The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Neotek Elite Tips
Old 19th December 2002
Gear Maniac

๐ŸŽง 15 years
Neotek Elite Tips

Hey everyone,

We are almost finished installing our Elite II desk in the studio. I have never mixed on these before and I wanted to get some tips, tricks, and gotchas from people who have used these desks before.

How hard should I hit the mix buss to get to the sweet spot? What about individual channels? etc....

Thanks so much.
Old 20th December 2002
Gear Head

๐ŸŽง 15 years
With most Neoteks in general:

-Hit the line inputs reasonably hard, esp. w/ lo end/bass stuff. Don't let the pinned meters scare you. You don't really get the "sound" of the board unless you work it a little.(as with any good analog console)
-Hit the 2 mix right a O VU, never over. You will get muddy mixes if you go over O VU on the 2 mix.
-the Elite has great HPF's, use them to help clean up the low end.(ie. roll-off low end energy in other tracks besides the bass, in order to make bass clearer.)
-depending on what type of faders you have installed, the monitor path usually is preferable to the fader path for recording.

Good Luck!
Old 20th December 2002
Gear Maniac

๐ŸŽง 15 years
What is the best way to calibrate the board? Is it best to set it up so that each channel is set to 0db VU on a +4 1khz test tone? Will that be enough headroom with hot digital tracks or will this overload the channels and the mix buss too fast?

Secondly, are most console set up that the mix pan and the track pan are always fixed. That is the track pan is always at the top the channel and the mix pan is always close to bottom or the long fader. If you hit REV, does the pan knobs stay to the same paths?

Just trying to figure out the best way of doing subgroups and such.

Also on my console I have noticed that the mix pan has an approximate -4.5 attention in the center, but the track pan is only -2.5. Is this common on Elites? My board was heavily modified and I am trying to figure out if this is a mod also.
Old 21st December 2002
Gear Head

๐ŸŽง 15 years
I believe the pan pots "flip" along with the fader. At least, that's how it works on my Elan. I never noticed the pan attenuation difference between "monitor" and "fader" paths on an Elite, but it's been ahwile since I've mixed on one.
As far, as channel calibration; I'd recommend setting O VU on the channels= +4dbm. If you using a DAW that can be calibrated (ala PT TDM), I'd also align O VU to = -16dbFS.

When studios first started incorporating Pro Tools type recorders into professional mixing enviroments; I believe a lot of people didn't like the sound of digital because, in general, most engineers wouldn't think to align the analog in's and out's so that signal would go into and out of the the DAW at the optimum operating level for the console. Often times, I'd go do a freelance gig at another studio to find that :

A-the Pro Tools outputs were so quiet ,that the console EQ's didn't sound good simply because there wasn't enough signal to work with. or,

B-the outputs were so loud theat the signal was clipping at the consoles line input.

These were the same people complaining about digital. That's also my biggest problem with the ADAT's and DA-88's. You cannot calibrate them to work at the optimum range of your analog gear. It's either +4 or -10dbm. I suspect that DA-88's sound better simply because the output is a little hotter.

I personally prefer having the channel inputs calibrated to O VU. Oh, I almost forgot, if memory serves me correctly, the channel meters on the Elite are post EQ. So whether your working with tape or a DAW; get comfortable seeing red, lit up meters after an EQ boost. You may be tempted in those situations to back off the line input, but I say leave it be and try to get used to the pinned LED's.
Also, get comfortable with the mic pre's LED's lighting up regularly. I think the red-flashing light in means "signal present" as opposed to " dignal overloading". If you don't hear distortion, leave it be. The Neotek mic-pre's are really nice. I used to be really snobby about using outboard-pre's, and I still have a few I like; but I don't think twice about using the console pre on drums,gtrs,vocals...

Good Luck!
Old 23rd December 2002
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 15 years
I bought a soaked 32x24 neotek series II and rebuilt 10 modules and racked um'. upgraded op amps etc. they get constant use. I agree with the rest of you, they're underrated. If anybody needs parts, let me know!!!!!
๐Ÿ“ Reply