updates you speak of... Are they just to fix bugs? Do they improve functionality? What about the sound? Was there an update to the dynamics section? Sony does seem to be supporting it better than most other digital console manufacturers.
Old 22nd December 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
[B]I've been working on my DMXs for over two years now. I really like the boards. Great sounding consoles. The EQs and compressors are not of your "colored" variety, but I don't have any problems getting great sounds with them. They are very transparent and do what they are supposed to do. If you are looking for color, use an outboard unit (plenty of colors to pick from).
I've worked on plenty of SSLs, Neves, MCIs, Harrisons and whatever else is out there, none of them come close the little Sony in recallability and automation functions. Sony has constantly been updating the software and it's now on version 2.2x. The earlier versions had some bugs and quirks, but those are now history and everything is working great. No major maintainance problems over the last two years and any problems (mostly pilot error) were instsantly attended to by Sony. If you are working in the digital domain it's a great board to have.
]
Michael, you're working with Protools? How do you handle the routing? Do you have like 2 of the 192's and one of the digital interfaces? I've been thinking of a sony but also thought about getting a smaller analog console and using the hui for controlling
Ptools. I guess a board is only part of the equation,thanks
Daniel
Old 22nd December 2002
There is only one

🎧 15 years
he uses an Euphonix R1, not protools.

i found the routing to be better than a typical analog board but not even within 10% of the routing within using DP... i guess i have just become spoiled with convenience.
Old 22nd December 2002
VIP

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by e-cue
These updates you speak of... Are they just to fix bugs? Do they improve functionality? What about the sound? Was there an update to the dynamics section? Sony does seem to be supporting it better than most other digital console manufacturers.
Some of them were bug fixes, most of them improved functionality and automation features. IMHO the sound doesn't need improving. I don't think the dynamic section was changed. Yes, it looks like Sony is very much behind this console. They came up with a bunch of additonal equipment, like the remote control mic pres and an extension box.

Quote:
Michael, you're working with Protools? How do you handle the routing? Do you have like 2 of the 192's and one of the digital interfaces? I've been thinking of a sony but also thought about getting a smaller analog console and using the hui for controlling
Ptools. I guess a board is only part of the equation,thanks
Daniel
Daniel, no I'm not working with PT. I use a Euphonix R-1 hard disc recorder (which I like a lot) It has editing capabilies very similar to PT but no plugins, basically a digital Meat and Potatoes setup, separate board - separate recorder - separate signal processing. At this time the R-1 is connected via the Euphonix FC727 to 3 AES cards in each of the boards and the remaining AES card in each board is used for interconnection between the consoles and additional digital I/O for the M6000/KSP8 etc. Yesterday I ordered two MADI cards for the Sonys. With those cards installed, the R-1 will be connected directly via the Euphonix Studio Hub, which has a MADI patchbay. That will free up the other 3 AES cards for digital I/O (24 channels each console), so a lot of my digital gear is going to be connected dirtectly to the boards, which is great, because the patching can be stored with the title and a recall will take exactly 3 seconds plus the time to recall the settings in the outboard gear.

Like I said above, if you are looking to control PT with the console, it is the wrong console for you, the Yamaha DM 2000 does that a lot better, but if you are working in digital it's IMO the best sounding console out there.
Old 23rd December 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I have a Mix3 rig strapped to my DMX, I just use PT as a recorder/editor, with the occasional submix going on ( I only have 32 digital outs from PT) Works great for me, although if I had not had PT already, I def would not have spent this much cash on a PT rig to do what I have it do.
Old 23rd December 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Daniel, no I'm not working with PT. I use a Euphonix R-1 hard disc recorder (which I like a lot) It has editing capabilies very similar to PT but no plugins, basically a digital Meat and Potatoes setup, separate board - separate recorder - separate signal processing. At this time the R-1 is connected via the Euphonix FC727 to 3 AES cards in each of the boards and the remaining AES card in each board is used for interconnection between the consoles and additional digital I/O for the M6000/KSP8 etc. Yesterday I ordered two MADI cards for the Sonys. With those cards installed, the R-1 will be connected directly via the Euphonix Studio Hub, which has a MADI patchbay. That will free up the other 3 AES cards for digital I/O (24 channels each console), so a lot of my digital gear is going to be connected dirtectly to the boards, which is great, because the patching can be stored with the title and a recall will take exactly 3 seconds plus the time to recall the settings in the outboard gear.
[/B]
Michael, thanks for the info on your setup, out of my league for now I guess, but sounds like a great setup

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted bySteve Smith
I have a Mix3 rig strapped to my DMX, I just use PT as a recorder/editor, with the occasional submix going on ( I only have 32 digital outs from PT) Works great for me, although if I had not had PT already, I def would not have spent this much cash on a PT rig to do what I have it do. [QUOTE][

Steve, what are you using for pres? Do you use the board pre much? Well this too is out of my league but yah know, future research
Daniel
Old 23rd December 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I am but a gear trap, ( or is it Gear loose?) when it comes to great pres.. I use the board pres a bunch on toms, hats, guitars, ruff vox.. The pres in my Voxboxes and CIB beat them, but they are not bad IMHO.. just gotta find the right use.
Old 23rd December 2002
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Anybody got any clues as to what the best price in Europe might be?
As usual the US seems to be on to a better deal.
Old 23rd December 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
In the US you have to buy directly from SONY, the dealer just puts you in touch with the head office. I sent my cashiers check to Sony directly.. no real "offical" deals here.
Old 23rd December 2002
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Steve Smith
In the US you have to buy directly from SONY, the dealer just puts you in touch with the head office. I sent my cashiers check to Sony directly.. no real "offical" deals here.

...dealers still get a couple hundred (maybe even a thou before the price cut) for a sale. Some dealers are willing to invoice minus a portion of their commission if the sale is low hassle.

That didn't happen for me. Just my thoughts. I really can't take anymore nasty letters from Attys....

did I say that out loud?

NYC Drew
Old 23rd December 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I did not write my check directly to Sony and there is wiggle room in the price.
drew
Old 23rd December 2002
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
I've seen a few people talking prices well below the European levels on a few forums.
Of course it could just be talk.
The rough european prices I've seen have been in the $16,000(US) area for the basic unit.
Old 24th December 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
remember, even if there is no wiggle in the price of the DMX, there is allways the other gear you are buying

not that that happened to me either...
Old 3rd June 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
DMX-R100

I just Purchased a new Sony DMX-R100 I can tell you where the best deal in the US is. 330-699-7090
Old 3rd June 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
What are the shortcomings with the DMXR100 - as in what changes would you like to see made on it?

Now you guys have me thinking about picking one of these up. I had been looking at strictly analog boards, but with all of the praise that the Sony is receiving.....
Old 3rd June 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Nevermind - I just saw NYC Drew's link to the DMXR100 forums.
πŸ“ Reply