Quantcast
Sony DMXr-100? - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Sony DMXr-100?
Old 3rd June 2003
Here for the gear

๐ŸŽง 15 years
The Sony Eq is Great. I can't even imagine someone having a problem with them! The expanders are the best and the compressors work just fine. Compared to plug-ins...we're on the floor laughing. Talk about ****. As an aside, we use the insert board to go to our rack of analog, but multing from the recorder seems like the way to go.
Old 4th June 2003
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Steve Smith
In the US you have to buy directly from SONY, the dealer just puts you in touch with the head office. I sent my cashiers check to Sony directly.. no real "offical" deals here.
Steve,

This is no longer the case. There are now four Sony Pro Audio Distributors in the USA. I happen to be one of them. Now you can simply buy the console from any Sony dealer and write the check to them.

I too have a DMX-R100 for my studio, but I will only say I love the console and that my opinions should not be considered, but I have been working with it for almost three years now...
Old 4th June 2003
Here for the gear

๐ŸŽง 15 years
4 months ago, I was in the market for a mixer and was really thinking about getting a DMX-R100. I talked to Michael W. about it and got some good advice.

I ended up finding and booking a studio with one and tried running it at 96Khz.. Oh my God! It was sluggish and cut 1/2 of everything. Also, the console is very easy to scratch so you have to be careful when installing cards, etc...

It's really tempting to get one and it's fine if you're running 48Khz but if it's 96Khz, you can just forget it. Not worth 1/2 of everything and the sluggish feel of the board.

Anyways, I ended up getting a Manley mixer with cranesong/manley equalizers and compressors (my main system is a PT HD4).
Old 5th June 2003
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 15 years
New Sony Dealer

If I was buying a Sony DMX-R100 I would call Perfection Music
I cant believe how low the prices are
They are a new Sony dealer 330-699-1976
Old 8th June 2003
Gear Maniac

๐ŸŽง 15 years
I wasn't impressed by the EQs like I thought I should've been. At moderately high Qs, the phasing got weird just every other digital EQ I've worked with. This problem wasn't as obvious as Waves Ren EQ at similar Qs, but I tend to not do as much high Q surgery with the Renassaince.

The latency kind of bugged me as well. In addition to having that slight DAW-ish wait to hear little things, I would have to wait to the count of three or so to change screens.

Do you guys use a Palm Pilot pen for the screen? I was jabbin' it pretty hard.

Although I thought most things about the console were alright, I thought it was a bit redundant that the one I used was hooked up to an HD system. If you can live with its two-buss (I don't think the Sony's is necessarily better), you've got "everything" (hah) you need, plus you can get the Oxford plugs. Grab a Control 24 for chump change, and you're there.
Old 8th June 2003
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
๐ŸŽง 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Anonymatt
I wasn't impressed by the EQs like I thought I should've been. At moderately high Qs, the phasing got weird just every other digital EQ I've worked with. This problem wasn't as obvious as Waves Ren EQ at similar Qs, but I tend to not do as much high Q surgery with the Renassaince.

The latency kind of bugged me as well. In addition to having that slight DAW-ish wait to hear little things, I would have to wait to the count of three or so to change screens.

Do you guys use a Palm Pilot pen for the screen? I was jabbin' it pretty hard.

Although I thought most things about the console were alright, I thought it was a bit redundant that the one I used was hooked up to an HD system. If you can live with its two-buss (I don't think the Sony's is necessarily better), you've got "everything" (hah) you need, plus you can get the Oxford plugs. Grab a Control 24 for chump change, and you're there.

I have to say that I don't agree with your assessment of the EQ's, personally I've never had any problems with good digital eq's such as the Sony, as for the "phasey" characteristic of digital eq at narrow Q settings I would suggest it is the lack of phase shift that you are hearing in comparison with an analogue equalizer.

All this being said, I would agree with you that using a Pro-tools rig, possibly a pro control would be a better choice particularly regarding the price difference. I use my DMX with a Pyramix system and a lot more of my work these days is surround so the monitor section is really useful for me. All this coupled with quality mic amps (what I consider) good EQ and decent compressors it fits my bill. Many of my projects although they are on tight budgets, involve high end products so quality is a real issue. Due to the budgets I can't invest in Neve, SSL, API etc, though this isn't a concern to my customers, so I have to "buy smart" and the DMX fitted my brief perfectly.

Regards

Roland

P.S. Michael if you read this post, I would love to hear a copy of your recent surround project. Perhaps Jules could pass it on to me after he's finished giving it a good listen.
Old 9th June 2003
Here for the gear

๐ŸŽง 15 years
dmx

If you're using Pro Tools, this console is probably too advanced. The crappy focusrite pre's in the Pro Conrtol are no match for the Sony sound, although we only use the Sony pre's for drums. Unlike Slow Tools this thing never bogs down even with full EQ and Compression. the touch screen sensitivity is just right and the more we use it, the faster we get.
๐Ÿ“ Reply